Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you think our defending was crap against Millwall .....

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Don't miss the chance to see how we used to defend:

Link: Manual of class defending

Comments

• Options
    I remember that game, really was bad.

Pretty sure it was the same game we took a throw in, Faye tried to knock it back first time, and it went straight over Young's (I think) head.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    For all the venom about the Wycombe game (which was indeed utterly abject), this was still by far the worst Charlton performance I'd seen in at least fifteen years. It was embarrassing to the point of ridiculousness
  • Options
    Yes that was bad. Had thankfully forgotten most of it ... until now ... cheers Oggy ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Yes that was bad. Had thankfully forgotten most of it ... until now ... cheers Oggy ;-)

Glad to be of service, Mr Muse.

Just when we think watching Charlton is just a recipe for more disappointment, along comes some tosser to remind you of the good old days.

;o)
  • Options
    PS: Anybody got a Les Berry tape .....?
  • Options
    or dicky tydenham? or them both together
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]or dicky tydenham? or them both together

Although you'll remember Tydeman was a creative midfielder, and not a defender, Nolly.

From that era, I'll throw in a replacement centre back ...... how about Peter Shaw, he of ever expanding girth ?
  • Options
    was quite young then oggy,just rember dicky and les being lanky types who got overrun all the time,and terry bullivant what a complete shambles we were,and kevin smith he used to play shadow football without touching it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]was quite young then oggy,just rember dicky and les being lanky types who got overrun all the time,and terry bullivant what a complete shambles we were,and kevin smith he used to play shadow football without touching it

Terry Bullivant was a ball winning midfielder too, but played deeper. Remember Terry Brisley played the same role but a bit earlier ?

Kevin Smith, although a bit lightweight, was more creative - I thought he was hardworking and covered a lot of ground.
    Always involved and made things happen with his movement on and off the ball.

But they are all midfielders - really, we should be talking about weak defenders.
    How about Bobby Goldthorpe (from the mid 70s) and Paul Curtis (from the early 80s) .....?
  • Options
    paul curtis i think i rember did he have a mop of curly hair?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hey, you guys, stop peeing on my memories.

Les Berry came through our outh team and was a loyal servant to Charlton.
    His defending was actually pretty good, but his ball distribution was godawful.

Dick Tydeman was a classy midfieldeer with a decent pass on him.
    His free-kick routines with Keithie Peacock were the stuff of legend. ;-)

Peter Shaw....."we all agree Peter Shaw is a w**ker"
    Well he sure got off to a bad start, but credit to him he never hid or complained but just got on with it.
    In the end he sort of won the crowd over.
    I learned what was meant by the word "character" from him

Kevin Smith - another youth product - hustling, bustling midfielder.
  • Options
    fuck me we were shit,brought up as a child watching that dross,sorry but there were a complete joke of a team,hardly ever won away and never beat millwall or palace hardly.
  • Options
    i rember sitting in the back of a luton van going up to somewhere like chester as a small child once and being beaten out of sight,i new were diffrent even then.
  • Options
    You're probably right Nolly.
    The last years under Andy Nelson were especially dire.

Looking back through the mists of time though, I can get quite sentimental about guys like Les Berry.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I didnt mind players like Les Berry. He wasnt being paid huge money, didnt wear gold boots and didnt have an attitude towards supporters like they were beneath him.

And I paid for Ronnie Moore. Willingly too!

Wouldnt cross the road for a vast majority of our players of the past 3 years.
  • Options
    i loved the club but sometimes wondered why as a young boy why i was on the way to chesterfield at seven in the morning in a van,with just my ugly brothers to look at.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]You're probably right Nolly.

Looking back through the mists of time though, I can get quite sentimental about guys like Les Berry.

I just replied to you recalling some of these players, Sixer - then I tried to edit the preview instead of the comments box ........ and the whole post just vanished up the arsehole of cyber space.

Sorry mate. Can't write it all again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

I just replied to you recalling some of these players, Sixer - then I tried to edit the preview instead of the comments box ........ and the whole post just vanished up the arsehole of cyber space.

Never mind Rob.
    Maybe we can chew the fat over a pint some time
  • Options
    Remember watching that on Sky. Most of the pundits were saying how well Liverpool played. Erm no that ranked against us as one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Sure we saw bad in the champ, but I can't remember making an awful performance look world beating as we did Liverpool that day.

The worst performance for me was Newcastle, where they played 5 leprichorns in their front six and James Milner; who was about as cutting edge at that time as Big Fun. We were overwhelmed in mid whilst Guiseppe Rossi, or some other top 4 reject, and the rest couldn't make a decent chance. It was obvious all match that their appalling mini-me team wouldn't score unless we very likely ran into each other. All that had to be done was put five into mid, win ball then their awful mini-me midfield would give up chance after chance. Finally in the final twenty mins Dowie did and D Bent started getting chance after chance. Depressing.
  • Options
    In that Liverpool game, Ambrose and D Bent both has chances in the last 15mins and we may even have saved a point. Alan Hansen described our performance as ther worst he had seen by a Prem side!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]

Never mind Rob.
    Maybe we can chew the fat over a pint some time

Yep, good idea!
  • Options
    Traore and Faye epitomise everything that went wrong with our club. Shocking players.
  • Options
    Was poor, but at least Alan Hansen felt sorry for us. "Inept Charlton" what would we be now indebt Charlton maybe :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Traore and Faye epitomise everything that went wrong with our club. Shocking players.

Agree totally, plus Marcus Bent.

I hate all 3 with a passion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Was poor, but at least Alan Hansen felt sorry for us. "Inept Charlton" what would we be now indebt Charlton maybe :-)

Ha ha, good play on words, Ruppert
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Traore and Faye epitomise everything that went wrong with our club. Shocking players.

Agree totally, plus Marcus Bent.

I hate all 3 with a passion.

They sure did Iazale Mcleod aswell would come into that god i luv that man :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Was poor, but at least Alan Hansen felt sorry for us. "Inept Charlton" what would we be now indebt Charlton maybe :-)

Ha ha, good play on words, Ruppert

One P Oggy and thanks i try my best :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Ha ha, good play on words, Ruppert

Is that also a play on words Oggy ... if so, can't work it out ;-)
  • Options
    Sorry Rupert (checks spelling, just in case). No, just a st...st..stutter on the keyboard.

I've not even had a Xmas Eve drink yet, unbelievably.
  • Options
    I suppose Ruppert Charlton could make:

Help, corrupt rant