Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I alone

edited December 2009 in Other Football and Sports
in thinking that this Terry Enry handball thingy is a final nail in FIFA's credibility?

The Irish are wroong in asking to be the 33rd team but Stupid Blatter's response sums the fool up. I for one am enjoying being involved in real football, I have begun to fall out of love with the game at the highest level and think the "FIFA Fair Play" banner is a poor poor joke.

They seem happy to let cheats prosper under the smoke screen of not wanting to undermine refs, kick out the cheats and then the refs will get far more right I say. So on to the problematic part of my post, I think England should pull out. The Corinthinian spirit and all that, we do not want to see our boys play in their corrupt competition, so let's get the home internationals going again!

Comments

• Options
    You think England should pull out???!!!!!

Turn it in. This has to be a wind-up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]in thinking that this Terry Enry handball thingy is a final nail in FIFA's credibility?

The Irish are wroong in asking to be the 33rd team but Stupid Blatter's response sums the fool up. I for one am enjoying being involved in real football, I have begun to fall out of love with the game at the highest level and think the "FIFA Fair Play" banner is a poor poor joke.

They seem happy to let cheats prosper under the smoke screen of not wanting to undermine refs, kick out the cheats and then the refs will get far more right I say. So on to the problematic part of my post, I think England should pull out. The Corinthinian spirit and all that, we do not want to see our boys play in their corrupt competition, so let's get the home internationals going again!

Are you Irish by any chance??
  • Options
    Do you think the Irish would pull out if it were England unfairly cheated out of the competition?
    Would they heck!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: OhsouthLondon[/cite]Do you think the Irish would pull out if it were England unfairly cheated out of the competition?
    Would they heck!

No they would be dancing in the streets about it
  • Options
    It's got nothing to do with the incompetents at FIFA....

The only cheats are the footballers themselves...

If the only way they can play is to dive, handball, feign injury and con referees into making faulty decisions then it's a case of 'Live by the sword, die by the sword'...

If it had been an Irish handball do you think Keane would have screamed at the ref to disallow the goal...?

NO..!!!

For a long, long time there has been no such thing as honour and fair play in football, let them get on with it...
  • Options
    Don't seem to remember the Irish so anti fifa when short fat scumbag punched the ball into our net in 86, they loved it then. But we didn't ask to be readmitted. Ireland look a bit sad by asking to be added to WC, even though I agree they were cheated. The only way a replay could happen is if the french offered and I am impressed that the french population generally think they are wrong to progress in such a manner. But don't expect them to offer it, they would have done it by now if they were going to.

What it should do is bring change to the use of technology, no doubt only when England transgress will it be used in earnest. I can see Rooney punching a certain portugese player as lampard sticks Englands semi winner in the onion bag, only for fifa to use the technology to disallow it retrospectively.
  • Options
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

I think Fifa are right to carry on and hard-luck on Ireland. Despite all the accusations I don't see any evidence or suggestion of a cover-up and whether Fifa would have ordered a replay had the boot been on the other foot is moot, and would the Irish had consented to a replay if Terry O'Henry had slapped the ball?

I doubt it.

If you make an exception for Ireland then that has to be the general rule and a season would never get finished.

What does irk me is their reluctance to introduce video replays, and as for any suggestion that England withdraw in sympathy, no.
  • Options
    I can think of at least two occasions in the past where England were 'cheated' out of a result in The World Cup Finals....Maradona's Hand of God and Sol Campbell's disallowed header.....................it's nothing new....life goes on I guess.
  • Options
    No I am not Irish and it is slightly tongue in cheek but I am baffled but FIFA's complete lack of interest in dealing with cheating when they go by their phrase "Fair Play".

For the record the result of Ireland v France should stand but the lack of condemnation and probable lack of punishment for Henry is disgusting. To bring up Maradonna is wrong, he should have been punished as well and it was 23 years back and surely we have moved on from there?

FIFA needs a complete over haul which will never happen when we have self serving politicians running the game
  • Options
    Yeah, right. England shouldn't pull out.

The Football Association of Ireland's response
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100569&catid=1&Itemid=8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The hand of god has risen again.....How the Irish still gloat about england's exit.....He who laughs last etc...!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    If you make an exception for Ireland then that has to be the general rule and a season would never get finished.

I think the way to go will be retrospective punishment for players, using the video replays. You don't want to be messing around with results, but if a player knows they'll get a severe fine and a multiple match ban they might think twice before trying to cheat.
  • Options
    What ever else is said, cfgs is right on one thing, FIFA are a laughing stock.
  • Options
    FIFA are a laughing stock.

Unfortunately we have another case of double standards here and football is the loser.....a player can be punished for an elbow (topical for us) not seen by the ref, but later shown as video evidence.....but a blatant handball by a talented player who doesnt need to cheat (but does regularly) goes unpunished.....the TV rights for the Oirish at a World Cup final is worth many Millions to the economy, and as much as Im no fan of any of the so called "home" nations I think we are witnessing another "FIFA turning a blind eye" injustice.
  • Options
    i don't really see the issue with technology.the game stops sometimes when the linesman has seen something and the ref goes over to consult him anyway.what would the difference be?
  • Options
    Agree TK, on Tuesday the ref was taking about 2 minutes at a time to justify his decisions to the players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i don't really see the issue with technology.the game stops sometimes when the linesman has seen something and the ref goes over to consult him anyway.what would the difference be?

The difference would be that there would be different rules depending on the level you played at.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i don't really see the issue with technology.the game stops sometimes when the linesman has seen something and the ref goes over to consult him anyway.what would the difference be?

The difference would be that there would be different rules depending on the level you played at.

what,like cricket and rugby?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The ball is only in play for probably 60% of the 90 minutes, so a few extra minutes here and there to consult a video referee isnt a big deal. However, do you think video refs making decisions clear-cut ruins the game a little bit?...i mean there will be no more debating down the pub whether he was offside or not, or if the ball crossed the line etc...abit of post-match debate makes football that little bit better imo.
  • Options
    Although I started all this I do not think technology is the answer, unless it is fo a point of fact, did the ball cross the line etc. One person can look at a penalty and say dive whilst on will say penalty, a ref will not change his mind unless it is bloody obvious.

I want retrospective punishment! The cannot and should not be repayed but Henry should be banned for 4 games starting from the daybefore the world cup starts. Also how come a defender gets sent off handball on the goal line but a striker gets a yellow for punching it in?

We need huge bans to rid the game of cheating end of, 4 games for diving etc and 10 games for feigning injury to get a player sent off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

what,like cricket and rugby?

Yes. And I like the fact that football is the same from the park to Wembley, that is one of the things that sets it apart.

I could live with goal line technology such as that developed by Hawk-eye being used at all professional levels, but not at non-pro, but that is as far as it should go.
  • Options
    I think they should just ban Henry fromthe competion that would be punishment enough. With it being his last world cup anyway,he would be gutted
  • Options
    I think Ireland should have taken the shed load of chances they had at Croke Park and the Stade de France, and this debate would be academic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Although I started all this I do not think technology is the answer, unless it is fo a point of fact, did the ball cross the line etc. One person can look at a penalty and say dive whilst on will say penalty, a ref will not change his mind unless it is bloody obvious.

I want retrospective punishment! The cannot and should not be repayed but Henry should be banned for 4 games starting from the daybefore the world cup starts. Also how come a defender gets sent off handball on the goal line but a striker gets a yellow for punching it in?

We need huge bans to rid the game of cheating end of, 4 games for diving etc and 10 games for feigning injury to get a player sent off

A defender on the line is denying an obvious goal scoring oppertunity which is a red card offence.

Why should Henry get a 4 game ban for an offence that, if seen by the Ref, would have only resulted in a yellow card?
  • Options
    It is all a load of bullshit the Henry thing is a nonsense dont like the bloke arrogant twat IMO but a very good footballer and deserves to be at the World Cup be honest what would the paddies actually bring that would enhance the world cup.

I am with Algarve on this at a push the only technology that should exist is goaline did the ball cross the line yes/no that is it.

the rest is still brilliant it is what makes footie great it is reliant on a ref should stay that way
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Although I started all this I do not think technology is the answer, unless it is fo a point of fact, did the ball cross the line etc. One person can look at a penalty and say dive whilst on will say penalty, a ref will not change his mind unless it is bloody obvious.

A defender on the line is denying an obvious goal scoring oppertunity which is a red card offence.

Why should Henry get a 4 game ban for an offence that, if seen by the Ref, would have only resulted in a yellow card?

I know it does not make sense but I think (I know he did not do it) a striker should be punished in the same way a defender is when they punch the ball in
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]

I know it does not make sense but I think (I know he did not do it) a striker should be punished in the same way a defender is when they punch the ball in

Quite; it's the rule that is wrong and that's down to our old friends at FIFA...
  • Options
    Fifa chief Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland could be in line for some sort of compensation for missing out on the World Cup.

Giovanni Trapattoni's men were denied a place at next summer's finals after Thierry Henry's controversial handball in the build-up to William Gallas' goal helped France overcome the Republic of Ireland in their play-off encounter

The Football Association of Ireland has seen requests for a replay of the game and an extra spot at the finals rejected by Fifa.

The issue continues to drag on and Blatter admits he would back Ireland's cause for "moral compensation" but ruled out any type of financial compensation.

Blatter revealed that football's governing body will meet with the FAI to discuss the situation with reports suggesting Fifa could offer the Irish a symbolic award as a result of Henry's actions.

"If you started to compensate teams not qualified you will have others coming to us," said Blatter

"But you are right when you see this kind of matter where the whole world has seen foul play, then maybe there could be some kind of compensation for Ireland.

"We will look at that. Yesterday Ireland withdrew their demands and they asked to meet with us and we will do that next week."

The bloke is a fucking clown.
  • Options
    Moral compensation !!!

Geez, what next ... this is pathetic.
  • Options
    A 'Symbolic Award'?...like a trophy? haha. This story is getting worse!

If they reject this, then the Irish should ask for free tickets to a game of their choice...and if that doesnt work then perhaps some Tesco Clubcard points.