Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Bent still doing the business....

Comments

• Options
    14 clubs in 13 years apparently. Stunning work from his agent there, I doff my cap sir.
  • Options
    Get ready for the false dawn; a couple of decent games while he tries to secure another signing on fee before the agonised holding of the hamstring or lower back which magically recovers sufficiently for him to go partying with some slapper. McLeish hasn't taken long to work him out. Come on Mick McCarthy; your turn... join in training and show him how you used to tackle! Reprehensible conman who epitomises our fall from financial safety.
  • Options
    As a footballer, you try and push yourself every day to achieve more and more. I'll never stop learning. I might be one of the older members of the squad here but I can still get better. I am sure the boys will teach me some stuff and hopefully I can teach them some stuff." Quote from Marcus himself on the BBC site. God knows what he plans to teach them. I recall the Spurs game we had to win to stay up and when he was susbstituted it was the longest slowest walk off in history wasted a good minute getting off. I'm a big supporter of Curb, but MB was his worst buy by a mile (not a hindsight judgement e.g. Neil Redfearn) . Someone mentioned Dean Ashton being available at the same time. He went to West Ham shortly aftewards for at least double the fee, but had regularly been Darren B's partner for England Under 21s
  • Options
    Shouldn't that be, "I'll never stop earning"?
    More front than Brighton. Is he deliberately winding up his former employers? Utter scum.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]Someone mentioned Dean Ashton being available at the same time. He went to West Ham shortly aftewards for at least double the fee,

£7 million Ashton cost West Ham.

Curbs had a budget of £2.5 million. Not quite the same depth of purse, is it?

I guess also Curbs was impressed with Marcus Bunt's grafting lone striker performances for Everton.
    But just for once, Curbs forgot to do his homework on a player's character and personality.

Or maybe Marcus Bunt was the only 'Prem standard striker' available for his budget.
    And the gamble was made. And lost.
  • Options
    i think curbs thought ashton was injury prone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i think curbs thought ashton was injury prone

You may be right.
    Pity Curbs didn't realise Marcus Bunt was idleslapperfucking prone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i think it's all based on the one cracking season that he had for everton where played the lone striker for them.
  • Options
    Have a word with yourself, Mr Threadkiller!

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]£7 million Ashton cost West Ham.

I think he meant when Norwich signed Ashton. Cost them £3m in January 2005, a year earlier than we signed Bent.

I remember noticing him at the time on the top scorers chart. Was scoring goals regularly in the Championship in a struggling Crewe side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I think he meant when Norwich signed Ashton. Cost them £3m in January 2005, a year earlier than we signed Bent.

Good point, Scoham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]£7 million Ashton cost West Ham.

I think he meant when Norwich signed Ashton. Cost them £3m in January 2005, a year earlier than we signed Bent.

I remember noticing him at the time on the top scorers chart. Was scoring goals regularly in the Championship in a struggling Crewe side.

Bang on the money, sir.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    is that the season we finished 11th and norwich went down?

where was all this money that people keep finding for these hindsight players that the board could just splash out just for the hell of it?

didn't we sign darren bent 5 months later for £2.5m and sold him for £16.5m?

what was the problem?
  • Options
    Just reading the title of this thread makes me feel sick.

In my view Marcus Bent epitomises everything that is wrong with football today.
  • Options
    Many of Curbs' recruits were consequences of having had a good game against us. I suspect M Bent was another one of them.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Just reading the title of this thread makes me feel sick.

In my view Marcus Bent epitomises everything that is wrong with football today.[/quote]

definitely, cant believe the tosser is still getting with it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Bent, since he adm,itted that during our relegation season he had not really tried.
    Not surprising at all, but where was that?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i think curbs thought ashton was injury prone[/quote]

Never stopped him before!!!!!!!!!!!! In Fact it would have been more a bloody reason to sign him in his eyes!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]http://www.fansfc.com/story/27946.html

Anybody going to say "sign him up - he could do a job for us in this division"?

Thought not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'd prefer him to akpo ..............
  • Options
    I am not going to suggest signing him back but I suspect we may see him against us this season . His wages will have been paid up so he would need to rebuild his career . He had bad loan spells at Middlesborough and QPR last season and Wolves this season.Surely a Prem or CCC club will not take another punt.
  • Options
    Odious specimen, and a waste of good air.
  • Options
    I remember that David Moyes was ecstatic when he shifted MB in our direction. '1.6M for an average player is really good business', or words to that effect.

It's hard to blame Curbs though. SAF has made his fair share of crap buys and we should rememebr that Curbs bought in Darren Bent and the club made a huge profit on him.

MB should carry a financial health warning for any prospective club.
  • Options
    If we all wish really hard do you think he will end up at palace? Trouble is he has been there before. Perhaps palace fans will have short memories.
  • Options
    Some other mug club will sign him and get f**ked over for however many £'s per week his agent manages to screw them for.

Despicable.
  • Options
    Football Rumours think he is in demand . Who will be his 15th club ?

29 Dec 2010 16:22:27
    Marcus Bent is a January, permanent deal option for Barnsley, Millwall and Derby County.

Cardiff City have also been mentioned, but I expect any move will be shunned, after Bent turned on a move to the South Wales team to join Birmingham, despite both personal terms a £1m deal being agreed with Charlton as well as his medical being completed.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    He's gone full circle, he's back at Sheffield United. I was going to say "didn't they learn the first time round", but he did score 20 goals in 48 games for them.. er.. 12 years ago.
  • Options
    He may actually do ok there as Micky Adams was his manager in 2003/04 when he was at Leicester, seem to remember despite their relegation he did ok and maybe reached double figures for goals that season. He certainly scored a belter at The Valley in the 2-2 draw.
  • Options
    Hope he helps Utd stay up at Palace's expense. Otherwise I couldn't care less.