Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Player ratings

Comments

• Options
    Elliot - 5 - for once not rock solid. You'd struggle to think of a stop he made that you'd not expect any old keeper to stop.
    Omozusi - 6 continuing to improve and overlapped well with Sam, but still prone to some catastrophic stuff
    Dailly - 6 generally looked as cool and collected as ever.
    S Sodje - 5.5 a real mixed bag. Mostly excellent, but was poor for the first and last goals.
    Basey - 5.5 was one of our better performers, but really weak for the final goal.
    Sam - 5 one of his poorer games but some great work on the run-up to the third goal
    Bailey - 7 superb goal and busy performance. Marred by some uncharacteristic slack passing.
    Semedo - 7 busy, solid, not a lot going forward. Very Semedo like performance.
    Wagstaff - 5 didn't offer too much going forward and was weak for the first and third goals
    Burton - 6 not a great performance, although he can definitely take a pen!
    Mooney - 6 continues to go to ground very easily, but looks a smart player and capable of breaking
    A Sodje - 5 strong and quick, but blew a couple of chances. Should have maybe had a penalty (or a booking)

Parky 5 - Again the team seemed to sit back, surrendering dominance, and invite an equaliser, not once or twice. I suppose credit has to be given for the team getting back into the game but we had a better team and more players. Hopefully we'll learn one day that when you're dominating a game you're better off going for the throat, rather than backing off
  • Options
    Elliot - 6, not helped by some weak defending and a bit unlucky that a couple of the goals fell kindly to opponents after initial saves.
    Omozusi - 7, ok game looked a bit jittery, should have cleared the lines for the second goal, otherwise ok.
    Dailly - 6, without much defensive cover from midfield a few weaknesses became apparent, particularly when run at.
    S Sodje - 6, a typical Sodje game, got involved, but made a few errors, notably not covering Morison for the first goal.
    Basey - 6, under pressure, dwelt a bit too long on the ball, needed to be a bit more decisive.
    Sam - 6, great cross for Bailey's goal, but not helped by Omozusi not getting forward that much, but he should have tracked back or gone looking for the ball a bit more.
    Bailey - 7, always positive, ran and tackled, but a bit outnumbered in midfield.
    Semedo - 7, as for Bailey, needed Sam/Wagstaff to help a bit more.
    Wagstaff -5, poor game after several good matches, looked too lightweight and lost on the pitch.
    Burton - 6, two well taken pens but
    Mooney - 7, contributed three assists and his clever play kept us in it, but didn't seem to see a lot of possession, although when he did have the ball he knew what to do with it.
    A Sodje - 6, ran and showed some glimpses of what he was capable of, but as with Burton/Mooney needed to see a bit more of the ball.

Parky - should have subbed Wagstaff earlier than he did as it was clear that he was being out fought on the pitch and that allowed Millwall to dominate the midfield, especially as Sam wasn't doing a lot on the other flank. Presumably Sam was under orders to stay wide but he should have been brought inside and given orders to track back a bit more. Not his most tactically astute match.
  • Options
    Elliot - 6 - one of many at fault for the last goal
    Omozusi - 7 - better, worked very well for the 3rd goal with Sam
    Dailly - 5 - Poor - have to blame him for the last goal
    S Sodje - 6.5
    Basey - 6 Poor - have to blame him for the last goal, but did create our 4th from the corner
    Sam - 6.5 Linking up well with Omozusi
    Bailey - 8 Great player who you can always rely on
    Semedo - 7.5 - Was never a free kick for their last goal. Dread to think where we'd be without him and Bailey in the middle.
    Wagstaff - 4 _ very very poor, 2 of the goals were his fault, especially the 1st
    Burton - 6.5
    Mooney - 6
    A Sodje - 6

Referee - -1
  • Options
    If I can't be at a match, I'm always very interested to read the player ratings, especially those with some reasoned comment of the player.

Now I understand the Millwall match was one where we snatched a draw from the jaws of victory - although it has to be said we also recovered a 0-2 deficit to be leading 3-2. Very little credit has been given or even mentioned about that!

So of course we're all gutted we didn't close the game out.

Maybe some performances from some players were not as effective as expected but ....... reading through this thread, some posters give consistant and sensible markings .... and others give wildly irrational stuff like 4 out of 10 for players who created a major part or assists for 3 of our goals - how does that work?

It just doesn't make sense too me - especially compared to other posters who watched the same game, who've posted alongside more thoughtful and reasonable ratings..
  • Options
    Now I understand the Millwall match was one where we snatched a draw from the jaws of victory - although it has to be said we also recovered a 0-2 deficit to be leading 3-2. Very little credit has been given or even mentioned about that!

Both teams threw away leads - Millwall should be disappointed that they chucked away a 2-0 lead, especially as the first pen was our first shot on goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If I can't be at a match, I'm always very interested to read the player ratings, especially those with some reasoned comment of the player.

Maybe some performances from some players were not as effective as expected but ....... reading through this thread, some posters give consistant and sensible markings .... and others give wildly irrational stuff like 4 out of 10 for players who created a major part or assists for 3 of our goals - how does that work?

It just doesn't make sense too me - especially compared to other posters who watched the same game, who've posted alongside more thoughtful and reasonable ratings..

fair point oggy, but u wasnt there so cant really post that on this thread when you dont really know and although some of the marking is ridiculous its is ppls perspective so still will be honest. u can post something like how did so and so warrant that mark, but dont think u can say ridiculous from what you have heard on the radio or from other ppl

I still dont get some of burton's marks though ppl enlighten me..... yes he is a quality penalty taker clearly but dont think his performance warranted the 8 most on here have given!!
  • Options
    Hi Johnny Bev, I was drawing attention to the fact that people actually at the game giving player ratings, fell into 2 groups:

One group marking players sensibly, based on perhaps a good knowledge of the game.

And others who were wildly irrational in their ratings - were they rating players based on their emotional reaction to the result, rather than the actual performance of each player?

They were all watching the same game.

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If I can't be at a match, I'm always very interested to read the player ratings, especially those with some reasoned comment of the player.

You have a point. On reflection I think I was too harsh on Sam. I was just disappointed that he was not on the ball and as threatening with his runs as he normally is and forgot about the fact that he actually had a major part to play in at least 2 of our goals.

On a similar point I am amazed at the high marks that Burton always gets. On Saturday he was completely ineffective in open play yet again. But it is all about opinion and obviously I am missing something about what Burton contributes that everyone else can see.
  • Options
    Elliot - 5
    Omozusi - 5
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 6
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 6
    Semedo - 6
    Wagstaff - 5
    Burton - 6
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 6
  • Options
    On a similar point I am amazed at the high marks that Burton always gets. On Saturday he was completely ineffective in open play yet again. But it is all about opinion and obviously I am missing something about what Burton contributes that everyone else can see.

He took both pens well, could have had a third - with some suggestion that a shot crossed the line but other than that didn't see much possession. I think there is an emotional element to some marks that player's receive, Burton although he's been at the club for a year seems to be very much a Charlton player, he runs and plays for the team and his hold up play is unselfish and not always appreciated. Given that I'm always prepared to be a bit lenient because I appreciate what he's trying to do, but it doesn't always come off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would agree with that BFR and Burton would have twice been clean through on goal if the ref hadn't called a quick free kick back (ball may have been rolling in which case there can be little complaint) and if Akpodje hadn't made a right mess of that sqaure pass.

I actually don't think Burton had is finest game, but he was still above average imo. He's right up there for player of the season at the moment, for me, for the following reasons:

1) Seems to have worked hard on his fitness over the summer and it shows in the ground he's covering week in week out.
    2) His hold up play is at times superb - despite giving up a significant physical advantage to most centre backs, if a ball is played into him at chest height or below, then nine times out of ten it sticks partly due to his good technique and partly due a large dollop of nouse that allows him to know where to poistion his body in relation to his marker so as to shield the ball well - compare that with our other recent 'Target Man' Andy Gray, who would consistently lose the ball despite seeming to have it under control.
    3) Once he has the ball his use of it is often very clever, with smart little flicks and reverse passes. If it's not always clever, it is consistently accurate and he doesn't surrender possesion easliy.
    4) Despite his size he wins lots of headers he has no right to get near. This is thanks to him being able to judge his leaps well and often is making a running jump, rather than waiting flat footed for the ball to arrive (rather like Bartlett used to do). To consistently be able to judge the flight of a 60-80 yard pass and time your run and jump to meet it perfectly is no mean skill. Rather like his hold up play, there is also usually a purpose to the flicks - they're aimed at someone rather than just helping the ball on and hoping someone is behind him.
    5) He's playing on through injury - I've heard many call Deon lazy, which I think is absolute cobblers anyway, but this shows there is far more commitment to the cause than many give credit for.
    6) His goal return. For me, he does enough to justify his place anyway, but he's our top scorer and in the top 5 for the division which frankly makes him an automatic pick right now.

As for Oggy's point about somke of the more extreme marks flying around, I don't think this was game where you could give the whole team collective high or low marks. A couple of players had good games and a couple had poor ones but most were about average or a bit below - i.e. not quite good enough to win in the face of determined opposition in a local Derby. I don't really have any complaints about work rate or commitment from anyone, just about some of the decision making. I definitely think the reaction would be a little more tempered if this hadn't been against Millwall.
  • Options
    Elliot - 5
    Omozusi - 6.5
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 6
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 8
    Semedo - 6
    Wagstaff - 5
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 6.5
    A Sodje - 5.5
  • Options
    Burton is on 12 goals for the season - roughly one every two games and that is in addition to his hold up play and the rest of his game which as Exiled points out is commendable in itself. If he stays fit and his hernia doesn't play up then he'll see us promoted.

He's been the best striker at the club since Darren Bent left and what is worth remembering is that he was a free transfer and a replacement for Luke Varney who had to be shipped out to pay off Pardew, what didn't look a great bit of business at the time now looks very astute. Ironically Varney seems to have taken Burton's place on the subs bench for SW.
  • Options
    I agree with the above points, and I gave Burton 8 in this game because of a) the critical importance of the 2 penalties - he kept a very cool head and b) his tireless efforts to pick the team up, eg Scotty Wagstaff. When Scotty's error led to a goal, Burton went straight to him to console and gee him on. Invaluable IMO.
  • Options
    @ Oggy, I think there's two things at play. A mark out of 10 is subjective unlike something like a metre one person might have a very different view of what constitutes a 8. Also football's a complicated game to watch. Some people might not be aware of what a player is doing when he's running off the ball, or hitting a pass into space - or they might just be focusing on a different bit of the pitch - particularly if you're behind the goals and the action's at the other end.

It's not just us - if you look at the "pros" you'll see the same: the scores in the Sun are going to differ wildly from the scores in a newspaper and so on.

That's why I try to say a bit about what I saw from the player, so at least there's a rationale to the rating...
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 7.5
    Dailly - 6.5
    S Sodje - 7
    Basey - 6.5
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 7.5
    Semedo - 8
    Wagstaff - 6.5
    Burton - 7.5
    Mooney - 6
    A Sodje - 6
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]@ Oggy

This aint twitter ;o)
  • Options
    Sorry oggy, as i said you did make good points. but also wanted to point out if you wasnt at the game, they are not as valid. sounds a bit cruel but thats just my opinion

In relation to Burton i think he has been one of our best players this season, just to me seemed like he was more noticed then mooney who i thought had a good game and omozuzi aswell(usually im his harshest critic)

Still addicted, im glad u justify yourself as back up. but i cant be bothered to do that personally, from my point of view i always try to mark fair regardless of my feelings towards a player(sounds a bit gay lol). but i dont get how others tend to hold it against players or they think the sun shines out of anothers's but each to their own
  • Options
    Elliot - 5 (wondering if he might have saved at least one of the last two goals)
    Omozusi - 6.5 (Did fine. Up for a tackle)
    Dailly - 5 (nowhere near his best but entitled to a bad game ever now and then)
    S Sodje - 6 (Did ok).
    Basey - 6 (Mxed bag. Played ok for most part and his cross for Burton's chance was absolutely superb...bent round like Beckham. But struggled late on )
    Sam - 5.5 (still worth a place because he does create chances but not his best game and didn't get a lot of service
    Bailey - 6.5 (Brilliant goal but struggled to get a foothold in midfield. Defended well)
    Semedo - 5.5 (Along with Bailey outgunned in midfield and not enough tackles)
    Wagstaff - 5 (tried so hard but not man enough yet)
    Burton 8 - (His missed chance turned game but otherwise excellent)
    Mooney - 7 (Lively)
    A Sodje - 5.5 (Looked great at Yeovil...looked anything but since. Did have one half decent effort.)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Sorry oggy, as i said you did make good points. but also wanted to point out if you wasnt at the game, they are not as valid. sounds a bit cruel but thats just my opinion

But Johnny Bev, I made it clear that I wasn't at the game, neither was I rating players.

I was drawing attention to the fact that people actually at the game giving player ratings fell into 2 different categories - those who were giving ratings on how they saw how players actually performed.

And another group who appeared to rate a player based on their emotional reaction to the result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elliot - 5.5
    Omozusi - 7
    Dailly - 6
    S Sodje - 6
    Basey - 6.5
    Sam - 5
    Bailey - 7.5
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 6.5
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 6
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Sorry oggy, as i said you did make good points. but also wanted to point out if you wasnt at the game, they are not as valid. sounds a bit cruel but thats just my opinion

But Johnny Bev, I made it clear that I wasn't at the game, neither was I rating players.

I was drawing attention to the fact that peopleactually at the gamegiving player ratings fell into 2 different categories - those who were giving ratings on how they saw how playersactuallyperformed.

And another group who appeared to rate a player based on their emotional reaction to the result.

But how can you infer that from a bunch of numbers?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]@ Oggy, I think there's two things at play. A mark out of 10 is subjective unlike something like a metre one person might have a very different view of what constitutes a 8. Also football's a complicated game to watch. Some people might not be aware of what a player is doing when he's running off the ball, or hitting a pass into space - or they might just be focusing on a different bit of the pitch - particularly if you're behind the goals and the action's at the other end.

It's not just us - if you look at the "pros" you'll see the same: the scores in the Sun are going to differ wildly from the scores in a newspaper and so on.

That's why I try to say a bit about what I saw from the player, so at least there's a rationale to the rating...

Agreed it's all subjective, McLovin ...... and each spectator is always going to see/remember some things differently from another fan, or even just a different perspective.

And like some players can "read" a game well, and other players don't seem to have the same understanding ..... I guess in the same way, some fans understand the concept of team play and can "read" the shape and movement of the team and what a player contributes off the ball, compared to others who follow the ball - and believe only what a player does with the ball is of any relevance.

I always appreciate posters who give their reasoning behind their markings, it gives a more rounded picture of performance - thanks to you and others who do that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

I was drawing attention to the fact that peopleactually at the gamegiving player ratings fell into 2 different categories - those who were giving ratings on how they saw how playersactuallyperformed.

But isn't that the whole point of the player ratings thread ......... to see how players have performed over the entire season?
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 5
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 6
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 4
    Bailey - 5
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 3
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 6
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

But isn't that the whole point of the player ratings thread ......... to see how players have performed over the entire season?

I meant how can you tell whether someone is basing their ratings on an emotional reaction, rather than how the players actually performed?
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 7
    Dailly - 6
    S Sodje - 7
    Basey - 4
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 6
    Semedo - 8
    Wagstaff - 4
    Burton - 6
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 5
  • Options

as i have said im agrree-ing with you here, so there is no need to defend yourself mate. just making the point really that others like me may think whys he put that when not actually at the game, it doesnt matter too much to me as everyone is welcome to their input just think you really dont know on this occasion that scoring is erratic(dont think this makes sense!)

although i do agree as for example ppl are still scoring burton quite high without justifying it as such

as for ppl who write down why they gave them this mark it does make more sense, but again i cant always remember and i think my ratings are quite genuine so i dont have to justify them, just a waste of time really as main thing for this thread is getting everyones ratings not a review!

also is it me or has groucho not had an input on this?? lol its only fair Groucho give us an indpendant view it would be quite interesting i think :-)
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 6.5
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 7
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 5
    Bailey - 7
    Semedo - 6
    Wagstaff - 5
    Burton - 7
    Mooney - 6
    A Sodje - 5.5
  • Options
    Elliot - 6 Not much he could do about the first 3 goals. Thru his legs for the 4th but the guy was 5 yards out
    Omozusi - 7 Best of the defenders. Did very little wrong and had Sam in front of him. See below
    Dailly - 5.5 Got beaten in the air constantly and was caught out on the ground a few times
    S Sodje - 5 Mistakes for the first two goals and some other wayward clearences but did battle through out
    Basey - 4.5 Poor game and they attacked down his flank all the time. Great cross for Burton's miss at the far post 2nd half.
    Sam - 5.5 The early booking seemed to make him unwilling to tackle as it appeared he knew he'd be off for one more mistimed tackle. Was ineffective defensively as a result although did some good stuff going forward
    Bailey - 6 Great goal but was by-passed in midfield too often
    Semedo - 6 Another hard working performance but too often caught in possession.
    Wagstaff - 4 Can't fault his work ethic but poor back pass for first goal and was often caught out especially for last goal
    Burton - 7 Two good pens and tried to hold the ball up without much service. Worded well with Mooney.
    Mooney - 7.5 A hand in all the goals when he was on the pitch, intelligent running that caused them all sorts of problems
    A Sodje - 5 Had a good chance to score which was saved, another he mis-kicked and messed up a simple inside pass to set Burton clear

McKenzie - looked sharp
    Spring - Should have been on earlier to calm it down the way he did in the few minutes he was on.

Parkinson 5 - At 3 - 2 we had to go on and win it. Left Sam on too, too long and could have replaced Waggy and Sam with Mckenzie and Spring to enable us to exploit the extra man. Credit for the fight back but the team still hasn't got last season out of its head by the looks of it. Yes the players were on the pitch and played badly so must take most of the blame but Parky need to act to shift them out from the 18 yard box. With Bailey and Semedo we had fight but little invention in the middle while Waggy and Sam weren't doing it.

Spanners - Good performance against what Jacket called a "big club". Pressurised us so far up the pitch and filled the midfield to stop us playing. Morrison won nearly every header (even for the OG) and they had a good work ethic and pace even if their defence was poor. Every time we got in the box we looked like we would score but we hardly ever did. Have beated Leeds and have Norwich soon. Let's see how

Ref. How did he not send off the spanner for the 1st pen but did for the 2nd when Sam was running away from goal? Got the corner for their 2nd totally wrong but was willing to let play carry out to see if an advantage appeared.

Good atmosphere and noise from both sets of fans when winning. Both quiet when not.