Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blue Plaques.

2»

Comments

• Options
    A few years back when at the Imperial War Museum, I noticed that one of the houses across the road had a blue plaque for Captain Bligh.

Captain Cook has a memorial tablet of slate erected in 1970 on the site of his house in Mile End Road with an inscription commemorating the bicentenary of his landing at Botany Bay, New South Wales. Always surprised that there is no plaque for him at Greenwich as he lived at the Royal Naval College for a while.
  • Options
    Have found out that Jimmy Seed lived in Milk St which is in Sundridge Park area off Burnt Ash Lane.

Need to find actual address via trip to Bromley Library.
  • Options
    michael caine has one in lower road and he's not dead
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]michael caine has one in lower road and he's not dead

"Not alot of people know that............."
  • Options
    Tommy Steel has one on e block of flats in road near Bermondsey tube station. Is he dead ?
  • Options
    On one of my training runs around Peckham Rye, I noticed that William Henry Pratt used to live on Forest Hill Road.

Boris Karloff
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Charles Darwin??

He has a house/museum dedicated to him, I thought the plaque thing was to remember people who once lived in a house or were born on the site of a house that has since been demolished.

No, they are also issued when people lived there or even worked there (for an appreciable amount of time)....the house doesn't have to have been demolished or the person born there....indeed most of them are on buildings that are still standing.........well as far as I know.
    For example, Ho Chi Minh worked as a pastry cook at The Carlton Hotel which stood at the corner of The Haymarket and Pall Mall....I believe it's a sports bar now(might be wrong there) anyway there's a blue plaque stating this on the building.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is there one for David Bowie in Stansfield Road Brixton? Obviously he's not dead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Is there one for David Bowie in Stansfield Road Brixton? Obviously he's not dead.

Funny you ask that, he was one I was specifically researching as part of my Blue Plaque research. Only one council (as far as i'm aware) give Blue Plaques it to living people, and that's Southwark. So Bowie doesn't have one. However, if he did, it would probably be on his childhood home in Plaistow Grove in Bromley - where he spent his formative years.
  • Options
    Both Enid Blyton and the wireless operator on the Titanic (no idea of his name) have blue plaques in Shortlands, Bromley.
  • Options
    So that's two ex residents of Bromley who could quite justifyably have plaques I guess...David Bowie and Charles Darwin.
  • Options
    Or on the mansion in Chislehurst where Michael Jackson 'almost' stayed during his season at The O2!!
    Something along the lines of...Michael Jackson 'almost stayed here'...etc etc.
  • Options
    Osama Bin Laden was often in and around London (apparently visited Highbury quite often) wonder if he'll ever get one...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Si said:

Posted By: pilchard
    Is there one for David Bowie in Stansfield Road Brixton? Obviously he's not dead.
    Funny you ask that, he was one I was specifically researching as part of my Blue Plaque research. Only one council (as far as i'm aware) give Blue Plaques it to living people, and that's Southwark. So Bowie doesn't have one. However, if he did, it would probably be on his childhood home in Plaistow Grove in Bromley - where he spent his formative years.>

There is a Blue Plaque for Bowie on the wall of the Three Tuns pub in Beckenham High Street
  • Options
    There's a blue plaque on the new flats built on the site of the Welcome Inn public house. It says something about the first gig by Status Quo on that site, can't remember date.
  • Options
    "Nobody of any significance lived here" will be the plaque on my house when I've gasped my last.