Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U-18s v Chelsea tonight

2»

Comments

• Options
    Identity theft!

Good game, the future's fairly bright, I'd say. I'm not seeing any of them in the first team in the immediate future (and remember Chelsea had players who'd played in their first team), although Jenkinson/Mambo could probably step it up in an emergeny and Cousins will be there within a couple of years. In fact he'll be playing at a lot higher level than we're at, at the moment, hopefully with us. All of them showed good character and worked very hard. Notables for Chelsea were the Clifford who was at number 6 (Connor? - who was a bit Parkerish) and Tore, who was knocking in some stunning dead balls - the cross for the first goal was unplayable. Obviously the scorer of the first goal is already playing at a higher level.

'Nuff respect to Jonjo for showing up and getting behind the lads.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reports.

Will be interesting to see if Mambo, Tuna and maybe some others now go out on loan to get more experience.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Identity theft!

Good game, the future's fairly bright, I'd say. I'm not seeing any of them in the first team in the immediate future (and remember Chelsea had players who'd played in their first team), although Jenkinson/Mambo could probably step it up in an emergeny

I thought Yado had a poor game yesterday and looked very slow and vulnerable. His heading was very wayward too. He seems to be going backwards compared to last season. Jenkinson, in comparison, is coming on very well. I thought Harry Pell, though gangly at the moment and looking a bit like Bambi on ice, showed a lot of fight and did some excellent things. Tuna and Perkins were a bit disappointing last night, unable to get by the solid Chelsea defence. First time I have seen Aziz and I wasn't impressed - I can't recall a single ball he won or good pass.
  • Options
    First time I've seen this batch. Lots of neat and tidy contributions on both sides without any forward players really standing out. So, in a game where defenders caught the eye, I thought Jenkinson was outstanding, plus the two Chelsea centre backs. Their left back was useful too, and bearing in mind his age, Cousins did exceptionally well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Thanks for the reports.

Will be interesting to see if Mambo, Tuna and maybe some others now go out on loan to get more experience.

Somehow I forgot Tuna. Henry probably because he's already part of the picture. He missed a couple of sitters, but worked very hard and made the right runs, and is bulking up. I'd have no concerns if he was in the team, he's not going to displace our current first choice four, but if we needed him, he'd do a job. Given he's made a few appearances for the big boys it was great to see him running up the stands to get the ball back in play.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Have a report from my usual Chelsea source if anyone is interested. He's compared a lot of them to the league game recently, our team was pretty much the same.
    Caused us far more problems against a stronger team whilst only adding Cousins, Morris and Tuna really. Tactically stuck to a plan really well, lacked any cutting edge up front else you might've won.

Binks: Made some good saves, decent positioning, decent kicking, made a bit of a poor call coming to get the ball for 1-0 as he got nowhere near it but seemed a solid enough goalie.

Cousins: Had a tough time first half against Gokhan Tore, but then he is an Under-21 international and reserve teamer. Looked better in the second half and shifted to left back, where he did well enough. Good shot for the goal even if it was majorly deflected. Not as quick as I'd have imagined, turned quite slowly but mentally looked like he knows what's what.

Morris: Kept Lalkovic very quiet in the first half, showed good pace to catch up when Milan was released in space and kept him closed fairly well, forcing him inside or into touch. Got injured though, so didn't see all 90.

Mambo and Jenkinson pretty much as I said above, same for Pell (although he was more influential than I've seen in two previous outings) and Bellamy.

Warren - was used in a central midfield role and with the ball, he was useless but he stuck to his marking task with great effort and energy and it was that tenacity which kept us very much on our toes.

Carter - anonymous all night, no surprise he got subbed. Almost a non-entity at ML and made two or three really bad passes trying to release Tuna.

Perkins - had a quiet night, didn't really get it going but worked hard to close down the defenders and looked to make something happen

Tuna - disappointed me, was on the periphery of things, had two chances he'll want to have done better on but rarely threatened in all honesty.

Subs:

Azeez - on at half time and did literally nothing of note.

Camacho - came on over on the right hand side and didn't really get involved

Anderson - no real time to make an impact but he is GIGANTIC, taller than Pell :-D

Here are the comments on Mambo, Jenkinson, Pell and Bellamy that he was talking about from the league game earlier this season-
    RB: Carl Jenkinson (c)
    - Looked a class apart in the defence as I understand he is. Dunno if there's anything I can tell you about him that you don't know, good pace, drive, tenacity, confident running with the ball, good at the back. Did get exposed for our opening goal but that was sheer brilliance from our winger.

DC: Yado Mambo
    - Could easily tell he was better and more experienced than his partner. Has grown into his body, wins things in the air easily against a big strong striker, doesn't rely on his physical attributes and carries the ball to the next level from defence. Wasn't so confident going towards his left side though.

MC: Harry Pell
    - Similar to last time, trots around the middle of the park, less effective today. Had struggles finding anyone ahead of him to do anything and launched a couple of wayward long balls to nobody. Subbed.

MR: Liam Bellamy
    - Good, direct running and closing down of our left-back, who is a winger playing in a new role, but didn't get the better of him over the course of the game and made little to no impact going forwards. Subbed.
  • Options
    I see that Chelsea won the youth cup tonight beating Villa 2-1 at Stamford bridge and 3-2 on aggregate...................so at least we can say we went out to the eventual winners!