Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I alone

2»

Comments

• Options
    It was a handball in a game of football but the ref never saw it. Happens all the time, except this time it was more high profile. So what?
    End of story really. The fact that people like Blatter are still going on a about it now is the biggest joke. It's done - move on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It was a handball in a game of football but the ref never saw it. Happens all the time, except this time it was more high profile. So what?
    End of story really. The fact that people like Blatter are still going on a about it now is the biggest joke. It's done - move on.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    In which case they shouldnt be able to ban players on video evidence if the ref misses it...its just shambolic bullshit
  • Options
    I still say ban him otherwise you know he'll probably end up scoring the winner against us in the semi's
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]The ball is only in play for probably 60% of the 90 minutes, so a few extra minutes here and there to consult a video referee isnt a big deal. However, do you think video refs making decisions clear-cut ruins the game a little bit?...i mean there will be no more debating down the pub whether he was offside or not, or if the ball crossed the line etc...abit of post-match debate makes football that little bit better imo.

Spot on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]In which case they shouldnt be able to ban players on video evidence if the ref misses it...its just shambolic bullshit

Also spot on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It was a handball in a game of football but the ref never saw it. Happens all the time, except this time it was more high profile. So what?

I kind of agree with this, I'm Irish (and fiercely Irish) but this should be put to bed, rules are rules and just because the Chief Exec of the FAI has never seen a game of football before he shouldn't be trying to rewrite the history books.

There's only one solution - tie Henry to Roy Keane and drop them in the middle of the deepest part of the Indian Ocean and let God decide whether they live or die. And if they live they're obviously witches and will be burned at the stake.

In regards to the "Moral Compenstaion" I think there's going to be a friendly at Scrote Park with Brazil in the Spring.

I reckon Ireland should hold it's own competition before the WC between the best teams that didn't make it...

I think the late decision to seed the playoffs draw together with his recent behavior have totally discredited Sepp Blatter and FIFA but then even if the Queen had lost all her credibilaty she'd still be the Queen.

As we say in Ireland - C'est la Vie
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    If you make an exception for Ireland then that has to be the general rule and a season would never get finished.

I think the way to go will be retrospective punishment for players, using the video replays. You don't want to be messing around with results, but if a player knows they'll get a severe fine and a multiple match ban they might think twice before trying to cheat.

100% agree. Massive punishments for successful cheats. If they're caught, the referee will give them a yellow card and the game moves on. If they're not, and they end up scoring a goal or preventing a goal through cheating, the massive retrospective punishments will make them run to the referee and beg him to change his mind. A yellow card is far better than a big suspension (I'd ban Henry for the whole of the World Cup for starters, and all future cheating would be similarly punished), so players have the incentive not to cheat. And, if they do "instinctively" or by accident, they'll be begging for the yellow card and the goal allowed/disallowed, not running off celebrating.
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I think Ireland should have taken the shed load of chances they had at Croke Park and the Stade de France, and this debate would be academic.

... but still worth having. Does it matter that it's Ireland? If it was Poland or Saudi Arabia or Charlton, it'd still be worth talking about.
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It is all a load of bullshit the Henry thing is a nonsense dont like the bloke arrogant twat IMO but a very good footballer and deserves to be at the World Cup be honest what would the paddies actually bring that would enhance the world cup.

The French couldn't beat the paddies through any legitimate means. At worst, if Ireland qualififed, they'd be no worse than the French and the tournament wouldn't suffer.