Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Player ratings

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Elliot - 6 Not much he could do about the first 3 goals. Thru his legs for the 4th but the guy was 5 yards out
    Omozusi - 7 Best of the defenders. Did very little wrong and had Sam in front of him. See below
    Dailly - 5.5 Got beaten in the air constantly and was caught out on the ground a few times
    S Sodje - 5 Mistakes for the first two goals and some other wayward clearences but did battle through out
    Basey - 4.5 Poor game and they attacked down his flank all the time. Great cross for Burton's miss at the far post 2nd half.
    Sam - 5.5 The early booking seemed to make him unwilling to tackle as it appeared he knew he'd be off for one more mistimed tackle. Was ineffective defensively as a result although did some good stuff going forward
    Bailey - 6 Great goal but was by-passed in midfield too often
    Semedo - 6 Another hard working performance but too often caught in possession.
    Wagstaff - 4 Can't fault his work ethic but poor back pass for first goal and was often caught out especially for last goal
    Burton - 7 Two good pens and tried to hold the ball up without much service. Worded well with Mooney.
    Mooney - 7.5 A hand in all the goals when he was on the pitch, intelligent running that caused them all sorts of problems
    A Sodje - 5 Had a good chance to score which was saved, another he mis-kicked and messed up a simple inside pass to set Burton clear

McKenzie - looked sharp
    Spring - Should have been on earlier to calm it down the way he did in the few minutes he was on.

Parkinson 5 - At 3 - 2 we had to go on and win it. Left Sam on too, too long and could have replaced Waggy and Sam with Mckenzie and Spring to enable us to exploit the extra man. Credit for the fight back but the team still hasn't got last season out of its head by the looks of it. Yes the players were on the pitch and played badly so must take most of the blame but Parky need to act to shift them out from the 18 yard box. With Bailey and Semedo we had fight but little invention in the middle while Waggy and Sam weren't doing it.

Spanners - Good performance against what Jacket called a "big club". Pressurised us so far up the pitch and filled the midfield to stop us playing. Morrison won nearly every header (even for the OG) and they had a good work ethic and pace even if their defence was poor. Every time we got in the box we looked like we would score but we hardly ever did. Have beated Leeds and have Norwich soon. Let's see how

Ref. How did he not send off the spanner for the 1st pen but did for the 2nd when Sam was running away from goal? Got the corner for their 2nd totally wrong but was willing to let play carry out to see if an advantage appeared.

Good atmosphere and noise from both sets of fans when winning. Both quiet when not.

Spot on! see this is someones ratings i do care reading, as he sees the game how it is, sort of similar to mine ;-P
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 6
    Dailly - 4
    S Sodje - 6
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 7
    Bailey - 7
    Semedo - 6
    Wagstaff - 5
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 7
  • Options
    Elliot - 5
    Omozusi - 5
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 7.5
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 5
    Bailey - 7
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 4
    Burton - 6.5
    Mooney - 5
    A Sodje - 5
  • Options
    elliot 5
    omozusi 6
    daily 5
    s sodje 7
    basey 6
    sam 2
    bailey 8
    semedo 6
    wagstaff 4
    burton 7
    mooney 6
    a sodje 6
  • Options
    Elliot - 6 Not authoritative as he should have been.
    Omozusi - 7 had a good game, improved.
    Dailly - 6 Re Robbie, not authoratative.
    S Sodje - 6.5 Competitative
    Basey - 6 Some specific problems overshadowed his general game.
    Sam - 6 Was a target for winding up, and it worked.
    Bailey - 7 Great goal, played like he cared.
    Semedo - 7 I thought solid and prepared to battle.
    Wagstaff - 5 Early mistake put him off for the rest of the game.
    Burton - 7 Took his penalties well, and played his usual game.
    Mooney - 7 had a hand in the forward play, stupid handballs led to booking.
    A Sodje - 6 Average cameo.
    Mackenzie 6.5 Was eager to make an impression.

Parkinson 6 ...but didn't set the team up well enough for this game, I got the impression he made no special effort to freshen the players or tactics up, two home points dropped.

Millwall 7 A good away point for them
    Our Crowd 7 Pretty enthusiastic.
    Their support. 6.5 The early second half goal pretty much quietened them for ages.

Game from a neutral point of wiew 9.5
  • Options
    Elliot - 6 - not at fault for any goals but equally nowhere close to preventing them either
    Omozusi - 6 - Prob his best game for us so far
    Dailly - 5 - Deff his worst game for us! Was 'lost' all game
    S Sodje - 6.5 - Tried his hardest to cover daily and basey, not quite as commanding as usual
    Basey - 6 - Great going forward, although only got properly done for pace once every good millwall attack came down their rhs, not helped by waggys lack of support
    Sam - 7 - Another good solid performance apeared to bottle a few challanges, but more to do with having an early yellow I think
    Bailey - 7 - Would have been a ten for his goal!! But we followd his lead and sat far far to deep, CM was none existant
    Semedo - 6 - As above CM was nowhere, far too deep, not his best game, some great tackles, ref seemed to pick on his challanges more than most thou
    Wagstaff - 5.5 - a Threat going forward BUT at fault for thier first when we were in complete control, then lost his way deffensively from then on, basey needed some helpin out even if was just another red shirt nearby, waggy sadly was nowhere
    Burton - 7.5 - Worked his nuts off, 2 great pens, lead the line well
    Mooney - 7.5 - As above worked his nuts off, won to pens, constantly caused problems with his runs, was unlucky to be flagged when clean through atleast 2/3 times
    A Sodje - 6.5 - One great shot but should have done betta when sent through atleast twice, should have scored
  • Options
    Elliot- 6
    Omozusi - 7
    Dailly - 5
    S.Sodje - 6
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 7
    Bailey - 8
    Semedo - 8
    Wagstaff - 6.5
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A.Sodje - 5
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    I meant how can you tell whether someone is basing their ratings on an emotional reaction, rather than how the players actually performed?

Easy ......... by the extremes of their marking of the player, where many have given the player say 6 or 7, somebody else marks him as a 4 - despite that player having assists or major involvement in creating several of our goals.

Also, where posters are prejudiced against a player. They just don't like him, it doesn't matter how well he plays - so despite a decent performance, he'll be lucky to get a 4 or even less from that poster.

The majority will have given him at least a 6, 6.5 or 7. And some will have put comments on how maybe he was the best defender, or that was his best performance so far.

Most people posting player ratings are relatively consistant within reason, some even explain why ....... but there's always a number posting random and irrational marks.
  • Options
    Exiled actually made the point much more succinctly than me. He sums it up well:
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]As for Oggy's point about somke of the more extreme marks flying around, I don't think this was game where you could give the whole team collective high or low marks.

A couple of players had good games and a couple had poor ones but most were about average or a bit below - i.e. not quite good enough to win in the face of determined opposition in a local Derby. I don't really have any complaints about work rate or commitment from anyone, just about some of the decision making.

I definitely think the reaction would be a little more tempered if this hadn't been against Millwall.

And that's why it's astonishing that some people mark players as low as a 2 or 3.
  • Options
    I still cannot understand why it's 'astonishing' for a player to get 3/10. I find it 'astonishing' that people say Wagstaff had a mare, but are giving him 5 or 6 out of 10! If we're saying we're not allowed to give low marks, there's no point marking it out of 10. The performances on the pitch were very diverse, certainly far greater than marking everyone between 5 and 7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ditto.
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 7
    Dailly - 4
    S Sodje - 6.5 (9 in the air, 5 for distributon. Should lay it off like Rufus.)
    Basey - 5 (targetted by Millwall)
    Sam - 5
    Bailey - 7
    Semedo - 7 (strong but not very effective)
    Wagstaff - 5
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 6
    A Sodje - 5 (Missed two decent chances to be a hero.)
    mackenzie 7 (impressed!)
  • Options
    a man like mackenzie is made for a derby like that,hard as nails family he would love it at the den,unlike some of them.a game like this you pick your bravest eleven ,players who will rise to taunts or threats .
  • Options
    Elliot - 5.5
    Omozusi -6
    Dailly -5
    S Sodje -6
    Basey -5.5
    Sam -6.5
    Bailey -7.5
    Semedo -6.5
    Wagstaff -5
    Burton -7
    Mooney -7
    A Sodje -6
  • Options
    Elliot - 5
    Omozusi - 4
    Dailly - 4
    S Sodje - 5
    Basey - 4
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 7.5
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 6
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 7

Our worst performance this season.
  • Options
    Elliot - 6 - Not one of his better games. Got beaten on a tight angle twice
    Omozusi - 7.5 - The pick of the defence for me.
    Dailly - 6.5 - Worst game I've seen him have.
    S Sodje - 6 - Should've taken control and cleared for their first goal instead of leaving it for Wagstaff to tidy up.
    Basey - 6 - At fault for at least the last goal, but what a cross for Burtons near miss.
    Sam - 6.5 - Yes he did hide a little after his booking and should've been subbed, BUT when you're against ten men you really need to play with proper wingers so Parky did the right thing keeping him on.
    Bailey - 7.5 - Quiet in the first half but what a goal. Might've done better for one of their goals (forget which).
    Semedo - 6.5 - Supposed to be the midfield muscle but not decisive enough on the ball for me.
    Wagstaff - 6.5 - Unlucky with their first goal as I think deserved help from the more experienced Sodje.
    Burton - 8.5 - The more I see the more I like. Two cool pens and great all-round play.
    Mooney - 8 - Links up well with Burton. Will certainly play at a higher level one day.
    A Sodje - 6 - I wish they'd show his penalty shout on CAFC player. Jury's out on this fella.

Parky - could've done more tactically to hold onto the lead. Shelvey should've come on at some stage - we needed someone who could just put their foot on the ball and calm it down in the midfield.
  • Options
    Elliot - 6.5
    Omozusi - 6.5
    Dailly -5
    S Sodje - 7.5
    Basey - 5
    Sam -5.5
    Bailey -7
    Semedo - 6.5
    Wagstaff -5
    Burton -7.5
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 6
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Elliot - 5
    Omozusi - 4
    Dailly - 4
    S Sodje - 5
    Basey - 4
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 7.5
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 6
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 7

Our worst performance this season.

seriously? u obviously didnt go colchester!!! yes it was a poor performance but i think you are sort of person oggy is on about, what did Omo do to warrant a 4, Akpo your about the only one who has rated him above 6? you were obviously watching a different game or you have let ur feelings for omo and reversed a sodje get in the way. Omo in my Opinon was by far our best defender, also probably second best player but was a close call. again you have over-rated burton just as he has scored two goals FFS ppl its not all about the goals, i can see some ppl have noticed this but alot of ppl dont!!!
  • Options
    omo was good in second half
  • Options
    Elliot - 5 - Minorly at fault for 3rd and 4th goals
    Omozusi - 6 - Solid if unspectactular
    Dailly - 5 - Looked rattled by their movement, struggled to get tight
    S Sodje - 5.5 - Did reasonable well but at fault for first goal
    Basey - 5 - Had a tough game, struggled to contain his man
    Sam - 5 - Was anonymous, seems to have lost pace and power lately
    Bailey - 7 - Great goal, gutsy performance
    Semedo - 6.5 - Won some good tackles but failed to protect the back four well enough
    Wagstaff - 4.5 - Struggled to get into game, at fault for goal. didn't look comfortable playing out of position
    Burton - 7.5 - Composed for pens, worked hard
    Mooney - 8 - Good movement and work rate, our main threat
    A Sodje - 6 - A couple of good moments and a couple of bad moments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elliot-6
    Omozusi-6
    Dailly-4.5 been superb all season ,not his best game.
    S.sodje-6.5
    Basey-6
    Sam-6
    Bailey-7.5 great goal
    Semedo-6.5
    Wagstaff-5.5
    Burton-8
    Mooney- 7
    A.sodje-7
  • Options
    Elliot - 5
    Omozusi - 6
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 6
    Basey - 5
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 8
    Semedo - 6
    Wagstaff - 5
    Burton - 7
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 5
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 7
    Dailly - 6
    S Sodje - 7
    Basey - 6
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 7
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 7
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 7
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dabos[/cite]I still cannot understand why it's 'astonishing' for a player to get 3/10. I find it 'astonishing' that people say Wagstaff had a mare, but are giving him 5 or 6 out of 10! If we're saying we're not allowed to give low marks, there's no point marking it out of 10. The performances on the pitch were very diverse, certainly far greater than marking everyone between 5 and 7.

I think that's fair enough Dabos. What I would contest though is the blanket low marks given by some. Personally I think you should only get a score lower than a five if you have really bad game or just don't try. I certainly saw no-one not trying and imo no-one had an absolute stinker, although a couple were definitely poor (Dailly, Basey and Waggy mainly) - but that's all fully open to interpretation and others may see 5 as a par score rather than a below average one.

On the flip side though there were some decent to good performances (Semedo and Mooney in particular for me) so I think you can read when people are being reactionary with blanket low marks as even in amoungst the absolute car crash that was Yeovil a couple of players came out with a few shreds of dignity intact and saturday was nowhere near that level of ineptitude.

I do think it might be helpful if someone posted up a definitive list of 'guidance notes' i.e. a one line definition of what constitutes a score of 1/10, 2/10 etc, etc...
  • Options
    [cite]
    I do think it might be helpful if someone posted up a definitive list of 'guidance notes' i.e. a one line definition of what constitutes a score of 1/10, 2/10 etc, etc...

I think that is taking it a bit too far, i think generally as a whole it does work well. but does have its flaws for example...
    If shelvey doesnt have a blinder he is more likely to get marked down cos we expect more
    Burton can do no wrong as he's scoring so ppl will make more allowances

so i would say dont say a thing but its only healthy to debate afterwards with ppl if you feel they are being silly! although that said you dont want it to get into a full blown arguement which is often the case :-)
  • Options
    Elliot - 6
    Omozusi - 6
    Dailly - 5
    S Sodje - 7
    Basey - 6
    Sam - 6
    Bailey - 7
    Semedo - 7
    Wagstaff - 6
    Burton - 8
    Mooney - 7
    A Sodje - 7
  • Options
    Elliot - 4
    Omozusi -5
    Dailly -5
    S Sodje -5
    Basey -3
    Sam -7
    Bailey -8
    Semedo -6
    Wagstaff -6
    Burton -8
    Mooney -6
    A Sodje 5
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    What I would contest though is the blanket low marks given by some. Personally I think you should only get a score lower than a five if you have really bad game or just don't try. I certainly saw no-one not trying and imo no-one had an absolute stinker, although a couple were definitely poor.......

Bang on, Exiled.