Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Merry Xmas to Sodje and Burton you deserve our applause ...

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
you pair of prats. In some way I have more symapthy for Sodje because it was high and late but I doubt he meant it and these things happen (although a bit too often for him). But for Burton that was sheer and utter stupidity. Once booked, and for dissent which I never condone anyway, to do something as silly and blatant as that was ridiculous. I have no sympathy for him. I can't believe people stood and clapped him off. He cost us two points today in my opinion as I'm convinced that even with only 10 on the pitch we would have beaten them. At the end of the day that could cost us automatic promotion. Hit them both hard, where it hurts. And Sodje has a lot to do for me to get back in the team. I've always considered him a loose cannon and that is three sending off's in three seasons and the two this season have cost us vital points. He isn't that much better than Llera, if at all, to be considered a regular starter and deserves a spell on the bench. Spectacular headers and flying tackles are all well and got but not if your'e a liability waiting to happen.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2009
    shit happens ,our two better players this season.
  • Options
    gotta say Large I agree, Burton was a complete prick and a serious fine will be coming his way I suspect. We'd have won comfortably even with 10 men today.

Sodje now gets a 4 match ban for his second sending off of the season.
  • Options
    Sodje got what he deserved and although I like the bloke he got no applause from me today.

I felt sorry for Burton and felt he was a victim of a meglomaniac referee who wanted to show everyone he was not a "homer". He also had played excellently up to then in my view other than the header from Jonjo's cross which he perhaps should have done better with.

I agree that Sodje should have to fight his way back after his suspension but with bookings and injuries the chances are that in reality we will be grateful to have another body by then.
  • Options
    when he is avalible he will go back in,its scary thinking about the defensive line up without him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]when he is avalible he will go back in,its scary thinking about the defensive line up without him

that is rubbish in my opinion. We've been letting in plenty recently and Sodje been involved in all those games. Sodje has seriously let us down twice, today and at Yeovil and cost us points on both occasions. Llera had a mare at Colchester and that's it. No way is Sodje a shoe-in.
  • Options
    thought he was one of the better plaers in the millwall game,im sorry but llera gives me no confidence,we shall see,hopefully monday he will be solid
  • Options
    From my angle looked a harsh sending off for sodje -- two footed, yes, but no studs showing so therefore not dangerous?

Burton had a rush of blood to the head sort of moment, which granted should not be happening to a senior pro like him. However his displays this season have on the whole been exemplary so im willing to forgive
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]From my angle looked a harsh sending off for sodje -- two footed, yes, but no studs showing so therefore not dangerous?

Burton had a rush of blood to the head sort of moment, which granted should not be happening to a senior pro like him. However his displays this season have on the whole been exemplary so im willing to forgive

sorry, Burton had two rushes of blood to the head moments and that is what surprises me. A seasoned pro he should know better.
  • Options
    Sam Sodje is a bit of a nutter at the best of times, so for him to go off with a head injury and come back on the pitch, I can only imagine he was still seeing stars when he went in for that reckless challenge and was deservedly sent off. As for Deon he obviously fancied Monday off. His Maradona impression was laughable, those at the very back of the NU could've seen it was a blatent handball.

However so long as both players are man enough to stand up apologise to their team mates and the coaching staff, then that'd be enough for me. Water under the bridge and all that, Parky and the management have got more important things to deal with at the moment than start fining players.
  • Options
    After all his efforts this season, I'm not going to criticise Burton for a couple of momentary lapses of judgement. FFS, he's been our best player this season, and a very big factor in our league position. Yes, I did applaud him off, out of solidarity with an honest, intelligent and skillful player who's given his all for the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burton has been our best player this season, i shouldn't think there are many who would doubt that. But today's sending off was the most pointless I have ever seen at a Charlton game so no way would I have even contemplated clapping him off. I would fine him the maximum for his utter stupidity and then forgive and move on.

At the end of the day this club NEEDS promotion this year and cannot afford to chuck points away because someone has a hissy fit and gets themself sent off. Simple as that in my book.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Graham R.[/cite]After all his efforts this season, I'm not going to criticise Burton for a couple of momentary lapses of judgement. FFS, he's been our best player this season, and a very big factor in our league position. Yes, I did applaud him off, out of solidarity with an honest, intelligent and skillful player who's given his all for the club.

i have been very pro burton but today he acted like a 17 yr old novice, he has let us all down today firstly with his headed finish, then his attitude to the ref and then the handball, i am all for solidarity but he let you down today, to clap him was just madness he did not deserve your support
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Neither do I think we should have a hissy fit with him. He's been superb for us, so let's give him a break.
  • Options
    I did not see the point of applauding the players who were sent off, both let the side down as we would surely have won that game with 11 men or even 10. Sodje may be a fans fave and at times a great defender for this level but too often he has done that, 14 career red cards and the second in a cafc shirt for a ridiculous two footed lunge. Two years ago at Norwich he arguably cost us the win after his red and today did the same. Hope he gets the max fine and his month off (next time he's available in the Orient game) teaches him a lesson.

Even though I am convinced by Jan 25th, we'll be calling for a Sodje to come straight back in, cause of we are not convinced by Llera, I wish Miguel all the best and hope he can play like he has done since his Colchester nightmare (albeit only a few games, he impressed against Oldham, Saints and today)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    3 sendings off for Sodje in a Cha\rlton shirt, Dan.

Norwich - Xmas 2 years ago.
    Yeovil last month
    Swindon today.
  • Options
    Sorry yeah I meant for ridiculous challenges which were stonewall red cards (High tackles, two footed etc)
  • Options
    Sodje wreckless tackle 4 games to think what hes done now.
    Burton, 1st time this season hes done something wrong. He'll come back and score more goals this season.
    2 players who have been excellent this season.they know they did wrong, not going to criticise them too much.
  • Options
    I echo the sentiments expressed by Large and Valleyman, however, I would say the ref could have shown a modicom of sense and had a word with Burton after the handball and give him a final warning........I've seen that happen many times this season and on certain occaisons the ref hasn't booked the player.

Whilst on the subject the booking Basey got was again down to ref who doen't understand (and probably never played)the game. Basey was just frustrated and vented his feelings by talking it out on the advertsing hordings.........no-one got injured, no-one swore . so why the booking ?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]gotta say Large I agree, Burton was a complete prick and a serious fine will be coming his way I suspect. We'd have won comfortably even with 10 men today.

Sodje now gets a 4 match ban for his second sending off of the season.[/quote]

I suppose Parkie will now have to implement the plan he had when he thought Sodje was going to the African Cup!
  • Options
    "so why the booking?"

Because they're the rules. Same as if someone deliberately handballs it like Burton did. Common sense is all very well with niggly fouls but they were both blatant yellow cards and nine out of ten referees would have done the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unthinkable stupidity. Apologies to the players and fine both until they can play again. I love both players, but Sam especially, it seems that might be the only way he'll ever learn. 30 years old, 14 red cards.
  • Options
    14 red cards is Julian Dicks-esque. Funny because he's not generally a dirty player.

Give or take the odd two footed kung fu kick.........
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]"so why the booking?"

Because they 're the rules. Same as if someone deliberately handballs it like Burton did. Common sense is all very well with niggly fouls but they were both blatant yellow cards and nine out of ten referees would have done the same.
    The Laws of the Game also state that if a player leaves the pitch without the refs permission that is a caution. So why was Basey booked for dissent but their bloke scores and then hurdles over the hoardings and celebrates on the track and nothing happens? The ref was far too inconsistent.
  • Options
    "Fine them both 2 weeks wages and spread them out between the 9 players who had to work tirelessly because of their stupidity". The old man does come out with some gems during his rambling.
  • Options
    The ref had no choice on either sending off. Common sense has sadly been taken away from them. A few years back refs would have had a chat with Burton and let him off...now they would be marked down for doing that, same with the Basey incedent...players know this and should be clever enough not to get them selves in such circumstances.

What did piss me off though was the refs consistency, as said above. If he was going to stick to the rules then the Swindon player should have been booked for leaving the field of play when celebrating and their right winger should have been booked in the first half when he deliberatly hand balled it in our half (not to mention the 15 fouls of which I think 14 were on Sodje A and all went unpunished!
  • Options
    The ref was awful today. I have no sympathy for Burton or Sodje... The bloke has been around for well over 700 games so no excuse.. compae that to Shelvey who for me hasn't been consistently playing well but played well forme today
  • Options
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ref was terrible,however Burton and Sodje both let us down in this match,it was like coming away with 3 points in the end though
  • Options
    with Rudders on Shelvey , showed great attitude today to come back into the side and play like that .

Burton Knew as soon as he did the handball what was coming and even though the ref was pretty terrible he really had no choice but to send him off.

Shame we're gonna lose Akpo after Brentford and what with Mooney injured we are once again light in the front area. I spoke briefly to Parky a couple of weeks ago and he said he wanted forwards and defenders in the transfer window (money permitting) with the loans of Akpo and Mooney being the forwards . If the board could show how fantastic they are as ever and dig even deeper to help him out then we are in with a great chance. Norwich are the big danger now though.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Norwich are the big danger now though.[/quote]

Hoolahan and Holt are on fire,hopefully their bubble will burst soon. Really don't want to be in the play offs