Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Faviourite charlton manager

I think it would be inteesting to see everyone on here's opionion as the best / their faviourite charlton manager and perhaps we could get a poll going.

Now then u fortunately as I'm only 13 I don't have much chose and therefore I'll have to go for super alan curbishley

Comments

• Options
    Me, followed by Large Addick!:-)
  • Options
    PARKY
  • Options
    Curbs is the best

Les reed is the nicest bloke
  • Options
    Well since i've been coming the choice is Pardew or Parkinson ....... So its Parky for me
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What Lennie achieved in the 80s with the administration, getting kicked out The Valley and everything else that went on at that time and to get promoted and keep the spirit of the players and loyal fans in tact that travelled to Sellout and Upton Park in that season was an incredible achievement if not a minor miracle. Plus i was about 15 so great childhood memories that came from a very turbulent time.
  • Options
    Theo Foley, anyone who signs players like Derek Hales, Paddy Powell and Mike Flanagan all for next to nothing.................................................I rest my case.
  • Options
    Lennie Curbishley gets my vote :-)
  • Options
    Has to be either Dowie or Pardew surely.

Who would I most like to manage the club - easy - Harry Hill
  • Options
    We've done this thread 2 or 3 times before.

Henry is good at finding the links

;o)
  • Options
    jimmy seed ....... and if you know your history it's enough to make your heart go whoooooooooooooooooooooooah .....
    we have that FA CUP WINNERS 1947 on our club honours and that is something the scum or palarse will never get their grubby hands on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]jimmy seed ....... and if you know your history it's enough to make your heart go whoooooooooooooooooooooooah .....
    we have that FA CUP WINNERS 1947 on our club honours and that is something the scum or palarse will never get their grubby hands on[/quote]

wasnt alive to experience that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]jimmy seed ....... and if you know your history it's enough to make your heart go whoooooooooooooooooooooooah .....
    we have that FA CUP WINNERS 1947 on our club honours and that is something the scum or palarse will never get their grubby hands on

wasnt alive to experience that

Ah, but Oooh Aaaaaagh! was

;o)
  • Options
    Jimmy South Stand you mean.

He's number one for me even if I wasn't alive.
  • Options
    GOLD - Seed
    SILVER - Lennie
    BRONZE - Curbs
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I thought the point was to name your favourite Charlton manager assuming that the individual actually contributed towards memorable moments in your life. Whilst i appreciate that JS is a legend, surely if you experienced the times throughout Lennie 84-86 with the admin, eviction, ground sharing and incredible promotion under all those circumstances with crowds of around 5,000 at shithole palace thats gotta be an unbeatable achievement. After all Charlton under Jimmy Seed were attracting large crowds and not the struggling team during that period of time that Lennie inherited.

The day i read Lennie was going to Boro i think i nearly cried... :-(
  • Options
    Lennie
  • Options
    Jimmy Seed before I was born (HONEST)
    Theo for personal reasons,
    Sir Lennie and "Curbs" for success.

I cant believe no one has mentioned mullery ;)
  • Options
    [quote]I cant believe no one has mentioned mullery [/quote]

I can. Cnut
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]After all Charlton under Jimmy Seed were attracting large crowds and not the struggling team during that period of time that Lennie inherited.

Ah, but I think you may have missed the point there, Choice.

You see when Jimmy Seed took over as manager at Charlton .....they were a struggling Third Division side with small crowds.

It was actually Jimmy Seed's achievment of moulding that struggling Third Division side into not only a promotion side, but in successive years getting promoted to the second Division, promoted to the First Division and then the very next season finishing Runners Up, missing the title by just one single point. Beat that!

Jimmy Seed's next achievement was not just keeping plucky little Charlton in the top flight, but next finishing 4th, then 3rd before the war stopped everything. Even during the war, we had 2 Wembley finals, winning the War Cup.

Immediately after the war, there were the 2 consecutive FA Cup Finals, culminating in bringing the FA Cup home to The Valley.

Then the next 10 years keeping Charlton in the top flight without substantial investment that the top clubs of the day enjoyed.

Take nothing away from Lennie, because without him there would be no Charlton today, let alone a totally unanticipated 4 year sojourn in the top flight against all the odds. That was survival at all costs, a miracle even.

But Jimmy Seed created a different fairytale, again against all the odds, but it established Charlton for a generation as one of the top clubs in the land.

Even Curbs, admittedly in a very different era, couldn't get quite as near as that.
    Nor sustained for so long a period.

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Has to be either Dowie or Pardew surely.

Who would I most like to manage the club - easy - Harry Hill

Now, you see I like Dowie...and I also like Pardew..but who's best? There's only one way to find out....FIGHT!!!!!!

Lennie for me too, top bloke, top manager, top Division...in our darkest hour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats fair enough Oggy Red but in my lifetime i dont think anyone will ever come near to Lennie and i still believe that overall there is nothing really between him and JS for very different reasons. I also think that football was a lot more competitive in the 80s which made his achievements greater compared to war years when obviously war affected many clubs, fan bases and so on...
  • Options
    Andy "village idiots" Nelson anyone?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Not my favourite but I really did like Phil Parkinson the other day... Really hope he does well top bloke.

Favourites are Jimmy and Big AC
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]Thats fair enough Oggy Red but in my lifetime i dont think anyone will ever come near to Lennie and i still believe that overall there is nothing really between him and JS for very different reasons. I also think that football was a lot more competitive in the 80s which made his achievements greater compared to war years when obviously war affected many clubs, fan bases and so on...

Fair enough, Choicey ...... it's all just a matter of opinion anyway.

Jimmy Seed wasn't my era either, but if you read some of the books out there, including Jimmy Seed's own book not unsurprisingly titled, "The Jimmy Seed Story", there's loads of stories, including the time Sir Jim made an offer for Charlton to sign the then best player in the land, Sir Stanley Matthews.

It would be like today Charlton signing Rooney or Ronaldo.

Charlton were just a struggling Dagenham & Redbridge type bottom Division outfit when he took over. What Jimmy Seed achieved with no money, and competing so successfully against the football giants was incredible - and sustained for a whole generation too, not just a handful of years.

Different era, sure ........ but what an achievement against all the odds. The bloke truly is a legend.
  • Options
    Be interesting to just put JS and LL to the Poll out of interest. I supposed i am being a little biased due to it being my childhood and the state the club was in at the time but what you are outlining are obviously also fantastic achievements.

Iv always wondered why Lennie didnt have a stand named after him though especially with the JS recognition in the south and Bartrams statue, Lennie is up there with the greats.
  • Options
    I'll let you into a little secret about Sir Jimmy Seed. No, perhaps not right now .......

;o)
  • Options
    I have a deep man love for curbs and Lennie..... no one else for me has come close... yet.......
  • Options
    All this love for Lennie (which I completely agree with) and the guy didn't so much as a round of a applause at the Valley a couple of weeks ago. Made me very sad that..........

Still comes second to Curbs for me though.
  • Options
    Favourite: Lennie

Best: Seed
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Favourite: Lennie

Best: Seed[/quote]

Thats maybe the best way to put it