Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Bent still doing the business....

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Okay ..... but if David Moyes could make the lazy f*ker graft, why couldn't Curbs?

Probably because Moyes is a much better manager as their current status' would tell thee.

I was at that Chelsea game and thought, hmm good signing. For the next 2.5 years I thought he was a waste of space.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Okay ..... but if David Moyes could make the lazy f*ker graft, why couldn't Curbs?

I think Curbs did get him playing - he scored on his debut vs Chelsea, but it was under Dowie, Reed etc that he underperformed.
  • Options
    Just signed on loan to QPR for the rest of the season.

Trying to think of a player that has taken more out of the game and contributed less?
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs?
  • Options
    No Corry Gibbs has earnt his wages in being a legendary enigma, whereas Marcus Bent......................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Just signed on loan to QPR for the rest of the season.

Trying to think of a player that has taken more out of the game and contributed less?

Winston Bogarde.

"Bogarde decided to stay at Chelsea honouring his contract to the letter and appearing for training every day, but only played for the team very sparingly. Of his contract he said, 'Why should I throw fifteen million Euros away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract'. In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period. Furthermore, Chelsea won a domestic trophy during this period triggering a bonus payment in agreement with his contract, despite Bogarde not featuring at all for Chelsea that season.

During his period at Chelsea, the club repeatedly tried to offload Bogarde, because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to the reserve and youth teams, in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. He also became a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness. Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership, but I don't care."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Just signed on loan to QPR for the rest of the season.

Winston Bogarde.

"Bogarde decided to stay at Chelsea honouring his contract to the letter and appearing for training every day, but only played for the team very sparingly. Of his contract he said, 'Why should I throw fifteen million Euros away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract'. In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period. Furthermore, Chelsea won a domestic trophy during this period triggering a bonus payment in agreement with his contract, despite Bogarde not featuring at all for Chelsea that season.

During his period at Chelsea, the club repeatedly tried to offload Bogarde, because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to the reserve and youth teams, in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. He also became a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness. Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership, but I don't care."

He used to fly back to Holland every day after training and return the next day.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]He used to fly back to Holland every day after training and return the next day.

Ah ...... that's what they mean by going Dutch with your girlfriend?
  • Options
    I make Bogarde absolutely right, Chelsea were dumb enough to give him a four-year deal on 40K per week so why should he not ride it out? They could afford it and he was not going to get the same dough anyplace else.

Different to Marcus Bent in that Bogarde was not even given a chance to be shite!!!
  • Options
    Signed for Wolves on loan

How does M.Bent keep finding clubs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sky Sports iPhone app says Marcus Bent has joined Marcus Bent on loan...

Further down it mentioned Wolves. Seems there is always a desperate club out there that think they'll be the one to get something out of him. They'd have been better off keeping Iwelumo.
  • Options
    I have nothing but contempt for the waster and hope McCarthy susses him out and gives him short shrift. I wonder if he still cares enough even to pretend for his usual first few games as he's done everywhere else before settling down to do nothing except take the money.
  • Options
    i think it's all based on the one cracking season that he had for everton where played the lone striker for them.
  • Options
    Waste of time and money. Will he even get a game ahead of Doyle, Fletcher and Ebanks-Blake?
  • Options
    Who is his parent club these days?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "he's also a different type of striker to the ones we have"

yeah a striker who can't score and is a lazy git
  • Options
    I used to despise Bent for being arrogant lazy and useless. But then Izale came into his own and now Marcus doesn't seem so bad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]I used to despise Bent for being arrogant lazy and useless. But then Izale came into his own and now Marcus doesn't seem so bad.

I agree, at least 'Big Bent' found the net on occasion, Izale took about 18 months to find it, and even then it was a horrible scuff that trickled in, followed by a load of chest-thumping, shirt-removing idiocy
  • Options
    Hard to seperate mcLeod and bent as supreme wasters but I thnk I would go for Bent, since he adm,itted that during our relegation season he had not really tried.
  • Options
    Unbelieveable. I could vaguely understand some desperate Championship club atking a punt, but I'd have creditted McCarthy with more sense and higher standards.

Bent remains the only Charlton player I have ever booed, after he pissed off straight down the tunnele in our last game in the Prem, at Anfield. Every other player came over to applaud us and they got a rapturous responses despite it being a shite season. Marcu*t just ran straight off though, and basically said 'eff you' to all the fans in the process.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "you can con some ofthe people some ofthe time, but you cant con all ofthe people all ofthe time" ---------------dont apply to this lump does it ? we paid £2million and he has played for 10+ clubs getingthe big money where ever he turned up a total joke and proves some/most ofthese experts are KAK.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i think it's all based on the one cracking season that he had for everton where played the lone striker for them.

In that 'cracking' season he only scored 6 league goals.

He's reached double figures for league goals only twice in his entire career. Overall record is 107 goals in 499 games. That's pretty rubbish.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Sky Sports iPhone app says Marcus Bent has joined Marcus Bent on loan...

Further down it mentioned Wolves. Seems there is always a desperate club out there that think they'll be the one to get something out of him. They'd have been better off keeping Iwelumo.

They'd be better off keeping Steve Bull ; )
  • Options
    Scored one in 8 for Everton. They then sold him to us at a small 500% profit and he repaid us with one in 12.
  • Options
    Bet he'll end up being Wolves' top scorer......

....off the pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Scored one in 8 for Everton. They then sold him to us at a small 500% profit and he repaid us with one in 12.

£2m for Bent - not Curbs' finest hour...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i think it's all based on the one cracking season that he had for everton where played the lone striker for them.

That's what I thought, he wasn't exactly prolific but worked a damn site harder than he ever has since. Amazing that this guy is techically called a professional footballer!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Scored one in 8 for Everton. They then sold him to us at a small 500% profit and he repaid us with one in 12.

how much would a premeirship side have to pay for a striker in the overinflated christmas window when you are in desperate need of a striker and where did we finish anyway? people were moaning that we've had to pay £250,000 for benson. everyone is in the wrong job as it seems so easy to get players so cheaply

bent's cracking season was, through injuries that moyes played the loan striker very effectively,with bent playing with his back to goal his workrate was exceptional. he didn't score a great deal but team player could not have been more apt,honestly he really was. speak to everton season ticket holders at the time,bent really did have a great season for them. following season change of tactics and he lost form. attitude possibly too which is why moyes may have made his flippant comments about him following the sale.

now i'm not bent's biggest fan either,but the amount of shit that gets levelled at curbs so consisantly is a joke. i just try to step back to see the bigger picture.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

I'd say that was an absolute steal seeing as we went on to pay about 4-5m for Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye!!
  • Options
    How this man or his agent manage to con premiership teams into thinking he'll make a difference I don't know.