Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradley Wiggins joins Team Sky

2»

Comments

• Options

buckshee said:

Rather Wiggo than a Kenyan bloke that was educated in South Africa and now lives in Monaco yet everyone seems to think is British , weird.

So you'd rather the one who was born in Belgium to an Australian father?
    Who's spent most of his life living in this country and still does?

Yes , yes I would.
  • Options

No, you have to be able to trace your roots back to before William the Conqueror, and none of your predecessors can have ever left the country at any point, unless it was to fight Johnny Foreigner...

Who asked your opinion, you foreigner?

:-)
  • Options
    I'll take both please
  • Options
    Addickted said:

No, you have to be able to trace your roots back to before William the Conqueror, and none of your predecessors can have ever left the country at any point, unless it was to fight Johnny Foreigner...

Who asked your opinion, you foreigner?

:-)
    Ha - you gringo dog... I keel you...
  • Options

buckshee said:

Rather Wiggo than a Kenyan bloke that was educated in South Africa and now lives in Monaco yet everyone seems to think is British , weird.

So you'd rather the one who was born in Belgium to an Australian father?

Personally I think we're just very lucky to have two such talents representing Britain in cycling.
    Agreed.
    It might seem like a hollow victory to some considering that our GB cycling heroes are not infact 100% British, but in the long run I assume that the success' of Wiggo & Froome will go a long way to inspiring young British cyclist's for the future. That and the new Velodrome in Stratford.
  • Options
    I liked Greg Rusedski. He was as British as a Samurai sword.
  • Options
    How anyone can compare Wiggins to Rusedski or Froome is beyond me. Wiggins was brought up here by his British mum and his British grandparents. He still lives here as well. He doesn't represent this country out of convenience like some others do.
  • Options
    Those competing in Le Tour are representing corporations rather than countries though really aren't they?

Team Sky aren't very British...
  • Options
    WSS said:

Those competing in Le Tour are representing corporations rather than countries though really aren't they?

Team Sky aren't very British...

They are based in Britain have a British sponsor, the team principals are British and they have a number of British riders - many of the junior (i.e. non Grand Tour/high profile riders) are British etc.

You could argue that Arsenal and Chelsea are not British - neither have British managers, the playing staff resembles the UN and the owners and sponsors are not British, yet no one would doubt that they are British clubs.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Froome was brought into the British Cycling set up by Brailsford, who went out of his way to poach him. Froome's parents were English, and for Sir Dave that was enough to get him qualified for Team GB. Froome would have been educated here if it wasn't for his parents divorced stopping the funds for him to come to the UK for school, and would pass the Buckshee roast beef test.

The Divorce of Wiggins parents ensure he passed the Buckshee test, and become more British, otherwise he would have spent a fair bit of time in Northern Europe with his dad on the pro circuit, and he might have ended up in the Belgium set up riding for OPQS for example.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If my Aunty had a cock.....
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    buckshee said:

If my Aunty had a cock.....

She would be a chicken farmer?