Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mooney....

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
David Mooney left the Valley just after 6pm on crutches with his foot in plaster.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't look good, but crutches and plaster maybe precautionary. Probably start with Akpoe next week.
  • Options
    I didn't like the way he took off his shirt and threw it to the ground. Was he being disrespectful or was he just disappointed about picking up the injury?
  • Options
    Before anyone says im slagging him off im not but when he went off down the tunnel he didnt achnowlege the fans who clapped him off. But today didnt think he was at his best , but got into the positions and is still dangerous hence the 2 penalties.
  • Options
    prob gutted he was injured
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Before anyone says im slagging him off im not but when he went off down the tunnel he didnt achnowlege the fans who clapped him off. But today didnt think he was at his best , but got into the positions and is still dangerous hence the 2 penalties.

Were you at a different game. I thought he was brilliant today, he was pushing defenders, challenging everything, made some excellent runs. With Burton up top they look like a formidable partnership! Hope the crutches are only a precaution as Kap said!
  • Options
    he was not brillant mate,tried and ran for balls but not brillant
  • Options
    Maybe brilliant is overstating it a little bit, but he certainly made an impression on me!
  • Options
    i like him mate,hope he gets back soon.
  • Options
    "Were you at a different game. I thought he was brilliant today, he was pushing defenders, challenging everything, made some excellent runs. With Burton up top they look like a formidable partnership! Hope the crutches are only a precaution as Kap said!"
    He did try with his runs like he normially does but i just felt that it wasnt working out for him , however like i said before he was always a danger.
    He is also a very clever player who thinks about his runs.
    As you said it may be precautionary but he looked in pain as walked down the tunnel
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]"Were you at a different game. I thought he was brilliant today, he was pushing defenders, challenging everything, made some excellent runs. With Burton up top they look like a formidable partnership! Hope the crutches are only a precaution as Kap said!"
    He did try with his runs like he normially does but i just felt that it wasnt working out for him , however like i said before he was always a danger.
    He is also a very clever player who thinks about his runs.
    As you said it may be precautionary but he looked in pain as walked down the tunnel

Thought he was ok today. Knocked off the ball a little too easily for my liking. If he is injured it gives someone else a chance. Personally thought Leon looked sharp when he came on. For me, the jury really is out on Akpo. His tocuh doesn't look great and he appears to have the proverbial "swinger" of a left foot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Jolly, thought Mooney was excellent today. He has his flaws, but his work rate is excellent and his movement is intelligent. Touch isn't bad either. Effectively 3 assists today, brought down for the first pen, persitence and shot led to second and it was his knock down for Bailey's volley. Him and Burton seem to be on each other's wavelength too and had he still been on the pitch he'd have made a much better fist of Akpodje's three errors (the shanked shot, the crap first touch when clean through and the bobbled ball that would have put Burton clean in). Not sure he's the most clinical finisher in the world but he leads the line well and makes things happen. I like him and it'll be a blow if he's badly injured.

Mckenzie looked lively again in his little cameo, lets hope we've finally got him fit.
  • Options
    Thought Mooney was pretty good today. We got that second penalty because of his hard work.
    When he went off, it looked as if he wanted to give it a go for a few minutes, see if he could run it off but Parky said no.
  • Options
    my take on it was that he was gutted coz of injury
  • Options
    Appearances vs goals ratio isn't special, showed insolence today (according to SE7) and annoyed me at Brighton for kicking the ball away and then giving the ref dissent for ushering him off when substituted.....

See ya. I'll have McKenzie or JJ back. (Asbo Sodje looked poor today).
  • Options
    I dont know why he did it, but if throws a charlton shirt on the deck like that again hecan fu"k off back
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I dont know why he did it, but if throws a charlton shirt on the deck like that again hecan fu"k off back

Probably as the shirts are being auctioned for charity he was leaving it with the kit man. But let's condemn him without having a clue what the two said.

Even if he was in a strop I'd much rather a player that was frustrated at being subbed, despite being injured. We're always whining about loan players not caring, when one does we want him to "fk off back". Hard to keep everyone happy.
  • Options
    showed passion ,angry he came off perhaps . at least he was not one of the cowards on the pitch yesterday,much respect to the man.
  • Options
    He was good yesterday but not his best (but the team were not at their best), I like him. Its been mentioned before about his intelligent play, made some good runs yesterday which were better than some of the players around him, as the squad progresses and hopefully the club with new players this will show.
  • Options
    I thought he was poor yesterday and yet he was instrumental in both penalties, so maybe I was not looking at his runs and I should have an argument with myself!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thought he was poor yesterday and yet he was instrumental in both penalties, so maybe I was not looking at his runs and I should have an argument with myself!!!!

Yeah he was crap - can't believe he only set up 3 goals.

Brought down for the 1st penalty.

Chased the keeper to get the ball & then his shot hits post, before Sam is fouled for 2nd penalty.

3rd goal was a superb cushioned header to Bailey that he volleyed in.

Not good enough - I expect you to set up a minimum 4 goals in future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Before anyone says im slagging him off im not but when he went off down the tunnel he didnt achnowlege the fans who clapped him off. But today didnt think he was at his best , but got into the positions and is still dangerous hence the 2 penalties.

Three assists without much service and without which we'd have lost.

So he went off potentially badly injured and didn't stop to acknowledge the fans, can't think why he'd do that, it wasn't as though he was in agony after all...
  • Options
    He did well with some poor service. The problem wasn't the strikers yesterday but that two of our back four had mares and two of our midfield went missing.
  • Options
    Really rate Mooney yesterday, great workrate and deserved a goal for all those he laid on. Though him, Semedo and Burton were top of my player ratings.

As for the shirt, didn't look that great but was hardly an attempt to disrespect the club, just pure frustration and shows you how much he cares (possibly now shitting himself that an injury now and we won't take him on permanently). Footballers are humans too (sometimes!).
  • Options
    Mooney's main problem is that he's a bit lightweight and can get barged off the ball a bit too easily, but he makes great runs off the ball and pulls the defence about all over the place. If he can improve his strength a bit, I'd love to see him stay on.
  • Options
    Mooney and Burton imo are forming a really good partnership. Ok they have flaws but what league are we in? Mooney can frustrate as he can be knocked off the ball but he works his socks off and for someone to have an "average" game and still play a crucial role in 3 goals is very impressive. I really hope the crutches were just precautionary and he is back next week!
  • Options
    By the sounds of it on the radio he was isolated and not having his best game. Having said that what does Bradley Allen know? For a little striker not to realise that a deep ineffective midfield renders a forward's job almost impossible is well..... Compare what Mooney does with a deep lying midfield and what Gray did last season. OK so we may be against lesser teams but Mooney is constantly getting chances, dropping off waiting for secondary balls, looking for knock backs, keeping himself in space if he finds it which allows him to take the initiative on mistakes. Gray needed the perfect ball or a penalty, which with a deep lying midfield barely ever happens unless Sam wandered into a lucky breakdown.

One thing he doesn't have in his game is pace, power and physicality. But he does chase down and his positioning links to even a lethargic midfield. I can see both sides of the arguement as with our talented but non-comabtive midfield we need pace/physicality somewhere and Leon or Akpo help a little there. Having said that Mooney is the one player in recent years coming to the Valley I'd bust a gut to get. If we had a midfielder like Gary Mcsheffrey in the champ he'd score for fun; on an older lament if Mooney played in a team with Newton and Robinson the guy would be beyond prolific.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]One thing he doesn't have in his game is pace, power and physicality. But he does chase down and his positioning links to even a lethargic midfield. I can see both sides of the arguement as with our talented but non-comabtive midfield we need pace/physicality somewhere and Leon or Akpo help a little there.
    Pardew kind of had the right idea, he tried to get a mixture of strikers in when we came down in 06/07. Unfortunately some weren't the right players and he made too many mistakes with the rest of the team. With Mooney and Sodje on loan, McKenzie available again, we now have that mix. They're all different types of strikers, they give us options, something we needed a few months ago when we weren't winning many games.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thought he was poor yesterday and yet he was instrumental in both penalties, so maybe I was not looking at his runs and I should have an argument with myself!!!![/quote]

Yeah he was crap - can't believe he only set up 3 goals.

Brought down for the 1st penalty.

Chased the keeper to get the ball & then his shot hits post, before Sam is fouled for 2nd penalty.

3rd goal was a superb cushioned header to Bailey that he volleyed in.

Not good enough - I expect you to set up a minimum 4 goals in future.[/quote]

I think if you read my comment carefully, you might just get I was questioning my own judgement!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]One thing he doesn't have in his game is pace, power and physicality.But he does chase down and his positioning links to even a lethargic midfield. I can see both sides of the arguement as with our talented but non-comabtive midfield we needpace/physicality somewhere and Leon or Akpo help a little there.
    Pardew kind of had the right idea, he tried to get a mixture of strikers in when we came down in 06/07. Unfortunately some weren't the right players and he made too many mistakes with the rest of the team. With Mooney and Sodje on loan, McKenzie available again, we now have that mix. They're all different types of strikers, they give us options, something we needed a few months ago when we weren't winning many games.

He's not super fast in the way Mcleod is, but what I would say is he's quick enough to worry defenders with his work rate, i.e. he's quick enough to be able to close down with sufficient urgency that defenders will panic a bit, especially some of the cloggers we come up against in this division. He can also get in behind teams and finds space well. I've seen Akpodje 3 times so far and despite his size he doesn't seem to win a great deal in the air and looks like he could'nt trap a bag of cement with an Acme Cement Bag Trapper - he basically looks like a taller version of Mcleod minus the attitude. Not that I'm getting on Akopdje's back - I'll give him more time to win me over yet but if we can only afford to keep one I'd be voting for Mooney everytime right now.
  • Options
    Agree with that, Mooney isn't slow, has a bit of pace but yeah nothing like McLeod.

Akpo I agree he doesn't look particularly good in the air, doesn't have a good touch, but he has worked hard, got a couple of goals and gives us some strength up front. Not played enough to really judge, but I've got the feeling he's a little more intelligent and all round than McLeod. Enough to make a bit of difference in this league anyway. You'll never see McLeod score a goal like Akpo did at Yeovil either.