Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christian Dailly

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Was just looking at the statbank thread and it suddenly occured to me that Dailly hasn't got a single man of the match from this forum.

I can't quite believe this as, IMHO, he's been our most consistent and reliable player this season.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed but consistent and reliable is not necessarily outstanding.
  • Options
    He has been superb for us and deserves tremendous plaudits. Great signing- super quality (and at this level too) goes to show that we are still capable of attracting a good class of player.
  • Options
    Its because he is quietly effective. he is my Player of the season, for the way he has organised the defence and coached other players such as Youga thorugh games improving them.
  • Options
    Despite him not getting a MOM, I truly believe if he stays fit and plays 80% of our games he is going to stand a cracking chance of POTY
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Despite him not getting a MOM, I truly believe if he stays fit and plays 80% of our games he is going to stand a cracking chance of POTY

Just as i predicted he would be when we signed him before the season even started
  • Options
    A lot on here were getting very tetchy when we signed him, probably upset that talks with John Terry broke down. He is happily making lot's eat humble pie!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]A lot on here were getting very tetchy when we signed him, probably upset that talks with John Terry broke down. He is happily making lot's eat humble pie!!

Ha ha yes i remember,people were worried he was past it,but he's certainly proved the doubters wrong
  • Options
    Absolutely correct Uncle.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I enjoy watching a defensive performance, but when he plays I can almost switch off on bothering to look at the defensive positions of our two central defenders. He is that good at keeping a tight pairing he's made Sodje's biggest weakness seem irrelevant. It ain't fair but both he and Burton are the most important players in the team, without them we're back to all our players not holding their own positionally.

He's certainly in my player of half the season cat!
  • Options
    I have to say that I was far from convinced, never having been impressed with his performances for west ham or Scotland. Pleased to say I was wrong. He's certainly on my shortlist for POTY.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My West Ham mate always used to refer to him as 'Christian Dailly, football genius.'
    This was always sarcastic and meant as a derogatory remark. He was peeing himself with laughter when we signed him and, I must admit, I feared the worst on the strength of my mates derision.
    Now I've seen him for 90 mins week after week, I can't believe my mate never rated him.
    I know we're only league 1, but the guy has such obvious quality.
  • Options
    I would have him as poty so far simply because of the way he as brought others games on so well and how he talks to others around him and organises eveyone. Burton as been great but i feel its just his game thats got better whereas Dailly as made others get better too
  • Options
    I always thought he was quality at Derby and for Scotland in '98. But then at Blackburn and in his first seasons at West Ham I couldn't believe he was a prem footballer. Have to say towards the end of his time at WHam he and Repka came to life. I think any fair minded West Ham fan, they have loads of over-expectant loons, would say his contribution after they got relegated was top notch - certainly the first season.
  • Options
    He doesn't need to be outstanding, he reads the game well, gets in the right positions and is tidy when heading or passing the ball away. A real no fuss, no bother type of player - quietly professional and effective.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Agreed, BFR. He doesn't need to be seen to be outstanding.

In the same way as the best goalkeepers rarely need to make spectacular saves to compensate for poor basic positioning, Dailly rarely gets noticed because he's in the right place at the right time to do the simple stuff.
  • Options
    Christian and Robbie are my leading two, both have made constantly telling contributions over the course of the season so far. Christian is one of the best signings made in a while, well done to Parky and the board.
  • Options
    The bloke has had a long career playing at a good level so I am not at all surprised that he has been so consistent for us playing in the third teir. Cracking signing.
  • Options
    I am more than happy to be proved wrong by Christian & am even happier to eat copious amounts of humble pie. I never rated him previously on the odd occasion i saw him but so far this season he has looked so solid. He really looks happy with us. Well done Dailly!
  • Options
    So calm and controlling of the back four.

Superb signing.

Strange because even though together they are solid at the back, him & Sodje have completely different methods of defensive play. Sam will just throw himself at anything to get the ball - regardless of what's in the way! (bit too much at times) Where as Christian seems to be more intelligent with his positoning and general play.
  • Options
    dailly was alway gonna be a cut above this shite league ..... now if we'd signed him when we were playing proper footy in the premiership , that would have been a different story but in the pub league he is more than a classs act ... horses for courses etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like Division Three South is the course for Burton.
  • Options
    like the ryman league division one south is the course for our away numbers
  • Options
    and McCleod
  • Options
    Good numbers at Yeovil

Where was you whilst I was getting soaked on the terrace at Yeovil?

Good numbers in Barbados?

FORE!
  • Options
    i've got my stockport ticket ..... shame it's gonna be called off
  • Options
    If only we'd signed him instead of Hudson last season. Fantastic player at this level. I think he'll only miss games through suspension, he's clearly fit enough to go the distance so won't need resting.
  • Options
    That ol' chestnut OohAhh ;-)
  • Options
    Signed for Southend

Southend United boss Paul Sturrock has signed experienced defender Christian Dailly on non-contract terms.

The 38-year-old has been training with the Shrimpers in recent weeks in a bid to regain fitness following a knee injury.

Scotsman Dailly goes straight into the weekend's squad to face Hereford and will occupy the number 36 shirt.

Sturrock told the club's official website: "He's someone I know very well having given him his debut at Dundee United when he was only 16.

"He's really looked after himself, but if we do decide to sign him then I don't want supporters to think we're bringing in a 38-year-old who is past it because that certainly wouldn't be the case."

Meanwhile, fellow defender Pat Baldwin has joined Exeter on loan until the end of the season and youngster Merrick James-Lewis has joined Carshalton on a one-month loan deal.
  • Options
    I thought he'd take the 38 shirt!
  • Options
    True footballer sorry we let him leave.Hope all goes well for him at Southend.