Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blue Plaques.

Noticed acouple recently, Any new ones around South East London ?
I think to have one placed on a building the person concerned must have been dead for at least 20 years.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know about new, but HG Wells in Bromley, Pyotr Kropotkin (also Bromley), WG Grace - Mottingham, and CB Fry - Croydon have blue plaques.

And yep you have to have been dead for 20 years.
  • Options
    And Emile Zola in Upper Norwood.
  • Options
    Here is a list for Bromley area;

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/environment/conservation_urban_design/blueplaques/
  • Options
    Thought I'd just google "Blue Plaques":
    Theres flipping millions of pages !!
  • Options
    Not sure that list is complete.

No HG Wells and doesn't Lord Kinnaird have one too.

And Jimmy Seed should have one. I can feel a campaign coming on.
  • Options
    blue plaques

Try this MOG
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This isn't real.

It should be.
  • Options
    HG Wells' plaque might be a LB Bromley plaque rather than an English Heritage plaque- if you mean the one that was outside the old Allders store on the High Street.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]HG Wells' plaque might be a LB Bromley plaque rather than an English Heritage plaque- if you mean the one that was outside the old Allders store on the High Street.

Could be.
  • Options
    Incorrect Henry:
  • Options
    wendy richards has not been dead 20 years and she got one... or is this a different foundation?

pauline
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]wendy richards has not been dead 20 years and she got one... or is this a different foundation?

pauline

Different Foundation I think

Should be one like this on the Thames Barrier/Lads of the Village pub (in red of course)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I don't know about new, but HG Wells in Bromley, Pyotr Kropotkin (also Bromley), WG Grace - Mottingham, and CB Fry - Croydon have blue plaques.

And yep you have to have been dead for 20 years.

What about the detective guy in Baker St.? He didnt even live but they gave him one.
  • Options
    Good idea (Sir) Henry.
    Now, if we can just find someone on the Board (or even an ex-member) to start this campaign............
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Good idea (Sir) Henry.
    Now, if we can just find someone on the Board (or even an ex-member) to start this campaign............
    ;-)

Peter Varney?
  • Options
    I did some research on Blue Plaques recently for work. There are several different organisations that grant them - most local councils, but some just dedicated to a specific field (academic or otherwise). All have slightly different criteria. Most have the 'dead for a decade' or two decades rule, but some grant them to living people too (like Southwark Council, who put one on Rio Ferdinand's childhood home!).

The main and most revered one is the English Heritage scheme.
  • Options
    There's one on Charlton Church Lane to Italo Svevo, an Italian author, who lived there until the 1920s. He wrote a lot about his impressions of life in the area, can't remember for sure if he mentioned CAFC though (most of his time was before The Valley opened).
  • Options
    Eltham has quite a few:

3 that I found with a quick google search were:

Bob Hope - Craigton Road
    Richard Jefferies - Footscray Road
    Herbert Morrison - Archery Road

Think we should start a campaign up for Louise Nurding/Redknapp who is Eltham born and bred and was educated at Christ Church on Shooters Hill!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    General Gordon was born in Woolwich, his house on Woolwich Common Road had a Blue Plaque and in 1970 it was announced the house was to be demoliished so we went armed with a crowbar to rescue it. We couldn't budge it so we took the letter box and door knocker instead...
  • Options
    Thought Henry Irving was alive and kicking on this site but found a blue plaque
    Henry Irving 1838-1905 lived here 15a Grafton Street W1
    1905 now who was born then ............................

Charlton Athletic...................
  • Options
    Jade Goody must be getting one.
  • Options
    One of the most recent plaques to be unveiled was in Southwark at the birthplace of one Edward Turner. He was the driving force behind Triumph Motorcycles Ltd. in their glory years of the '30s to the '70s. He rose through the ranks to become Chairman/Chief Exec. But when he retired things started falling apart, a bit like us and Jimmy Seed! The plaque is in Philip Walk, Camberwell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And Emile Zola in Upper Norwood.

There is also one in Upper Norwood for Camille Pissaro.
  • Options
    Charles Darwin??
  • Options
    Arthur Conan Doyle has got one near Palarse's ground - Park Road?

Maybe Sherlock was a Nigel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Arthur Conan Doyle has got one near Palarse's ground - Park Road?

Maybe Sherlock was a Nigel.

Never. ACD lived there before Palace existed.

He did play football when young and living in Portsmouth but not for Pompey as often reported.

Also played cricket for the MCC and once bowled out WG Grace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Charles Darwin??

He has a house/museum dedicated to him, I thought the plaque thing was to remember people who once lived in a house or were born on the site of a house that has since been demolished.
  • Options
    Barnes Wallis has one opposite New Cross bus garage