Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Mooney

Comments

• Very intelligent player. Little light weight but definitely has something about him and plays to his strengths. Not sure how he would fare at a higher level. Be interested to see how much Reading would want. To be honest, if we can loan him till the end of the season I'd be happy with that.
  • only paid 250k euros for him and he hasn't got a look in...
  • Would be good to sign him on loan till the end of the season and give Reading a call back option.This would please them but imho they would not use it as I think they will sign a striker in jan (their goal return has been awful) and if they get any injuries they would prefer a loan than Mooney back.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I love this guys intelligence,last week against Rovers,as Basey went to take a corner someone commented what was Mooney doing right over the other side near enough outside the penalty box,well for the next 40 seconds he didn't stop moving,turning the defender this way and that and was actually at the near post when the ball was delivered.Last night he knew he was about to be subbed and I watched him as Elliott kicked the ball out of play he jogged over to the far side of the pitch from the dugout,hence wasting more time,it was a deliberate move but that of a thoughtful footballer,i really like this bloke and he was denied a goal by a fantastic save from a header.

Getting a booking for kicking the ball away wasn't too intelligent was it?

Also he was lucky to not to get a red when he took so long to get off the pitch.

kicking the ball away,was that his shot that by the time it had left his foot their goalkeeper already had a replacement ball in his hand. I could understand the booking if they weren't using multiple balls,but christ thats was the refs most farcical booking of the evening.
  • Have we signed him yet?
  • i fecking hope not
  • Sounds like he has been doing well at Colchester (8 games, 3 goals). I know a lot of people on here hated him but i though he was a decent striker at this level and will get 10 / 15 goals a season.
  • [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]Sounds like he has been doing well at Colchester (8 games, 3 goals). I know a lot of people on here hated him but i though he was a decent striker at this level and will get 10 / 15 goals a season.
    agreed.
  • we'd have booed all the confidence out of him by now ....

and then if he didnt score we would would have headbutted him as he came off the pitch.... just to motivate him mind...
  • I am really pleased for him.

While he was with us, he was never anything less than 100% in it for us. He run his heart out for us, and some people did nothing but boo him and slag him off.

Every weekend, I look out to see how Darren Bent did, and have also been looking for Mooney. Two players, I think Im glad I saw play in a Charton top!
  • Sponsored links:

• He's got 5 in 9 if you count the cup.
  • Any of them pens, as they don't count!!!!
  • they count mate.
  • sorry, still dont rate him. lets see how many he's got come may.
  • I wonder if it is playing a style of football (?) with Colchester which suites him or there isn't as much pressure on him or maybe something the management team are doing?
  • [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]I wonder if it is playing a style of football (?) with Colchester which suites him or there isn't as much pressure on him or maybe something the management team are doing?

Maybe the fans there are more supportive of their players.

Lisbie was a perennial scapegoat at Charlton yet thrived at Colchester. Mooney was shamefully treated by our fans too and is perhaps responding to a more positive environment.

Alternatively the Colchester midfield might actually give him some sort of service unlike ours did much of the time.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]I wonder if it is playing a style of football (?) with Colchester which suites him or there isn't as much pressure on him or maybe something the management team are doing?

Lisbie was a perennial scapegoat at Charlton yet thrived at Colchester. Mooney was shamefully treated by our fans too and is perhaps responding to a more positive environment.

Alternatively the Colchester midfield might actually give him some sort of service unlike ours did much of the time.

lol of course its the fans fault. theres a reason SOME of the fans didnt rate mooney.....the crap performances he turned in on an all too regular basis.
    [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]I wonder if it is playing a style of football (?) with Colchester which suites him or there isn't as much pressure on him or maybe something the management team are doing?

about 3k for a league game last week I noticed
  • Comparisons to Darren Bent are way off the mark.

For starters, Mooney was never our player.
  • [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]I wonder if it is playing a style of football (?) with Colchester which suites him or there isn't as much pressure on him or maybe something the management team are doing?

Mooney is scoring for Col U but then he scored for us even though he was meant to be more of a creator than out and out goal scorer.
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the things Parky said at Bromley last week was about message boards ( he can't stand them and never reads them). He said that Mooney had read one or more message boardswhile with us and it had got to him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]One of the things Parky said at Bromley last week was about message boards ( he can't stand them and never reads them). He said that Mooney had read one or more message boards while with us and it had got to him.

ah diddums.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]One of the things Parky said at Bromley last week was about message boards ( he can't stand them and never reads them). He said that Mooney had read one or more message boards while with us and it had got to him.

ah diddums.

seem to remember you getting annoyed with some of the comments made about you on here recently and you a lot older and the comments were far less abusive than DM got.
  • oh well, he aint one of ours and never was.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]oh well, he aint one of ours and never was.

If they're wearing our shirt on the pitch in a competitive match then they're ours and should be supported.

Lee Martin isn't ours nor is Matty Fry but they wear the shirt so we get behind them.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]oh well, he aint one of ours and never was.

If they're wearing our shirt on the pitch in a competitive match then they're ours and should be supported.

Lee Martin isn't ours nor is Matty Fry but they wear the shirt so we get behind them.

and as long as they are performing to the ability that we as Charlton supporters expect, then they will get full support.

most are all too happy to just accept the shite thats served up all too often. probably why we've fallen so far so quickly. its okay tho, cos we are supporters and thats all we should do.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

and as long as they are performing to the ability that we as Charlton supporters expect, then they will get full support.

Mooney was booed when BDL read his name out!

That to me was a disgrace when he worked his wotsits off on the pitch.

He was no worldbeater and I wouldn't pretend he was but I'd rather watch the likes of David Mooney give their all than allegedly more talented players like Marcus Bent .
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

He was no worldbeater and I wouldn't pretend he was but I'd rather watch the likes of David Mooney give their all than allegedly more talented players like Marcus Bent .

completely agree with you on that but Len, your posts regularly dig out our fans and it just dont cut it with me. Mooney was not an acceptable player for the standard of our club and no matter what stick he received, he should never have played for us imo.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]oh well, he aint one of ours and never was.[/quote]

Lee Martin isn't ours nor is Matty Fry but they wear the shirt so we get behind them.[/quote]

and as long as they are performing to the ability that we as Charlton supporters expect, then they will get full support.[/quote]

He was no worldbeater and I wouldn't pretend he was but I'd rather watch the likes of David Mooney give their all than allegedly more talented players like Marcus Bent .[/quote]

completely agree with you on that but Len, your posts regularly dig out our fans and it just dont cut it with me. Mooney was not an acceptable player for the standard of our club and no matter what stick he received, he should never have played for us imo.[/quote]

We're a skint 3rd division team, you make it sound like we're Real Madrid! I couldn easily name about 10 strikers who were worse than him. Wasn't my favourite player but i thought he was a decent signing who would have done well if he had been given a bit of support.

Doesn't it make sense when someone is easily regonised as a 'confidence player' that you give them support so that they play well? Isn't that a logical thing to do or am i just mental??
  • edited September 2010

completely agree with you on that but Len, your posts regularly dig out our fans and it just dont cut it with me. Mooney was not an acceptable player for the standard of our club and no matter what stick he received, he should never have played for us imo.

I guess it comes down to the type of person you are and what motivates you.

For myself I respond to encouragement and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. If people fault find for the sake of it when there is little or no cause then sooner or later I metaphorically or even literally stick two fingers up.

Mooney always gave his best on the pitch so booing him was never going to produce anything more. IF (and that is debatable) he wasn't good enough to play in the third division then that is Parky's fault for selecting him so it shouldn't be Mooney getting the flak before he kicked a ball in anger.