Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton Disgrace - Sort It Out !!

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Having left The Withdean with the 3 points and very happy to do so, when driving back i must be honest that i feel quite angry towards Brighton council for what they have done to that football club after turfing them out of the Goldstone Ground.

I saw us lose 7-0 there and win 5-3 years ago but my memory of the place was that it was one of those classic football grounds which has now gone down the pan like so many others.
Similar to Charltons past, their fans have been pushed from pillar to post and last night there was absolutely no atmosphere generated from the home fans due to the stadium being assembled of mismatched temporary golfing stands, i think everyone who was at the game would agree that there was no edge to the match after we scored and that was a strange feeling from my perspective as we usually find ourselves living on a knife edge during games. Brighton never looked like scoring and are probably the worst football team i have ever seen us play including some of the non league teams we have played in the cups over the years, i dont mean that in a detrimental way to the football club but i sadly felt that the whole place and set up is an utter shambles.

For a worldwide renouned City, Brighton should have a football team to be proud of but it just reminded me of the years we spent in exile but on a far greater scale, the only bright point is that at least they have a new ground on the way and have currently been accomodated in Brighton but this club looked at deaths door last night, will Brighton even be a league club by the time the new ground is built and if not where will that leave them?

After leaving the game their fans just seemed to happily accept yet another defeat and i cant see any chance whatsoever that they will stay up this year which is a shame because Brighton is a nice part of the world with decent supporters and should be proud to accomodate a successful football club, unlike the shit that dwells in Norwood who for that matter also seem to be going down the pan which im far less concerned about!

Comments

• Options
    Not wishing to be a pedantic but we lost 7-0
  • Options
    What a debut for Ronnie Moore that was!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ok fair enough 7 nil then, iv edited that now lol
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    the 7-1 defeat was the previous season against burnley and same scoreline a couple of seasons before against luton.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Not wishing to be a pedantic but we lost 7-0[/quote]

Aaaah the good old days....

NOT!
  • Options
    They might not have much of a ground but i think under Poyet they'll soon improve and move up the table. Was only 2-3 weeks ago they turned Southampton over at St Mary's.
  • Options
    yeah there ground is a joke but they are having a new one built, as for the team everyone has an off day but they did have there chances and i put it down to us being definsively sound against them. 'i think that they are the worst team we have played' think that is a bit of an exaggeration tbh and im sure there will be plenty worse sides we play aswell
  • Options
    There new stadium in falmer looks lovely drive past it quite abit with work should give them a boost and somthing to be proud off, quite away out of the city centre tho as most modern stadia are but still there finally getting a new home.
  • Options
    The new stadium will give them a huge boost, as will Poyets influence. They do have some decent players, their strikers have decent returns this season but I have noticed before Poyet took charge, they had a lot of red cards so this can't have helped. The Withdean is a joke of a ground but I feel sorry for the fasn who have had to put up with it for 10 or more years. No wonder their home form is so bad- I think we were the 7th away side to win there this season.
  • Options
    I thought if they'd have scored a goal first we'd have been in trouble. They showed in the first 20 mins that they can play football whereas we struggled to get started and took to hoofing the ball, and their midfield were winning the battle to begin with. their chance that hit the underneath of the bar - if that had gone in - i reckon the game would have been high scoring for both sides but it was easy to say they were tired and low on confidence by the end and probably felt hard done by. the ref didn't help. I don't think they are the worst team we've played by a long way! they don't like their keeper but he did well at the end making 2 saves to keep the score down when the rest of the defence had given up. i don't know what the stats said, but i reckon they had more shots than us. no?

new ground does look awesome and they defo deserve it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Echo those comments about their initial play, Suzi .

And also felt sorry for their fans . There for the grace of .....

Nice to hear an acknowledgement to our Club on the tannoy at halftime ( could actually hear it loud & clear then ! ) regarding the role model of the Valley Party and the BTTV campaign in general.
  • Options
    Lots and lots of Charlton at the Goldstone for the Fans United game when they beat Hartlepool 5 - 0 as Gritty kept them.

Me, MOG, Alex Wright were there. Anyone else?

Nice feature on Steve Gritt in the programme last night.

Poyet also said that Charlton are a special club for him as one of his sons plays for the U16s.
  • Options
    anyone read page 37 of the programme? what a numpty.
  • Options
    Yup, me too, Henry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]I saw us lose 7-0 there

That was my very first Charlton away game, Jimmy Case got a hat-trick.

Only made my love for Charlton even stronger.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]anyone read page 37 of the programme? what a numpty.

Just have. How the F*** do people get paid for writing crap like that. Cliche, cliche and more cliche. And in a Brighton programme.

In case you didn't see it Paul Jiggins, some Sun writer/Spanner going on about anoraks and trains and how Millwall don't care about us.
  • Options
    Why don't the home fans like their keeper. I know the first choice Kuipers is a bit of a fans fave and played excelently at Saints the other week, but I though Smith last night looked decent for them in goal. The save at the end was top drawer from Mooney
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Lots and lots of Charlton at the Goldstone for the Fans United game when they beat Hartlepool 5 - 0 as Gritty kept them.

Me, MOG, Alex Wright were there. Anyone else?

Yes, some Rudds were in attendance on that famous day, Henry. It was a special, special occasion.

Very strange atmosphere last night. Almost felt like a practice game at one point. The new ground did look impressive ... question is, will they get the crowds?
  • Options
    [quote]The new ground did look impressive ... question is, will they get the crowds?[/quote]

More worryingly will they still be in the league and then what happens if not?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Why don't the home fans like their keeper. I know the first choice Kuipers is a bit of a fans fave and played excelently at Saints the other week, but I though Smith last night looked decent for them in goal. The save at the end was top drawer from Mooney

not sure - as I thought he was alright! when there was another "ref moment" the keeper ran over to the linesman in front of us and you could clearly hear him going mental with his scottish accent and the brighton fans said that was the best thing he did all game - then he went on to make those 2 saves and they did say he did well. I think they were harsh but i guess we haven't watched him week in week out - and i don't think elliot looked to confident himself during the game keeping on punching so i stayed diplomatically quiet!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Tough on Elliot coming straight back into a first team match after a longish injury lay off without a warm up in the reserves.

He hasn't had that much experience at first team level yet so it was probably a bit daunting. Still, even if he rode his luck a bit, he kept a clean sheet and that is all you can ask really.
  • Options
    http://www.lobstervision.tv/bhafc/?loginless=true&username=bhafc&password=bhafc#

Latest pictures from Falmer - They are sorting it out!!
  • Options
    when will their new ground open - anyone know?
    was good to hear them thank charlton for helping their party campaign =- and well to those who helped them
  • Options
    ready in 18 months ready for the 2011/12 season....
  • Options
    I lived in Brighton from '77 to '87 & still have family there, my dad used to take us down the Goldstone every now & again & i saw all 3 Charlton away games there in the 80's including teh 7-0 & 5-3. I also remember a pre-season friendly i am sure.

Disgrace that they were booted out of The Goldstone which was a lovely, old characterful ground & which is now a non-descript trading estate with a Toys R' Us and Burger King.

Over here now in Canada, perhaps because of our lack of modern history, great efforts are made to preserve historic "old" buildings & sites. It seems that hugely important parts of our British cultural & sporting history - ie the old stadiums now buried under housing estates, supermarkets and identikit trading estates are destroyed without a second thought. It is ridiculous and depriving future generations of important British history.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Why don't the home fans like their keeper. I know the first choice Kuipers is a bit of a fans fave and played excelently at Saints the other week, but I though Smith last night looked decent for them in goal. The save at the end was top drawer from Mooney

i can understand why they dont like him tbh, i think he did make some good saves at the end but felt at corners he looked very poor and didnt really take much control either
    only part of his game which was ok was shot stopping but cant just be good shot stopper if your a goalie, although obviously is one of the attributes you do need.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I lived in Brighton from '77 to '87 & still have family there, my dad used to take us down the Goldstone every now & again & i saw all 3 Charlton away games there in the 80's including teh 7-0 & 5-3. I also remember a pre-season friendly i am sure.

Disgrace that they were booted out of The Goldstone which was a lovely, old characterful ground & which is now a non-descript trading estate with a Toys R' Us and Burger King.

Over here now in Canada, perhaps because of our lack of modern history, great efforts are made to preserve historic "old" buildings & sites. It seems that hugely important parts of our British cultural & sporting history - ie the old stadiums now buried under housing estates, supermarkets and identikit trading estates are destroyed without a second thought. It is ridiculous and depriving future generations of important British history.

A mate of mine's house used to overlook the Goldstone ground. You could see most of the pitch from the bedroom.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]Having left The Withdean with the 3 points and very happy to do so, when driving back i must be honest that i feel quite angry towards Brighton council for what they have done to that football club after turfing them out of the Goldstone Ground.

I saw us lose 7-0 there and win 5-3 years ago but my memory of the place was that it was one of those classic football grounds which has now gone down the pan like so many others.
    Similar to Charltons past, their fans have been pushed from pillar to post and last night there was absolutely no atmosphere generated from the home fans due to the stadium being assembled of mismatched temporary golfing stands, i think everyone who was at the game would agree that there was no edge to the match after we scored and that was a strange feeling from my perspective as we usually find ourselves living on a knife edge during games. Brighton never looked like scoring and are probably the worst football team i have ever seen us play including some of the non league teams we have played in the cups over the years, i dont mean that in a detrimental way to the football club but i sadly felt that the whole place and set up is an utter shambles.

For a worldwide renouned City, Brighton should have a football team to be proud of but it just reminded me of the years we spent in exile but on a far greater scale, the only bright point is that at least they have a new ground on the way and have currently been accomodated in Brighton but this club looked at deaths door last night, will Brighton even be a league club by the time the new ground is built and if not where will that leave them?

After leaving the game their fans just seemed to happily accept yet another defeat and i cant see any chance whatsoever that they will stay up this year which is a shame because Brighton is a nice part of the world with decent supporters and should be proud to accomodate a successful football club, unlike the shit that dwells in Norwood who for that matter also seem to be going down the pan which im far less concerned about!

I agree wholeheartedly with these comments, except I don't think their current team is as bad as you make out.
  • Options
    I would like to make a comment regarding the match, but to be honest ...what with the goal at the other end of the ground being the best part of a quarter of a mile away I have no idea as to the quality of the game.
    I hope they get their new stadium soon....and good luck to them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

Oakster, you are particularly on point given that you're in Alberta and more particularly near Calgary, where the lack of modern history is, shall I say, more apparent that most other places...so the preservation efforts that you refer to would likely maintain the 1950s for future generations!