Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good news for the detractors of Lloyd Sam

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Yesterday was his fifth booking, therefore he must be banned for next week

Comments

• Options
    Interesting to see what happens here.

Wagstaff to start on the right i suppose, but then who to play on the left?

Shelvey, Racon, Basey, Bailey moved back out wide?

If Racon doesnt return i feel that means he's out the door in jan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]Interesting to see what happens here.

Wagstaff to start on the right i suppose, but then who to play on the left?

McKenzie?
  • Options
    I would like to see Mckenzie on the left. Mind you Basey is putting excellent balls into the box at this level, his lack of pace isn't a huge worry at this level. Just we have no other lfb!

Mckenzie harries and hustles, plus looks good on the ball. Wouldn't be too bad a shout.
  • Options
    sam will back on form when a nice comfy home game is about,just keep him out of derby games where it was evident yesterday that he is a complete bottle job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]sam will back on form when a nice comfy home game is about,just keep him out of derby games where it was evident yesterday that he is a complete bottle job.
    Overreaction. How can he do anything going forward when he doesn't given the ball, the team play defensively, and the defenders look to clear it or hoof it to Burton and Mooney?
  • Options
    keep him out of games like this,its not in hes makeup to stand up and be counted,they got at him and he folded,knew he would .
  • Options
    Did he? Didn't have a great game but was involved in two of our goals and helped out the right back as usual. I know what you mean, he's not the player I can imagine standing out in games like this, but he was far from terrible and didn't handle it that badly. Certainly no worse than Basey or Wagstaff, maybe even Dailly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]How can he do anything going forward when he doesn't given the ball

should be a responsibility to get yourself involved
  • Options
    dont start to wispy lightweight wingers in a derby
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]How can he do anything going forward when he doesn't given the ball

should be a responsibility to get yourself involved
    Partly yes, but when Sodje is smashing the ball up the pitch, or the ball is down the left, it's not Sam's fault is it?
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]dont start to wispy lightweight wingers in a derby
    And play who on the right and left instead? Racon doesn't want to play out wide remember, and he's hardly a big improvement when it comes to strength/aggression than Sam. Shelvey possibly, but that would still leave Sam or Wagstaff in the team. Wouldn't want to see Spring out wide myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    once Sam was booked yesterday he couldn't make a tackle, he got a final warning with the high feet infront of the Jimmy Seed, and then he couldn't really go getting the ball, as one mistimed tackle and I swear that ref would have had no problem leveling things up
  • Options
    look you could be right,but i juswt dont like him i think he is a bottle job,i wanted to be wrong yesterday about him and see him doing them on the wing instead he hid and lost the ball,the guy is a waste of a charlton shirt and whats with the gormless smile?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]If Racon doesnt return i feel that means he's out the door in jan.
    I think that's a given anyway, sadly.
  • Options
    I cant believe ppl reckon he's a bottle job from yest, got a yellow card from nothing really early on then ref basically told him you touch another player and your off, this season has shown he's not a bottle job
  • Options
    Waggy for right wing, Luke Holden wide left????
  • Options
    no scruffle that shows what he is about,if he had got about hes job on the wing,went in hard in tackles that what we want,a silly tackle just somes him up,he was got at and by the second half was in hiding.
  • Options
    Millwall offered little down their left and that is because Omo had a good game and was given good protection by Sam who worked hard to track back at all times. He didn't influence things as often in the attacking third as we'd like but put in a great cross to set up Bailey's goal and won the second penalty by being in the right place at the right time and as others have said, winger is the hardest position to go and impose yourself on the game if the ball isn't coming your way very much. He could go looking for it, but he has a tactical reposibility to stay close to the right hand side. Calling him a bottle job is massively unfair. As for moaning about him smiling, what the f**k is wrong with being nice?

Really cannot see what people have against Sam, he's not Nicky Bailey but he's nowhere near the Romedahl and Ambrose league of lightweight kings plus he's a Charlton graduate, he's pretty hardworking for a winger and has been the difference in several games this season. Far rather have him the side than Wagstaff who who runs his socks off but does it without any thought.

I would hope we'll cope okay without him for the one match, but if he gets injured or sold in Jan then I think we'll really miss him.
  • Options
    i find it very strange that there seem to be so many people on sam's back so quickly and frequently. he has been one of our best players this season, has had some really exceptional games and, as others have already said, he was by no means a disgrace yesterday - wagstaff is nowhere, nowhere near as good as sam and played a major part in two of the conceded goals yesterday. although sam has had a couple of off games and wasnt great yesterday he is one of our most threatening players and has scored and created many goals this season
  • Options
    definitely one of our better players and would be sorely missed .... maybe people would look more kindly on him and forgive all his errors if he came out and said he's always supported charlton
  • Options
    like i say he will be ok unless its a big game like that,you think he will shine in march at the den? lots of people like him,i just dont.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam for me is one of our most important players. He has the ability to be devastating at this level.

I must confess to viewing him a bit like Nolly does a couple of seasons back. I thought he had the Jerome Thomas "attitude" with a fraction of the talent. However since Parky came in he has got his head down and has become that comparitive rarity. A skilful player who works hard.

The poxy weather meant I missed the match yesterday so I cannot comment on whether the criticism of him yesterday is justified. However I've seen every other home fixture plus Gillingham away and for me he is well in credit even if it is true that he had a 'mare yesterday.

I'm more concerned about the poor reports I've read about Dailly on here. He has been our most consistent player for me so I do hope age has not suddenly caught up with him as he is sorely needed.
  • Options
    dailly was piss poor len like 8 of the team was,even elliot should have saved the last.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]dailly was piss poor len like 8 of the team was,even elliot should have saved the last.

Yes on the highlights it looked like Robbie got done on his near post for the 4th which shouldn't happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]you think he will shine in march at the den?

Tell you what Nolly, he might surprise you. The way you feel about Sam, I used to feel about Mortimer, broke my heart he did, but when I was already in Prague he apparently saved his finest ever performance for the Den. They have something in common, something dumb in their brains that stops them using their talent at Premiership level. Neither of them would notice that they are playing Millwall, for better or for worse. Before the game someone told me that jJackett had a masterplan for the game. I think I know what it was. That annoying little toerag who plays LB for them was told to wind up Sam. Worked a treat, Sam got booked right in front of me. Which then makes me ask, why didnt Parky sub him at half time. I'm a Parky convert, but I thought Jackett outsmarted him yesterday.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]look you could be right,but i juswt dont like him i think he is a bottle job,i wanted to be wrong yesterday about him and see him doing them on the wing instead he hid and lost the ball,the guy is a waste of a charlton shirt and whats with the gormless smile?
    Sam has gone in hard when needed. Never going to it consistently well, but what proper winger does? Wagstaff is no better in that area, Rommedahl, Ambrose (ok not really a winger), Thomas and Bouazza were all even worse than Sam is. For an attacking winger at League One level, Sam does a good job defensively and there are far worse players when it comes to getting stuck in than him. I've seen him go into tackles the players I mentioned above wouldn't, and fairly hard at times, and I doubt any of them, perhaps Ambrose, could have scored either of the headers he did away to Tranmere.

Fair enough he got a silly yellow card, but he'd be critisized a lot more if after getting that he dived into another tackle, got it wrong and got sent off.

And what Exiled and paulsturgess said, Sam is a much better all round player than Wagstaff. For all his faults he's one of the best wingers in the league, skill, pace, creates chances, scores the odd goal and works fairly hard.

We'd miss him if he went in January as it's much harder to find good players cheaply halfway through the season.

I was never a huge fan of him, but at this level I rate him and can see what he offers. He is one of our better and most important players this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I was never a huge fan of him, but at this level I rate him and can see what he offers. He is one of our better and most important players this season.

Despite my earlier post, I agree, this is a good, balanced assessment of him.
  • Options
    He's a frustrating player is Lloyd. He tracks back brilliantly for a winger and with a full back like Omozusi that is crucial, I'm worried how he looks utterly shagged out about an hour into every game but the mileage he clocks up probably contributes to this.

But if he is fit he must play, he is a good width player and has really tormented sides this season.

Jerome Thomas is a tool, allbeit a talented one, I think Sam has a decent attitude whereby Thomas from first hand description, was an arse.
  • Options
    Hope Prague is right, but i'm on the Nolly angle on this.

I don't see the point about he was on a booking, i don't want Sam flying into tackles. I want him getting the ball and being so busy with it we think he is on drugs. I want every time he gets the ball he has the intention of either beating the left back, or the left back bringing him down. I saw him playing in the zone yesterday, and coupled with the fact Wagstaff on the other wing seemed a bit overawed, i think hurt our shape.

Sam should be a key performer in these games. Yesterday he wasn't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Hope Prague is right, but i'm on the Nolly angle on this.

I don't see the point about he was on a booking, i don't want Sam flying into tackles. I want him getting the ball and being so busy with it we think he is on drugs. I want every time he gets the ball he has the intention of either beating the left back, or the left back bringing him down. I saw him playing in the zone yesterday, and coupled with the fact Wagstaff on the other wing seemed a bit overawed, i think hurt our shape.

Sam should be a key performer in these games. Yesterday he wasn't.

Fair comment
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    Fair comment

I know !!