Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

North West Kent Supporters Meeting - Peter Varney and Keith Peacock

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
For those of you who were unable to attend Bromley Addicks' recent Q & A meeting with Peter , have no fear....

North West Kent Addicks ( NWKA) will welcome Peter and popular Vice President, Keith Peacock, to Bexley Sports & Social Club, Calvert Drive, DA2 7GA on Tuesday 15th December - prompt 8pm start.

As this meeting has been arranged at short notice , the usual "members only " policy has been amended. New memberships will be taken on the night & those adults paying their annual £6 fee ( over 60's £2) will find their name entered into the free draw at the end of the season , with the winner taking home Nicky Bailey's signed , framed away shirt.

However, non members will gain entry to the meeting although a small donation to our charities for the season will be welcomed. This term we are supporting the Ellenor Lions Hospices jointly with Demelza House. The usual raffle including signed Charlton memorabilia will be held .

Please come along & help us put some faces to CL names and enjoy a convivial evening amongst like minded Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    Hope to make it, although I attended the excellent Bromley meeting a month or so ago re Peter Varney.
    Be interested to see who in Bexley is a Charlton supporter.
  • Options
    Gonna try and pop along if anyone fancies.

reading KPs excellent biog at the moment and haven't heard him talk at one of these for a few years
  • Options
    Thanks for the revival of my thread, AFKA.

To reiterate, all are welcome , especially Alex who I appear to have ignored today ! It's been a busy one for me and I apologise for not responding sooner.

Keith is becoming a regular in NWK, having produced a team for our most recent Quiz Evening and put in a welcome appearance at the Joydens Wood Community Day during the summer. He really is a legend and a great orator and I'm hoping for a good Lifer turnout tonight, albeit so close to the festive season.
  • Options
    can't make it tonight Fanny. Could someone ask PV if he knows what has happened with all the players we had coming from that club in the Ivory Coast ?
  • Options
    That's a pity, Large.

I'll do the honours for you & will be back on here later tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good luck with this tonight, hope the evening is a success.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited December 2009
    Great night, very open with their answers. Nothing new to report. Will put stuff up in the morning.
  • Options
    That's enough about your morning glory Dave, just a report on the evening will suffice.
  • Options
    Thanks, BDL , for both the excellent compering as always and for offering to fill the Lifers in on what was a great evening.
  • Options
    9.46 and still no report.

What an insult to real fans who couldn't make it due to hair washing and other important duties.

Why do people like NWKent Addicks think they are so special and keep all the secrets to themselves? Do they think they are better than the rest of us?

Sort it out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were told to keep it inside the room.
  • Options
    Fair enough - must have been really juicy if nothing can be said. Which is good!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]We were told to keep it inside the room.

but it's a public meeting, that's fascism. How can you treat other fans like this?
  • Options
    Thanks for the whisper, BDL

Can't believe they really said in public that but great if true
  • Options
    Because we are NW Kent and privy to certain things said inside the room.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Thanks for the whisper, BDL

Henry, you're pwoper nawty.

And thanks for passing on that whisper
  • Options
    cheers BDL. Can't quite believe a takeover is that close. I'll keep it to myself as requested.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Thanks for the whisper, BDL

Oops! when whispers go wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]cheers BDL. Can't quite believe a takeover is that close. I'll keep it to myself as requested.

LOL not just me who can't whisper proper then ; - )
  • Options
    DAVE,
    what have you said!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]DAVE,
    what have you said!!
    nuffink, honest.

(Right answer BDL?)
  • Options
    So the rumours about Palace ground sharing at the Valley are true?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]So the rumours about Palace ground sharing at the Valley are true?

sssssshhh!
  • Options
    Interesting comments on Parker and Reid.......

I accepted the answer on Parker and the money involved, and the position the club were in with him and Curbs etc. Events have moved on and think that Parker did himself no favours and his time at Chelsea although financially profitable did his playing career no favour's. But with Andy Reid I still am of the opinon that he should have been kept at the club till the summer. As the other members there commented it did not give us time to replace such a key player, and as I stated it gave the wrong impression to the fans and players that we could not mount a challenge, well that is my belief. My simplistic directive that you may well be offered a four fold increase , but you are going nowwhere son,you have a contract.... obviously is not a option possible to employ or financially realistic, at least that is the position of the club. I think as fan's we see it differently, which of course is our perspective. I still feel that if contracts mean anything there has to be a commitment by both parties to honour them, not just the club. Reid is a good player but his fitness is not robust, and he struggled to maintain a position at Sunderland. I feel I have to say that I understand the management's position but I think you have to have a clear resolve with these key situations,never an easy answer. But the fact remains that history will be the judge, and we sank after Reid left, we will never know what if...... but we know what did...

Still good double act, and good evening
  • Options
    Oops, another whisper gone wrong....
  • Options
    Ha ha, nice one Henners!!!! Some of us have work to do. Here goes what I can recall!

Takeover – Peter would not go into a great deal of detail about what is happening. Club is subject to non-disclosure agreements with all parties. Sullivan and Gold’s first priority is West Ham. They have submitted two proposals to the West Ham board and will see what happens. Deadline for West Ham bids is Friday. If that fails then Peter could see no reason why they wouldn’t go for us. Karen Brady was not at the Valley on Saturday!

Dowie/Pards – Peter had spent most of Tuesday with the clubs solicitors as they will be in Court on Friday. It may not come to a full blown court hearing. If it does everything will come out and the real reasons for his dismissal will become clear. Peter did say that this was a board who backed a manager for 13 years so to suddenly sack someone is such a short space of time show’s there were problems. Peter hopes that it does get to Court so we get to hear what happened.

Dowie made it clear that he needed new players. Board gambled and backed him, in the knowledge that the Sky money would rocket the next season. Gamble did not pay off. Peter did point out that we made money and covered our costs on most of Dowie’s signings.

Peter was asked about Pardew moaning that he was not told about the state of finances. Club backed Pardew with £11m for Varney, Macleod and Gray.

Curbs – All parties agreed that Curbs should move on. It would not have worked if he had stayed on. Peter remains convinced that Billy Davies was the right man for the job. Still does not know why he turned down the club.

Parker/Reid – Scotty’s head had been turned by the lure of money. He approached Curbs before Jan 1st asking for a transfer. Obvious he had been tapped up. Charlton asked Chelsea to hold off until the summer but Ranieri was adamant he wanted him in January. Hard for a player to turn down big money, short career and he is now set up for life. Andy Reid made it clear he wanted to leave, chance to more than double his wages, play for his hero and a chance to get back into the Ireland Squad. The club did everything they could to keep him.

Long discussion with the flaw on the merits of players demanding transfers to “bigger” clubs. Peter made the point that the Southend fans were abusing Nicky Bailey, who moved to us.

We spoke about the precarious positions that some clubs are in. Portsmouth, Hull, Watford and Palace. Peter spoke about the document being circulated. Clubs having problems as banks won't lend. So whereas before they would lend against assets - i.e. players, they now seay sell the player. Hence Moses being touted to everyone by Colin.

Parkinson – Keith very impressed with how he has moulded squad and turned it around. Good players in the squad, play for each other. Question about Lloyd Sam, person asking the question thought he was too fancy, just cross it. Keith agreed that he could be frustrating but pointed out how Lloyd plays and how the strikers can read what he is going to do.

Both were looking forward to Saturday. We talked about previous games against our near-neighbours. Keith remembers smashing a Volley in against them from 30, sorry 3 yards. We still lost though.

Keith went out for a game of golf with Killer a couple of months ago. Derek still on form! Killer Managed to get a drink at every hole. Still carded a score of 41, whilst Keith got progressively worse.

Peter and Keith met years ago when he won a competition in the Evening News. Peter won the competition after he wrote an article about a Match (When we beat Spurs at the Valley). Had his choice of players to go out with – Moore, Best, Cruyff but chose Keith P!

There’s probably more. Hope some of the others present can add to this.
  • Options
    Large, Jean was about to ask your question and I called the meeting to a close. It was gone midnight after all.
  • Options
    About bloody time and all BDL ; - )

Cheers for that.

Anything on the recent accounts and football league loan?

Players in or out?

Bailey being a nancy boy?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]9.46 and still no report.

What an insult to real fans who couldn't make it due to hair washing
    Oi Henners! Stop taking the pish - Dave can't help being follically challenged.... ;-p
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]9.46 and still no report.

What an insult to real fans who couldn't make it due to hair washing
    Oi Henners! Stop taking the pish - Dave can't help being follically challenged.... ;-p

LOL