Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Southend (5/12/09) - Poll, Teams, Views

WSSWSS
edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Charlton vs. Southend – Match Preview and Poll

Happy 17th Anniversary!!

We face the second seaside team in 5 days on Saturday as Southend saunter into The Valley. Enough alliteration.

After a hard fought and long overdue away win on Tuesday at Brighton we are looking to build on it by throwing the shimp(ers) on the barbie and continuing a run of form over the past 4 games which has seen three wins and draw and an average of 3 goals scored per game. Out of those 12 goals there were 8 different scorers which must mean that the whole squad is brimming with confidence.

But we must warn against complacency. Southend, although losing 3 out of the last 4 seem to be very hit and miss and with the prolific Barnard up front (is he playing?), they will always pose a threat.

JVS picked up his 5th booking of the season at the Withdean on Tuesday which means there is a central midfield berth up for grabs. Personally I don’t think Bailey, Racon or Shelvey have the discipline to do the job Jose does which would leave the door open for Matt Spring who, to be fair, has performed very well when called upon this season.

I think the rest of the team will not change much, with Waggy putting in a great shift on Tuesday and topping it off with a goal I think he will retain his place and the improving Omuzuzi will start while Richardson and Youga continue to struggle with their respective injuries.

Dailly, Llera and Youga (if he plays) are walking a yellow card tightrope so will have to be careful, although it may be worth getting it out of the way for Stockport rather than Millwall?

Think we will continue the run with a comfortable 3-1 win and go into our next home game - ‘The Big One’ on the 19th with our tails up and be ready and raring to go.

Over to you.

Other Notable Fixtures

Colchester v Bristol Rovers
Leeds United v Huddersfield
MK Dons v Yeovil
Norwich v Oldham

Comments

• Options
    Racon in for Semedo and Shelvey in for Wagstaff and a nice 3-0 win.
  • Options
    Gutted being sent on a weekend course and have always enjoyed games against them in the past. I expect a win, but we should never drop Semedo
  • Options
    Semedo' suspended following 5th booking of season against brighton

Im going for a 3-1 win Bailey, Burton and Shelvey
  • Options
    Nice write up West Side, think this will be a routine 2-0. To be honest my focus has completely gone of late on all thing's Charlton, it's all about the 19th, it's a game we just cannot lose.
  • Options
    Suspect that Southend will try to do what Oldham did and "park the bus".

Still think we will win but will need the two FBs to get involved in the attacking third. With Burton and Mooney we are better equipped to break down that sort of defence while we still have Sodje Minor to come off the bench and terrify their back four.

Parky must be tempted to play Shelvey in the middle and ask Bailey to sit but I think Racon would be a better choice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]To be honest my focus has completely gone of late on all thing's Charlton, it's all about the 19th, it's a game we just cannot lose.

echo those sentiments ....
    as for saturdays football feast we have to win and will win 2-0
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Charlton vs. Southend – Match Preview and Poll

Other Notable Fixtures

Colchester v Bristol Rovers
    Leeds United v Huddersfield
    MK Dons v Yeovil
    Norwich v Oldham

I noticed that Walsall have crept up on the rails of late...Who are they playing?
  • Options
    Saturday, 5 December 2009
    Charlton v Southend, 15:00
    Colchester v Bristol Rovers, 15:00
    Exeter v Brighton, 15:00
    Gillingham v Carlisle, 15:00
    Hartlepool v Millwall, 15:00
    Leeds United v Huddersfield, 12:15
    MK Dons v Yeovil, 15:00
    Norwich v Oldham, 15:00
    Swindon v Leyton Orient, 15:00
    Tranmere v Brentford, 15:00
    Walsall v Southampton, 15:00
    Wycombe v Stockport, 15:00
  • Options
    As long as they don't 'park the bus' then 3-0 win. Spring in for Semedo and Wagstaff to start. Omosuzi still looks a bit 'flaky' but is definately improving so he'll be on the right. Basey on the left unless Youga has recovered.
  • Options
    why change a winning team? if semedo is suspended then bring racon in, he does a good job in the middle. leave the two wingers and let bailey have a bit of freedom and do what he does best... SCORE GOALS! don't get me wrong i am a shelvey fan but the boy looks like a lsot sheep at times in the CAM role. He didn't do much better on the wing the other week either. The back 5 in my mind speak for themselves: Elliot, Richardson (if not injured) Dailly, Sodje, Youga. I like the idea of having Sam and Waggy on the wings. Both bring pace and are direct with the ball. Lets be honest get the ball in there area and with Mooney, Burts and bailey we have half a chance don't we :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As long as we can keep Barnard quiet I'm quite confident of a win.

Would bring Spring in the middle to sit infront of the defence, aprt from that would keep the same side as Tuesday. Would like to see Shevley back in the team but I'm not really sure who he could come in for at the moment.
  • Options
    Semedo is a blow but we should still have enough for them. Is Sodje still okay to play?
  • Options
    Charlton win.

Spring in for Semedo, I think he's better suited to playing te defensive role than Racon.

Otherwise unchanged side assuming that Richardson isn't fit. If Youga is (what's the word on him anyway??) then I'd bring him in at RB and play Basey at LB.
  • Options
    Didn't we play them at home when we officially opend the east stand? Cracking game 4 3 wernt it? Powelly played for shrimpers thinks pards got the winner with a great run through the middle and rounded there keeper to much love and warmth from the coverd end... how things change.
  • Options
    Keep Waggy in.
  • Options
    Bit harsh on Waggy.......keep him in...........Racon for Jose.............4-0
  • Options
    S Sodje as holding CM?

Just a thought
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]S Sodje as holding CM?

Just a thought

Why? We have Racon and Spring who could play that role and even Bailey could play deep on a one off and Racon ahead of him. If you had to stick a CB in there though I'd prefer Llera who isn't a bad passer and that wouldn't weaken the Sodje/Dailly pairing.
  • Options
    Spring for Semedo otherwise no change.
  • Options
    Spring in for Semedo I think. He knows what he's doing there and has aquitted himself well enough those times he has played. Granted he's no Semedo but with all due respect to Southend he doesn't really need to be for this kind of game.
    Reckon a win but not a very exciting game, more like trying to get through a stubborn defensive effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    only the one chnage and a 4-2 victory
  • Options
    Im nervous but only cos its Southend which is obviously almost as big as Millwall for me (especially as im on an all dayer with 4 Southend fans)

Southend are hit and miss and do spring the odd shock but more often at Roots Hall than away from home so comfortable 3-1 win.

Barnard needs to be kept in check.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]S Sodje as holding CM?

Just a thought

why would you even consider that when we have Racon???

madness IMO

even Spring would be a better option than playing somebody out of position...
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Racon for Jose!!!! No way Jose are you serious?

Dont change the team!!!!!!!!!! It wont do Shelvey and Racon any harm to massage their ego's on the bench for a few matches while the team is bonding quite nicely, im sure we look a better team without the individuals

I think a comfortable home win, will be having a bet on 3-0, 4-0 and 4-1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]Racon for Jose!!!! No way Jose are you serious?

Dont change the team!!!!!!!!!! It wont do Shelvey and Racon any harm to massage their ego's on the bench for a few matches while the team is bonding quite nicely, im sure we look a better team without the individuals

Semedo's suspended !
  • Options
    Jose is suspended
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]Racon for Jose!!!! No way Jose are you serious?

What a thoroughly educated and well thought out post!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]It wont do Shelvey and Racon any harm to massage their ego's on the bench for a few matches while the team is bonding quite nicely, im sure we look a better team without the individuals

Shelvey ... ego ???

WTF! Get real mate.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]It wont do Shelvey and Racon any harm to massage their ego's on the bench for a few matches while the team is bonding quite nicely, im sure we look a better team without the individuals

Shelvey ... ego ???

WTF! Get real mate.

choice you talk more S*** than boris Johnson, Gordon brown and George bush put together! ;oD