Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yado, Tuna, Carl - Off to work experience...

Comments

• Options
    Good stuff. I think all three of them could be players and will benefit from the move. Jenkinson particularly looks to have something about it him. For the ones going to Staines, they'll have Arter there as a friendly face (presumably)
  • Options
    I wonder what they get paid while there? Probably something like £11.18 after tax...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Good stuff. I think all three of them could be players and will benefit from the move. Jenkinson particularly looks to have something about it him. For the ones going to Staines, they'll have Arter there as a friendly face (presumably)

I thought Arter ended up at Woking?

Will hopefully be good experience for all 3
  • Options
    I read a post on here recently that Arter was signing for Swindon.

On the main point good that they are playing mens football.
  • Options
    Dabos, sorry my bad. He was on loan at Staines.

Len, I missed this http://www.surreyherald.co.uk/surrey-sport/allsport/2009/12/17/woking-want-30k-from-swindon-for-harry-arter-86289-25417044/

Another one slips through the net etc. :-)
  • Options
    Interesting.... Parky mentioned Tuna at the recent Bromley evening, agree in principle and the lads need to be playing, however not sure that Welling is quite the place for them as one of the first team used to play in my sons team at Gravesend, if that is the level surprised, but I guess if they play them fine....needs games under his belt. So do not think the standard is that high, seeing the lads parents at the weekend get the low down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Interesting.... Parky mentioned Tuna at the recent Bromley evening, agree in principle and the lads need to be playing, however not sure that Welling is quite the place for them as one of the first team used to play in my sons team at Gravesend, if that is the level surprised, but I guess if they play them fine....needs games under his belt. So do not think the standard is that high, seeing the lads parents at the weekend get the low down.
    It's pretty normal to send them to that level. They've got to prove themselves more before going on loan to the BSP or League two. We've sent a lot of players on loan to Welling over the last 5 years, going back as far as Darren Randolph and Onome Sodje (and maybe more before that). Until they show they're too good for the BSS they'll find it hard to get interest from clubs in higher divisions.

Will do them all good and it's a chance for them to confirm to Parky and the coaches that they definitely deserve pro contracts.

Considering Jack Clark is on loan to Bognor Regis Town (Isthmian Premier, the next level down), it's not too bad for Jenkinson and Tuna's first loans out. Stavrinou is a year above them and is only on loan one league above with Ebbsfleet.

For Mambo it's his third spell with a Blue Square South club, hopefully he gets a good run of games. From what I heard he was doing ok at Welling and improving, but for whatever reason his loan with Dover was cut short.
  • Options
    Mambo got sent off at Dover. Straight red I believe and a suspension. That could be why the loan was cut short.
  • Options
    Elliot was of the opinion that going on loan to Accrington Stanley ("who are they?")
    helped him as much in growing up as a person as developing as a player.

All three will be playing v men and Blue Square South is decent football. Northwich play at the Northern monkey equivalent remember and Wagstaff was there not so long ago.

If Tuna plays and scores we can start raving about him as the new Chris Dickson : - )
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Mambo got sent off at Dover. Straight red I believe and a suspension. That could be why the loan was cut short.
    Yeah thinking about it I did see he was sent off. After that we had the youth cup games so they probably decided not to bring him back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Mambo was on "work experience" rather than a loan which enabled him to play in Charlton matches when needed.
  • Options
    Bromley v Welling on New Years Day
    Bromley v Staines on 13 Feb

Tempted.
  • Options
    It's pretty normal to send them to that level. They've got to prove themselves more before going on loan to the BSP or League two. We've sent a lot of players on loan to Welling over the last 5 years, going back as far as Darren Randolph and Onome Sodje (and maybe more before that). Until they show they're too good for the BSS they'll find it hard to get interest from clubs in higher divisions......Scoham

Yes I know about Welling!. Just do not rate the present side, and a lot of the players playing in the current squad....It was always a good feeder club and they have produced some decent players over the past few years. Tamer's older brother used to play with my sons and Gravesend, and at the time Welling were managed by Hales who two sons were at the West ham academy, my two sons used to play in the Kent side with the younger lad,until his dad stopped him playing ( while at school) . Afraid to say that I did not rate him as the manager then or at Margate....(they were relegated!)
    ''
    Difficult situation for Parky and the lads, trouble is they go out on loan score goals and then people say 'Oh well that is in a lower league.... And if Charlton get promoted then somehow it becomes irrelevent, The Dickson comparrison at present is the same except he is older. 'If you are good enough you are old enough in my book'. I am sure Charlton have the lads best interest at heart and as I originally posted they do need the games, but you get a load of injuries at this level, especially if you are a young quick player...... As I said be interesting to hear what they think......
  • Options
    Fair enough, I don't know much about the Welling team. Was just saying all u18s we send on work experience generally go to the Blue Square Prem at best, most below that.

There's always the risk they pick up injuries at any level. As I said Mambo was with Welling earlier this season, others have gone there in the past, Arter went on loan to Staines last season, at least they are clubs we've sent players on loan to before. If it didn't do those players any good we wouldn't have sent Jenkinson and Tuna out or Mambo again.
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]trouble is they go out on loan score goals and then people say 'Oh well that is in a lower league....
    That's only what some fans think though. Like you say if they're good enough they're old enough, if Parky thought they were ready and should be playing more first team games he'd be using them.
  • Options
    Yes it is a difficult one and not getting any easier for the younger players to break through.......
    Lee Hales has today signed on loan for two months from Premier League outfit West Ham United FC. Hales has featured in both West Ham's youth and reserve squad this season and is tipped to be a hot prospect for the future at Upton Park. The eighteen-year old midfielder has played for England at both Under 16 and Under 17 level. from a posting 3 years ago.....

Not sure what Lee is doing now and the lad was quite a prospect,?.... but then that is the problem getting experience and not being rushed or expossed to being hacked down by some player who wants to take a young player out of the game!. It has been a big issue for promising young players for years now, and there is no easy answer. I personally prefer to have a couple of young players in a team, or on the bench, but as Parky stated at the Bromley meeting two weeks ago young players do dip in performance, and Shelvey for all his talent and skill is probably an example of this. This time last year I thought he was the best player in the team.... a lot of pressure is put on young players when they have a couple of average games......
  • Options
    These players need to prove themselves to earn pro contracts come the end of the season. Tuna has looked bright when in the 1st team but it seems as though all three are victims of the lack of reserve side. All three could have good futures and I reckon Tuna will score a few on loan as he has a good record for the u18s and for the reserves last season.

Would like to see Perkins go on loan as well, Parky obviously rates him but hard for him to impress aside from the youth games!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lack of a reserve side doesn't help, but we've been sending out players on 'work experience' more and more over the last few years, when we did have a reserve team. It gives them experience of competitive games, and as Henry said, it's also about growing as a person.

Before Elliot was on loan at Accrington, he also went on loan to Bishop's Stortford in the BSS. Godfrey, Long and others we released in the summer all had similar loans. In fact Godfrey went even lower and played for Croydon.

Just had a look at Welling's site and they've signed Chris Saunders, an ex-youth player we released a couple of years ago. Good to see some of them playing at that sort of level after being released, so many don't even make it into the BS leagues after we let them go.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We tried to get Jonjo Shelvey to come on "work experience" when our Charlton Life FC team played Exeter this season.

Unfortunately Jonjo couldn't play as he had another game that day, so we got his brother - and his Uncle Alan instead.

;o)
  • Options
    Who was that Vietnamese player?

The V n guyen (or something like that!?). He was billed as a world beater and disappeared without trace.
  • Options
    got shit faced with him in hickory's as it was in swanley about 16 years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Lack of a reserve side doesn't help, but we've been sending out players on 'work experience' more and more over the last few years, when we did have a reserve team. It gives them experience of competitive games, and as Henry said, it's also about growing as a person.
    We've got a reserve side and play reserve fixtures. Where's this coming from? If we were in the Reserve League it's not really "competitive" as nobody really gives two shites (everyone in the team wants to be someplace else as opposed to just 70% off the first team :-)), so I reckon we're better arranging friendlies, as we do. The only reason we've not had them lately is the weather (as Parky mentioned in the press conference), which has affected premiership sides, so not surprising really.
  • Options
    Fair point, guess there probably haven't been many reserve league games recently anyway.
  • Options
    I thought Jenkinson had joined Welling ??

From Staines News:

HAVING snapped up two of Charlton Athletic’s most promising youngsters on work experience, Staines Town have another in their sights.

Full-back Carl Jenkinson is set to join striker Tamer Tuna and centre-back Yado Mambo in coming to Wheatsheaf Park to learn their trade.

But Jenkinson, who can play either left-back or right-back, will only arrive once Tuna or Mambo is recalled by Charlton, as Staines can only have two players on loan from one club at any one time.

The 17-year-old, who has a Finnish mother and English father, and has represented both countries in youth internationals, was reportedly a target for Manchester United last summer.

And for Swans assistant manager Craig Maskell, a relationship he forged in his playing days is paying huge dividends.

He said: "I’ve known the Charlton manager, Phil Parkinson, since we were players at Reading and Southampton, and I am godfather to one of his daughters.

"We have a good relationship, which has worked in the past too when Phil was at Colchester and we got Jamie Guy and Robbie King in.

"There’s no time restriction of their work experience, they can stay as long as they or we want, and Charlton can recall them at any time.

"It will basically be on a game-to-game, week-to-week basis, and hopefully we can help them, and they can help us.

"However, since the rules prevent us having more than two from a single club at the same time, we’re not sure when we’ll see Carl yet."

While Tuna joined the Swans squad for Monday’s game with Bishop’s Stortford, Mambo will arrive next week as Charlton are suffering a defensive crisis due to injuries and suspensions.

However, Maskell admits Staines are taking something of a gamble on the Charlton youngsters, as neither him nor boss Steve Cordery have seen any of them play.

He said: "Although we haven’t seen them play ourselves, they come highly recommended and are well thought of at Charlton. Sometimes these things work out and sometimes they don’t.

"They are all academy lads who have played for the reserves too, while Tuna has played for the first team a few times and scored for them in a cup tie earlier this season."

Maskell also warned the youngsters they won’t be walking into the Swans side, despite their fine reputations.

He added: "We don’t want the players who have done so well for us in recent weeks to feel they are being replaced. The Charlton lads are coming in to supplement the squad and add a bit of competition.

"If we carry on showing the sort of form we have over the last few weeks, there’s no reason why we can’t make the Blue Square South play-offs."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I thought Jenkinson had joined Welling ??
    I thought that, but I had a look on their site and he didn't play on Boxing day. Perhaps it never went through.

Mambo has been recalled hasn't he? I guess he can go back though as it's only 'work experience.'
  • Options
    Tamer and Yado made their debuts for Staines yesterday with Yado scoring in a 2-1 win.
  • Options
    See that they 'forced' there way in then!
  • Options
    Charlton youngster helps Swans to win

Jan 17 2010 By Jon Batham

Staines 2-1 Lewes

YADO Mambo scored on his debut as Staines came from behind to beat struggling Lewes to go seventh in the table.

The giant No.5 struck from close range early in the second half – the first of two goals in little over a minute from the swans which turned the match on its head.

Mambo’s fellow Charlton loanee Tamer Tuna also made a very promising debut for Steve Cordery’s men, but the hosts were hanging on at the end.

Mambo’s first contribution was to clatter Lewes winger Dan Royce inside the first 90 seconds, but the 18-year-old escaped a booking and the free-kick came to nothing.

The centre-back was almost on the score-sheet on 14 minutes, his close range effort from Leroy Griffiths’ corner deflected behind.

A minute later it was Tuna’s turn to show his paces, as put through by Dean Thomas he forced a fine point-blank stop from Rikki Banks.

However, the visitors took the lead against the run of play on 24 minutes, Royce’s pinpoint free-kick powerfully headed home by Jean Michel Sigere.

Five minutes later it should have been 2-0 as Royce in oceans of space down the left forced an excellent one-handed save from Louis Wells.

Tuna forced Banks to tip over as Staines tried to respond and the young centre-forward was prominent again eight minutes before the break in a move which ended with Howard Newton shooting narrowly wide.

The hosts problems increased on 39 minutes, when leading scorer Chaaban was forced off with a twisted knee after a seemingly innocuous clash with keeper Banks..

However, Staines started the second half brightly and levelled on 51 minutes when Griffiths miss-kicked Mazin Ahmad’s cross from the left, but the ball dropped to Mambo who forced the ball home.

Lewes hadn’t recovered when Staines immediately attacked again, and though Banks brilliantly denied both Tuna and Griffiths, Newton followed up to calmly slot inside the near post from the edge of the box.

Far from building on their momentum Staines sat back and Lewes twice came close to a leveller with just over 15 minutes left. Mambo blocked one goal-bound effort away for a corner, from which Anthony Barness fizzed an effort just wide.

And the visitors should have grabbed a point on 86 minutes as substitute Aaron Hopkinson was put clean through, but the teenager panicked and screwed his shot wide.
  • Options
    Is that our Anthony Barness, still playing? A much under-rated, two-footed full back. The injury to their main forward could give TT more oportunities than first expected.