Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Now that Reading have sacked their Manager

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
If Reading put in a bid for our Manager and Parky was to leave (personally I hope not) who would you replace Parky with? (although Parky mat turn job down yet)

Comments

• Options
    My Reading supporting workmates reckon that their fans feel the same way about Parkinson, as we do about Kinsella or Chris Powell.
  • Options
    With Parkys record in the Champ for Hull and us, along with the similarity between Readings position this year and ours last year when Parky took charge. I would have thought the people in charge at Reading may think twice about Parky, despite his legendary status there.
  • Options
    http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95156

Don't think Parky will go there. More likely someone like Darren Ferguson or Southgate.
  • Options
    he would go with my wishes not against him but still dont love him and i dont know why, shame really i think mainly because i think i could manage this team and get results
  • Options
    If he was to go, I would hope we would get a nice bit of compensation. As for a new manager: maybe Trollope from Bristol Rovers with Lennie as director of football. Would not really be in favour of Kins, just due to lack of experience and the fact we need promotion so for me experience is key.
    If not, Brian Laws did a great job at Scunny and not a bad one at Wednesday bearing in mind the financial constraints on the club.
    Names I would not want for Charlton:
    Roeder, George Burley, Lawrie Sanchez
  • Options
    they win saturday and the he will be very popular
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]he would go with my wishes not against him but still dont love him and i dont know why, shame really i think mainly because i think i could manage this team and get results

Incredible
  • Options
    Actually Darren Ferguson would be a good punt !!
  • Options
    I reckon Curbishley would do a good job at a club like ours
  • Options
    With Gold and Sullivan as the new owners, Curbs would fit right in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    never look back !! (but say Reading go for Parky), Gold and Sullivan get knoacked back by West Ham... in comes them and Curbs !! (As varney said you would never say never)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]he would go with my wishes not against him but still dont love him and i dont know why, shame really i think mainly because i think i could manage this team and get results

Incredible

Nothing incredible about that sentiment.
    Until he has won something - like promotion - there will be plenty of doubts that still need to be erased following last season and his disaster at Hull.
  • Options
    I made a thread similair to this right around when reading dropped into the bottom 3. I think it's probably 50/50 him leaving or not
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]he would go with my wishes not against him but still dont love him and i dont know why, shame really i think mainly because i think i could manage this team and get results

Incredible

Nothing incredible about that sentiment.
    Until he has won something - like promotion - there will be plenty of doubts that still need to be erased following last season and his disaster at Hull.

AA, are you telling me that there is nothing incredible about suggesting that anyone could have led Charlton to 45 points already this season? He's not talking about PP's long term record like you are.
  • Options
    Think there's more chance of pards going back to the royals then parky. I reckon they will want either a high profile name ala burley or southgate or a steady eddy type curbs would be interested I reckon, doubt they would go for another unknown as brendon didn't work out at all, madjeski is a bit of a lose cannon so god knows, think the reading would love some proper blue and white in charge so upto the chairman I'm sure parky would be interested but I really feel he has a point to prove here that he is the man we have been looking for, would be gutted if he left to be honest he has finally got some pride and balls back to the club, if he did go anyone other tham curbs I would worry.
  • Options
    I think there is a real chance Parky will go which will be catastrophic for us just as we are engineering a fragile recovery from the excesses of Dowie and in particular Pardew.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Think there's more chance of pards going back to the royals then parky. I reckon they will want either a high profile name ala burley or southgate or a steady eddy type curbs would be interested I reckon, doubt they would go for another unknown as brendon didn't work out at all, madjeski is a bit of a lose cannon so god knows, think the reading would love some proper blue and white in charge so upto the chairman I'm sure parky would be interested but I really feel he has a point to prove here that he is the man we have been looking for, would be gutted if he left to be honest he has finally got some pride and balls back to the club, if he did go anyone other tham curbs I would worry.[/quote]

Disagree I dont think theres a chance at all of Pards going back there, he burnt his bridges with both Madeski and the fans when he left them. Think Parky has got more bottle in him and desire to get a job done here to leave.
  • Options
    I don't think he will. He has said many times how he has turned around the players he has now. And I think Parky has a bit more class about him than other managers we've had in our recent past.

As I said earlier Ferguson or maybe Southgate would be the easiest options for them. No compensation to pay.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Si[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]he would go with my wishes not against him but still dont love him and i dont know why, shame really i think mainly because i think i could manage this team and get results[/quote]

Incredible[/quote]

Double incredible that anyone should think that this team can manage itself.
  • Options
    I think the Reading job is a bit like when he took over at The Valley - same type of club, second season out of the Premier League and in a similar league position as we were.

With that in mind, I doubt he'd go. Even to his beloved Reading.

Personally I'd be totally gutted if he did. Think he's been great for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SiSi
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I think the Reading job is a bit like when he took over at The Valley - same type of club, second season out of the Premier League and in a similar league position as we were.

With that in mind, I doubt he'd go. Even to his beloved Reading.

Personally I'd be totally gutted if he did. Think he's been great for us.

Agree with all of this. PP doesn't seem like the man to leave a job half done, no matter who came calling. And I too would be totally gutted if he did.
  • Options
    disagree NLA.

Yes its a strong squad but PP added the defence and has given it its confidence. Hes also got rid of some rubbish and got some underperformers to play better.
  • Options
    PP did leave Colchester after he had taken them from League 1 to the Champ. He left for Hull (a bigger club in the same league), so I am not sure about the 'job half done' argument that he will want to see it out and try and get us up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]PP did leave Colchester after he had taken them from League 1 to the Champ. He left for Hull (a bigger club in the same league), so I am not sure about the 'job half done' argument that he will want to see it out and try and get us up.

Think you've answered it yourself there! He only left Colchester after leading them to promotion. Job done. At the moment, he is half-way through a potential promotion season.
  • Options
    has'nt parky just signed a new extn to his contract ? I got the impression he really apriciates RM and at the bromley meeting he said he had previously been approached by Derby and Ipswich amoungst others But RM asked him to stay .

Why would he leave at this point?
  • Options
    I'd like to think he had a bit more class than that but nothing surprises me in football anymore. That being said, after RM and ourselves to a certain degree have placed a lot of faith in Parky this season and I hope he repays that faith and stays at The Valley.

Don't discount the pull of him being regarded as a legend but he has a chance to rebuild his reputation here, for this season at least, where as if he goes to Reading and keeps them up then it is expected and nothing is enhanced, if they go down he has gone back another 18 months in his managerial career.

I'm confident he'll stay.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2009
    Current odds below from their hobnobs site (no mention of Parky), but they look like they have appointed their reserve manager 'forthwith' much like we did with Parky last year.

Ferguson, D 8/1
    Quinn, J 14/1
    Newell, M 20/1
    Sanchez, L 8/1
    Wise, D 14/1
    Hoddle, G 20/1
    Burley, G 8/1
    Jewell, P 14/1
    Adams, T 25/1
    Cotterill, S 10/1
    Davey, S 16/1
    Rosenior, L 25/1
    Southgate, G 10/1
    Clark, L 20/1
    O'Leary, D 33/1
    Curbishley, A 12/1
    Taylor, P 20/1
    Roeder, G 33/1
    Coppell S 12/1
    McAllister, G 20/1
    Gregory, J 33/1
    O'Driscoll, S 12/1
    Dowie, I 20/1
    Nicol, S 40/1
    Hart, P 12/1
    Pardew, A 20/1
    Reid, P 50/1
  • Options
    had a punt on norwich to be champions today.
  • Options
    i will keep my other punt private,lets just say i want so much to lose it.
  • Options
    you backed millwall.