Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anti Violence Stance on Saturday/Change of Shirts

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
CHARLTON'S South London derby against Millwall on Saturday will be used to promote an anti-violence message.

The game will be dedicated to the memories of Rob Knox and Jimmy Mizen, two young supporters of the two clubs who were murdered in street violence incidents during 2008.

KRBS and CYC Logistics, the sponsors of Charlton and Millwall respectively, will remove their brands from the front of both teams’ shirts for the fixture, and their logos will be replaced by a powerful, one-off special edition Street Violence Ruins Lives logo.

Before the match, the parents of the two murdered youngsters - Sally and Colin Knox, and Barry and Margaret Mizen - will be introduced to fans, wearing the shirts with the names of their late sons on their backs.

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Friday's South London Press.

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant. We should do things like this more often and it's a credit to the club they're using a local derby to promote a campaign like this. No doubt it will be supported by the Millwall fans when they're tearing up seats from the Jimmy Seed.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the obvious jokes well done Charlton and that other team.

And the two sponsors for giving up the shirt space on such a high profile game. I know their absence will be remarked upon and get them more mentions as above but still well done.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Have you got a link?
  • Options
    Nice touch for the two families and the perfect opportunity to send out a message to supporters in the south stand, not only for saturday but for every game they are involved in...
  • Options
    How long before someone complains that they can't buy the replica shirts.

Would make decent raffle/auction prizes.
  • Options
    i think the mizens are regulars at millwall. god bless to both of the familys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]Nice touch for the two families and the perfect opportunity to send out a message to supporters in the south stand, not only for saturday but for every game they are involved in...

Jimmy Seed Stand. You've been a fan for 29 years and it's been called that for nearly all of that time.
  • Options
    Applause, applause, applause.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    I just think its a bit risky, will this bunch of scum really show respect? I very much doubt it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]I just think its a bit risky, will this bunch of scum really show respect? I very much doubt it!

For one of their own fans? yes, even Millwall fans will do that.

I just hope no one got the Mizzen's tickets for the game in the home areas otherwise they will lose their season tickets : - )
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Have always called it the south for some reason! Changing the subject i remember seeing myself on TV standing behind there before the JSS stand was built, i think it was a Dick Tydeman goal v Hull that won an award that season, that must have been either 79 or 80, nice bukkta shirts with the strip that ran down the arm, always wanted one of those shirts. When i finally found one a few years later it was just way too small, god knows how footballers used to get them over their heads and im not exactly large.

What year was the JSS built, I cant even remember now, was it 80 or 81?

I might be a bit out with that, very vivid memories..was only about 8 or 9
  • Options
    August 81 it was named the Jimmy Seed stand and opened by his grand daughter.

Don't worry, even board members get it wrong but "if you know your history..." and all that.

How would you feel if the West stand was renamed the Lennie Lawrence stand but no one bothered to use the name?
  • Options
    What if The Valley was renamed the KBRS Stadium and nobody used its name...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]What if The Valley was renamed the KBRS Stadium and nobody used its name...

Typical of you WSS, trying to start an argument for no reason ; - )

History v Sponsorship. I know you are a marketer but even you know the difference.
  • Options
    Ok then, Covered End renamed the Alan Curbishley Stand...
  • Options
    I think it's a fantastic gesture from both clubs and their sponsors.
    As the majority of those in the Jimmy Seed have to be Millwall season ticket holders to gain a ticket, I'm assuming they will be more likely to show respect than some of the more flighty supporters who couldn't get a ticket.
    The Spanners problem fans tend to be the ones that only come out for the 'big' games.
    If as predicted, their nutters turn up without tickets, it could be a bit dicey outside but once inside the Valley I'm hoping it won't be too different from any other derby game. In other words, loud fans and the players going at 100mph.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]What if The Valley was renamed the KBRS Stadium and nobody used its name...

Yeay bloody trouble maker
  • Options
    By the way - this is a great gesture and I hope the match, the shirts and the campaign in general gets the coverage and exposure it deserves.

Well done to CAFC and MFC for agreeing on doing it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Yeay bloody trouble maker

Report him to Admin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]August 81 it was named the Jimmy Seed stand and opened by his grand daughter.

Don't worry, even board members get it wrong but "if you know your history..." and all that.

How would you feel if the West stand was renamed the Lennie Lawrence stand but no one bothered to use the name?

I know my history and I call it the South Stand!!!

Back to the main point. It is a great idea as the Knox's are Charlton and the Mizens Millwall. I'd like a bet that BOTH sets of supporters give it the respect it deserves.
  • Options
    I mentioned this somewhere else but do you not think its about time that each stand was named after a legend and how would you allocate them

North - Lennie Lawrence
    West - Alan Curbishley
    East - Derek Hales

what about the quadrants or is that going a bit OTT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]

I know my history and I call it the South Stand!!!

You can call it what you like but its name is the Jimmy Seed stand : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]I mentioned this somewhere else but do you not think its about time that each stand was named after a legend and how would you allocate them

North - Lennie Lawrence
    West - Alan Curbishley
    East - Derek Hales

Not after living people or at least those still in the game.

And what about Sam Bartram?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]I mentioned this somewhere else but do you not think its about time that each stand was named after a legend and how would you allocate them

North - Lennie Lawrence
    West - Alan Curbishley
    East - Derek Hales

Once all the stands are taken what do you do to honour Parky once the takeover goes through and he leads us back to the premiership and then on to sustained european glory ?
  • Options
    Was the East not going to be renamed the Sam Bartram stand not so long ago?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Was the East not going to be renamed the Sam Bartram stand not so long ago?

No, someone was campaigning for that but it never happened partly because people at the club felt it could be sponsored.
  • Options
    "what about the quadrants or is that going a bit OTT "

How about The Tahar El Khalej Quadrant?
  • Options
    "Nice touch for the two families and the perfect opportunity to send out a message to supporters in the south stand, not only for saturday but for every game they are involved in... "

What sort of message might that be Choice?

Excellent gesture by both clubs and sponsors. Hopefully the occasion can wear the sentiment with the respect it deserves.
  • Options
    This is a fantastic gesture by the clubs and sponsors, and great credit to both families who have suffered terrible personal tragedies, yet are prepared to make a public stand in this way.

Whilst the immediate Mizen family are Millwall, I'm aware that there are also Charlton in their extended family - as is the case for many from South East London. I hope all fans on the day will show this the absolute respect it deserves.