Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U-18s v Chelsea tonight

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
4th round of the FA Youth Cup at The Valley, 7pm kick-off- anyone going?
It will be the first outing this season for my scarf and bench-jacket!

Comments

• Options
    Not that i'd encourage this as it's giving them more money but Chelsea TV is £3 a month at the moment, so you could subscribe to it today for £3, watch the game on there live tonight, then cancel it tomorrow, save yourself £2 on your match ticket and stay home in the warm.
  • Options
    Chris, that post may very well signal the death of football.
  • Options
    I did say i wouldn't encourage it and i only wrote it cos some people moaned on another thread about paying a whole £5 to go.
  • Options
    I'm going. Sod TV
  • Options
    That's the spirit!

Get behind our youngsters, yay!
  • Options
    Was planning on going but the 7:00 kick off time has ballsed it up for me.
  • Options
    Anyone who is going should be given a pat on the back big time for getting behind the youngsters at the club and in the cold too. The club should recognise this but they wont.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Anyone who is going should be given a pat on the back big time for getting behind the youngsters at the club and in the cold too. The club should recognise this but they wont.
    What do you suggest they do to 'recognise' this?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Anyone who is going should be given a pat on the back big time for getting behind the youngsters at the club and in the cold too. The club should recognise this but they wont.

Free baseball bats in preparation for Saturday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Free baseball bats in preparation for Saturday

Perfect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just a little note of recognition on the OS may go down well.
  • Options
    heard millwall have turned up in force.

They've taken the pish in all our pubs

Anyone know the team?
  • Options
    Get over to Twitter - #cafc for updates.
  • Options
    Nathan don't do phones.....
    I don't do Twitters.............

Any news ?
  • Options
    0-1 Though we are by no means out of it - Yes you do do Twitter Mog!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]0-1 Though we are by no means out of it - Yes you do do Twitter Mog!!

I do ?
    BDL, don't think I know how too..........
  • Options
    AHA you have someone on their reporting to be you then!!!!
  • Options
    No chance of going I am afraid.......
    Really hope the lads do well.
  • Options
    One of ours called Azeez is having a good game from off the bench apparently.
  • Options
    Now 0-2 Chelsea certainly not the better team, just more clinical
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea gone 2-0 up despite us bossing the second half. Less than 10 minutes left.
  • Options
    why do we bother with an academy?

Waste of money, never produces any players fot the first team.

Blah,blah, wibble wibble.
  • Options
    Cousins pulled one back, but it wasn't to be our night. Well done to our lads. More chance of us seeing them go on and play in the league than Chelsea fans have of seeing their "starlets"!
  • Options
    would say we have a good chance of seeing a few of their players in our team in a few years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]would say we have a good chance of seeing a few of our players in their team in a few years.
  • Options
    Good game - the whistle caught me out at half time and full time as I was enjoying it and not looking at my watch. They were clearly better and fielded a strong team, but we carved out a few good chances (their first goal came from a Dutch U21 international). I stood up throughout and the team started with 1-11 and I got a photocopied team sheet! Old skool.

Chelsea had a bit much in the tank but we did pretty well. Notables:
    Binks: Decent job, pretty solid
    Cousins: Given that he was giving away up to three years on some, looked very assured. A little lucky with the chance.
    Morris: Looked a bit out of his depth today, unfortunately. Looked very right sided for a left back
    Jenks: Captain, very assured on the ball, and commanding at the back.
    Mambo: Settled in after a shaky start
    Warren: Made a few mistakes early on, but settled down well. A bit in the Racon mould.
    Pell: rangy and hard working, but didn't quite come off for him today.
    Bellamy: looked handy when he ran at them. Switched to right back second half which was tough for him.
    Carter: similar to Morris, struggled against a strong Chelsea right flank.
    Tuna: failed to bury a couple of chances, but worked hard up front and on the left in the second half. At one stage ran into the empty south stand to collect the ball. Can't fault that.
    Perkins: Busy and combative, but didn't get a break today.
    Sub HT - Aziz: caused a few problems, could be handful when he fills out
    Sub after about 70 - Comacho: disallowed goal (whistle had clearly gone), looked OK
    Sub after about 90 - Anderson: another beanpole. Did well in his cameo.

Well done to all, good entertainment. Also well done to the likes of Jonjo and Robbie who showed up to support their mates. Nice to see. We're a good bunch!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Well done to all, good entertainment. Also well done to the likes of Jonjo and Robbie who showed up to support their mates. Nice to see. ![/quote]

I would have liked to see Jonjo playing tonight. He needs match practice after all the bench warming he's been doing and he could have been the bit of class that made the difference. I'm sure people will respond by saying he could get injured blah blah. But he could equally get injured in training. And the kid needs match practice. And we needed him.
  • Options
    I know Jonjo is an important member of the 1st team squad ...... but he might have been handy coming off the bench tonight.

Unless it was considered to much of a risk in case he picked up a knock before Xmas, or the young subs needed a 'big match' experience under their belt?
  • Options
    I get what you're saying, but the game looks a lot different to a regular match. Much more space and less physical. So, not sure that at his stage in his development that would have been getting him real match fitness. Also:

1) How might it have affected him, who has been a first team starter at the back of last season and start of this, to have gone back to this level.
    2) The game was played in good spirit, but might such a high profile player have been a target?
    3) What if he'd picked up a 4 month injury, can you imagine the fuss?
    4) If he went to Chelsea in the window, there'd be a fuss saying that we were putting him in the shop window with them tonight.

I just think it's great that he showed up on a cold night when he didn't need to. There was no profile to being there, he was just quietly sat in the stand, and chatting to folk in the west stand car park.

One thing I forgot to mention, to put into perspective the scale of the Chelsea academy operation: they were full of internationals, it was on Chelsea TV (jesus) and they had 2 cameras and 18 staff, with Scott Minto adding summary in the studio.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]AHA you have someone on their reporting to be you then!!!!

Oh S**t........
    2 Mog's ?