Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite and worst closed pubs

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Had a bit of a soft spot for the DG in Wellington Street, Woolwich and the Black Horse in Sidcup - not the greatest boozers but some happy memories. The other Woolwich pub I regret closing is the Union Tavern in Creton Street by the Greenwich Council yard. Nothing special but a decent workers' pub. I sometimes see the old landlady Brenda in Sainsburys in Eltham.

Hated the Castle in Eltham High Street. Went there one Christmas lunchtime in my late teens with a mate for a quick pint before lunch. It all kicked off big time with a couple of herberts. So much for peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

Comments

• Options
    I used to drink in the Castle, Eltham High Street as a 16 & 17 year old. Modern souless place, but that's where we met upsometimes after work.

Next door used to be the Eltham ABC cinema, saw films like "Paint Your Wagon", starring Lee Marvin.
    Remember going with my GF to see the last film on the Saturday night they closed for the last time. a Hammer Horror.
    About 1973, I suppose.

Got a bit of history with the Union too. I used to play for Union 97 FC in the Woolwich & District League, home games at the Meridian .... and the Union pub was where the team was formed.
  • Options
    The Victoria, Charlton
    The Nicholas Nickleby, Manchester

Loved them pubs. What pubs should be like, not like this Slug and Cabbage and All Bar Eight doings.
  • Options
    I used to live at the horseshit end of Bromley Common, drank in the Sawyers Arms, a Shepherd Neame pub next to the bus garage. Worked behind the bar for a few years too.

There used to be a launderette a few doors away - once a week my flatmate and me would take up a bin liner full of dirty washing, chuck it in about 3 washing machines and retire to the pub to drink the time away until the laundry was done.

Often we staggered out the pub only to find the launderette locked up and in darkness.
    Heigh-ho.

The place is a McDonalds horseburger bar last I heard.
  • Options
    Fav - The Barrier Arms

No bad ones.
  • Options
    the dew drop inn and goldsmiths tavern in new cross were ok, the cross keys wine bar in erith not so great
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]Had a bit of a soft spot for the DG in Wellington Street, Woolwich and the Black Horse in Sidcup - not the greatest boozers but some happy memories. The other Woolwich pub I regret closing is the Union Tavern in Creton Street by the Greenwich Council yard. Nothing special but a decent workers' pub. I sometimes see the old landlady Brenda in Sainsburys in Eltham.

Hated the Castle in Eltham High Street. Went there one Christmas lunchtime in my late teens with a mate for a quick pint before lunch. It all kicked off big time with a couple of herberts. So much for peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

Drunk occasionally in all of those except the Castle in the past. If I was in Eltham High Street which was only after indoor cricket nets we tended to go to the Greyhound or Carpenters Arms which has also closed.
  • Options
    Great website for this subject

Derelict London
  • Options
    Favourites were Yorkshire Grey and Mcmillans (Deptford) , no bad ones that I can think of though
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My brother, the YTS would definitely say The Paviours Arms in Pimlico
    One that bugs me, even though I never went in it (!)is the old Intrepid Fox in Soho. Was a proper rock pub- catering for a crowd- and is now a generic burger and chips place.
  • Options
    Rose and Crown in Plumstead High Street, definitely a local place for local people.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    favourite - yorkshire grey.
    the greyhound, eltham used to be a brilliant pub but in the end was glad to see it close after it turned into a complete arse-trap.
  • Options
    The Rose Inn, Brewery Road needs demolising.....what a dump, you used to love the beer at the Tramshed
  • Options
    Have fond memories as a child playing in the Dover Patrol beer garden in the summer.
    Can always remember the Sunday morning "meet" at the Yorkshire Grey.
    Drove past the McDonalds there the other day, looks although Greenwich Borough is now a housing development (has this been mentioned elsewhere?)
  • Options
    The Hoy just over creek bridge was pretty much just as bad as the Fortune of War on warspite rd in the appalling pub stakes, I remember being in the Hoy some 20 plus years ago and realising the time, I had promised the wife I would be home at certain time for sunday lunch. I put the pool cue down on the table, swallowed a huge mouthful of my beer and tore out of the pub.
    On my return monday after work for a quick pint, the cue was still on the table along with 2 thirds of a pint. Needless to say I finished the game, but left the beer.
    What a dump it was, but there was always a morbid fasination with the place.
  • Options
    The Station Hotel Sidcup next to the railway station of course.One of the first pubs i went to.Got taken there by an old friend long since passed away.Happy days god bless you Dick.
  • Options
    Old Friends - East Greenwich. Not missed by many I'd imagine.
  • Options
    The Rising Sun Catford is sorely missed by a few of us that knew it in it's better days.
  • Options
    King & Queen Mottingham - best and worst of places not sure which.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]The Rising Sun Catford is sorely missed by a few of us that knew it in it's better days.
    I went in there once in about 95 on a sunday evening to see a mate's band play. Didn't seem too bad.
  • Options
    The Farmers in Sevenoaks.

Six coaches left from there for the play off final - the landlord bought the family sunday lunches for a month because of the trade he did.

Knocked down three years ago - the site is still derilict. A tragic waste.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]King & Queen Mottingham - best and worst of places not sure which.

My uncles used to drink in there as my grandparents (RIP) used to live in Dunkery Road, a real locals Millwall pub if ever there was one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Rose and Crown in Plumstead High Street, definitely a local place for local people.....

yep used to love it in there even if the last lanlord was palace.
  • Options
    Another pub bites the Dust

The wheatsheaf sittingbourne gone drunk in there man and boy but sadly as of 3pm today gone
  • Options
    Watermans arms was my local, perfect for a Friday night chill out few jars game of pool, still can't belive they knocked it down to make a bigger left turn onto woolwich road, remeber the last night we drank the place dry was so hammerd, got some blinding stories from there best one, one night there was abit of an attempt of a disco, loud music on, I'm at a table with me my mate when a young black lad walks in, people look up as he goest straight to the toilets.. comes back a few mins later and is leaning across the bar asking the landlord somthing, due to his age and the loud music the guvnor can't hear him, the black kid starts to shout just as a record stops "theres no condoms in the condom machine" dead silence.... everyone stares at him he went as red as our home shirt.. then legged it out. Poor lad but at least he was being safe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Watermans arms was my local, perfect for a Friday night chill out few jars game of pool, still can't belive they knocked it down to make a bigger left turn onto woolwich road, remeber the last night we drank the place dry was so hammerd, got some blinding stories from there best one, one night there was abit of an attempt of a disco, loud music on, I'm at a table with me my mate when a young black lad walks in, people look up as he goest straight to the toilets.. comes back a few mins later and is leaning across the bar asking the landlord somthing, due to his age and the loud music the guvnor can't hear him, the black kid starts to shout just as a record stops "theres no condoms in the condom machine" dead silence.... everyone stares at him he went as red as our home shirt.. then legged it out. Poor lad but at least he was being safe.
    Back in the 70's the Watermans was a 'blackman's pub', if you were white you never went in the unless you knew someone...

They had a little room out the back where cards were played for serious money, I went in there one day and asked if a mate of mine called Eddie Johnson was in, the barmaid asked me what my name was, 'Bob Johnson' I says, she goes away, comes back and says he'll be out in a minute, she then asks if we were related, the whole bar just collapsed in fits of laughter...
  • Options
    Few places mentioned in this thread I remember. The intrepid fox in Soho is still going, but has obviously moved. It is now just behind centre point on Denmark street. Still a big music pub by the look of the clientele.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Rose and Crown in Plumstead High Street, definitely a local place for local people.....

yep used to love it in there even if the last lanlord was palace.
    What era did you drink in there...?

Fat Cliff was the manager when I was there last, he was definitely a Charlton supporter, in fact he was best mates with Keith Peacock and used to get quite a few comp tickets...
  • Options
    I too remember the Union Tavern in Woolwich, It was probably the first pub I started going to.

Used to like "The Lads of the Village", which later became the Thames Barrier Arms.
    Also used to drink in the Victoria, although I recall it as a bit of a shoebox with a wonky floor.
    Of course, the Horse & Groom; my uncle went there before my first ever Charlton game in '62; left me and my brother outside with lemonade & crisps.
    I remember drinking in the Lord Howick.
    Mustn't forget the Harrow Inn; horrible place but so symbolic of Abbey Wood village.

Can anybody remember the Crabtree in Crabtree Manorway, Belvedere?

Dont really have a favourite, just a lot of memories.
  • Options
    Being a Woolwich boy there are tooooooo many pubs to mention that are now shut that I drunk in but the one that stands out was the WELLSLEY ARMS at the end of woodhill road down hill reach next to the woolwich barracks ski slope. I had so many good days and nights in that pub and in all the years I drunk in there I think I saw one fight!!

Having drunk in there from 16 on my 18th birthday Ann and Phil (landlady & Landlord) come over to our table with a bottle of shampoo knowing its an 18th they had a shock when they saw it was mine and I had been drinking in there 2 years.......LOL!
  • Options
    I liked the North Kent Tavern in Spray Street Woolwich. Thinking back, it might be where these Cage fighting and Ultimate fighting oojimiflips got the idea from. Take one small, confined area and fill it with people who enjoyed a tear up and the winner is the last one standing.