Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradley Wiggins joins Team Sky

Is there anyone that Murdoch's money doesnt tempt?

Good luck to Brad though really good fella.

Comments

• Wonder how much they paid for him as he still had a year left on his Garmin contract. Garmins manager said about Wiggins a while back "I would have to be clinically insane to sell that contract."

Will they get Cavendish in 2011 though?
  • I think they are building a team that will be competitive in 2011, so they can then attract Cavendish.

I'm pleased that Wiggo is going to coin it in, he really deserves it. As does Cav.
  • Has anyone seen or heard 'Sir' Brad come out and praise Chris Froome and team Sky for their achievements in the tdf? All I've heard is him moaning about how he couldn't watch cause he wasn't there. Really did expect more from a knight of the realm and he's gone down a lot in my estimations.
  • He only wernt there because he knew froome was their man this year

So dont know why it has surprised you to be honest pettulant spoilt and unsporting that's wiggins
  • Sorry that's the focus winners have.

Thought knights were a little less childish tbf.

• edited July 2013
    Wiggins has always come across as a bit of a twat, tbh. And I don't buy that old chestnut about winners needing to be 'like that' to win. Jessica Ennis is an unqualified success and she's lovely. Chris Hoy has been at the absolute peak of track cycling for years - he doesn't come over as an arrogant prick at all.

bullshit that's what fake selfish knuts have I bow down to those on here with superior knowledge on cycling and all to a man said wiggins wouldn't have won with froome

yet he is too much of an ego fool to reciprocate

me I have always thought there was something odd about wiggins and he has shown it

• Agree with the above, there are plenty of winners, and plenty of British winners too who come across as genuine people who aren't dickheads, Wiggins isn't necessarily one of them. Note that I say come across, some of the people who come across as lovely could in reality be arrogant dickheads and some who come across badly could be absolutely lovely people who just don't know how to handle the media.
  • However Wiggins comes across, he's a saint compared to Cavendish - who sees intent on proving what a classless prick he is every time he opens his trap
  • Sponsored links:

• don't like him either
  • Has anyone seen or heard 'Sir' Brad come out and praise Chris Froome and team Sky for their achievements in the tdf? All I've heard is him moaning about how he couldn't watch cause he wasn't there. Really did expect more from a knight of the realm and he's gone down a lot in my estimations.

Isn't that the case though with a lot of professional sportsmen?

A certain Charlton player turned turned up for a high profile match involving Charlton and then went home because he had been left out of the team without waiting for the match. His name was Alan Curbishley and the match the Full Member's Cup Final. I'm not sure why Wiggins feels the need to effusively praise Froome in the media, or why anyone wants to hear him do so. Clearly theirs is a professional relationship only and both are vying to be top dog in the team - they are the Lennon and McCartney of the cycling world.

• The fella won the TDF ffs! A bit of praise couldn't have hurt.
    Especially as he spent the previous tour constantly digging Wiggins out so he could win it.
  • I'm certainly no Wiggo fan boy, but I witnessed him burying himself for Cav at the Olympic Road Race last year when he could have legitimately been saving himself for the TT, and his lead out on the CdE stage still gives me goosebumps so he knows the importance of team play. Still can't be easy to lose status as team leader to Chris Froome when you're meant to be glorifying in being number 1. But rather like my glorious herr leader Salmond's St Andrews flag stunt at Wimbledon Wiggo's reticence in praising his team mate IMMEDIATELY strikes me as a distinct lack of class
  • It would be easier to say something without meaning it, so I give SBW some credit for simply keeping quiet if he has nothing to say.
  • Have I missed something? All I've seen Brad say is that he couldn't watch the tour before going on to say how dominant Froome was and that he's "probably the best climber in the world". He also basically admitted that he wouldn't have beaten Chris at this years tour. Both of them are phenomenal riders with different strengths but I still prefer Brad as he has an edge about him!

And as for Cav, yes he can get a bit stroppy and act like a prick when he looses but when he wins the first words out of his mouth are usually thanking his lead out train! A the worlds greatest ever sprinter he has a lot of pressure to win and its not surprising he gets upset when he doesn't.
  • Have I missed something? All I've seen Brad say is that he couldn't watch the tour before going on to say how dominant Froome was and that he's "probably the best climber in the world". He also basically admitted that he wouldn't have beaten Chris at this years tour. Both of them are phenomenal riders with different strengths but I still prefer Brad as he has an edge about him!

And as for Cav, yes he can get a bit stroppy and act like a prick when he looses but when he wins the first words out of his mouth are usually thanking his lead out train! A the worlds greatest ever sprinter he has a lot of pressure to win and its not surprising he gets upset when he doesn't.

This, THIS AND more THIS.
  • And as for Cav, yes he can get a bit stroppy and act like a prick when he looses but when he wins the first words out of his mouth are usually thanking his lead out train! As the worlds greatest ever sprinter he has a lot of pressure to win and its not surprising he gets upset when he doesn't.

...and don't forget he's got a screw loose as well.

• Rather Wiggo than a Kenyan bloke that was educated in South Africa and now lives in Monaco yet everyone seems to think is British , weird.
  • edited July 2013
    I think he would have praised anyone else who had won but Froome - they clearly don't get on and the wives don't either if Twitter is/was anything to go by!

As for Cavendish - he doesn't seem to take too kindly to being criticised or questioned.

Had that been a footballer reacting like Cavendish did by taking somebody's phone it when he didn't like being accused of causing a crash during the Tour they would have made front page news and he'd be hammered by the other press guys.

Then again he is a winner and like Wiggins we cannot complain about that!
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

Rather Wiggo than a Kenyan bloke that was educated in South Africa and now lives in Monaco yet everyone seems to think is British , weird.

Who's this?
  • Cheers
  • Wanted froome to win as under the British flag but am sure read only came to England at 22.
  • MrOneLung said:

Wanted froome to win as under the British flag but am sure read only came to England at 22.

I think he has an English parent so qualifies that way.
  • Bradley Wiggins quote from The Times -

“Chris’s performance was dominant – it was a brilliant team performance and brilliant individual performances so they deserved everything they got,” he said.
    “He is probably the best climber in the world at the moment. I have never been that good a climber – I can climb but my speciality has always been the time trial. For sure, if the Tour [in 2014] is like it was this year, Chris is the stronger rider.”

• se9addick said:

MrOneLung said:

Wanted froome to win as under the British flag but am sure read only came to England at 22.

I think he has an English parent so qualifies that way.
    A little booklet with a few pages in it doesn't make one British.

• No, you have to be able to trace your roots back to before William the Conqueror, and none of your predecessors can have ever left the country at any point, unless it was to fight Johnny Foreigner...
  • buckshee said:

Rather Wiggo than a Kenyan bloke that was educated in South Africa and now lives in Monaco yet everyone seems to think is British , weird.

So you'd rather the one who was born in Belgium to an Australian father?

Personally I think we're just very lucky to have two such talents representing Britain in cycling.