Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Megson - Gone

WSSWSS
edited December 2009 in Other Football and Sports
After that outburst about the fans last night I'm not surprised:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/8434311.stm

Comments

• Options
    What because he said the fans booing was affecting the performance he got sacked?

glad to see we are not the only booers of our team.
  • Options
    lower level premiership football not good enough for some fans ......still i'm sure they know best
  • Options
    Think it was more of the tone of it, probably made it a bit untenable effectively saying that he was never going to win the fans over so what's the point etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]he was never going to win the fans over so what's the point etc.

yeah some fans would never be happy with what some managers do in the top flight .... but draw 3 games in league one and you're a farking hero!
  • Options
    Useless manager anyway. Another club that went for the cheap option and found out only when they realised how expensive a mistake it would be if they were relegated.
  • Options
    dont really disagree with his sacking as think he's a pretty poor manager anyways but if they win their two games in hand (on pretty much every team around them) they go up to 10th?? If they just get 1 win they jump up to 12ish, and if they only draw one of the two theyre up to 14th
  • Options
    they finished 13th with him last year ...wtf do people want
  • Options
    I'm not sure what he did to upset the fans. They've not liked him since day one despite him getting them safe (against the odds to a certain extent) in his first season and then finishing 13th last year. oohahh has it right, and history shows that the majority of teams in the prem dropzone who change managers at christmas still go down. They'll be hoping they do a westham or a pompey, but the odds are against them.

Saying that though, they aren't in a bad position. If they win their 2 games in hand they'll be mid-table.

The problem there is they were spoilt under big sam to a certain extent, and megson hasn't had the funds sam had (either for transfer fees or wages), and probably hasn't done some of the allegedly dodgy deals that caused sam to stop talking to the bbc (though unlike 12yr old school playground bully ferguson he is now talking to the bbc again).

So megson was doomed from day 1, less money to spend than a much loved predecessor, and high earners sold or released lowering the overall quality of the squad, plus the fans having it in for him from day one. I'm not sure who they can appoint who's going to have more success than finishing 13th (and being currently 2 wins from 10th)
  • Options
    Not sure how you can call a bloke who saved them from relegation in his first season then got them to mid table last season a 'useless manager'.

Be interesting to see who they replace him with and if he can get them out of trouble. I have my doubts.
  • Options
    ...Mark Hughes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]he was never going to win the fans over so what's the point etc.

yeah some fans would never be happy with what some managers do in the top flight .... but draw 3 games in league one and you're a farking hero!
    seriosly get over it mate it's boring!

I would have loved curbs to stay but he didn't want to himself and the board got to think they were bigger than they were for all of one season we know this and we know where we are all now... well we know where the loyal ones are ;o)

anywho just stop it alright :o)
  • Options

YAWN
  • Options
    Surprised it took so long.
  • Options
    Bolton fans have absolutely hated him for ages. So no surprise
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]...Mark Hughes?

I'm sure Notlob would love him, but you'd have to think - after dealing with the likes of Tevez - that Hughes would have slightly loftier ambitions and it's too far North for Curbs. I can't think of any obvious, out of work candidates with a better CV than Megson who Bolton could actually attract. Think they're going to end up having to take a bit of a punt on someone.

Guess this is Dowie's big chance to 'come home'!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Useless manager anyway.

Er, how do you work that one out?
  • Options
    reckon Mark Hughes is a shoe-in for Bolton. I mean, what other top jobs will he get. United, Chelsea, Arse, Spudz, Villa, Liverpool, Man City - all a big fat no. Therefore it's going to be a club like Bolton. Remember he was appointed City manager before the big money turned up.
  • Options
    Darren Ferguson me reckons.

Another Ginger bites the dust :o(
  • Options
    Owen Coyle?
  • Options
    Peter Reid?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hughes might have 'lofty ambitions' but he also has to consider what's on offer.

Bolton are an established PL side and are near his home.

He also has something to prove after what happened at City.
    He turned Blackburn around when he took over and kept them up.
    I'd be a happy Trotter if MK turned up at the Reebok.
  • Options

definitely a WUM
  • Options
    The fans will want Curbs but doubt he'll fancy Bolton. Darren Ferguson is a good bet and Owen Coyle played for Bolton so may be the fans choice
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]
    The problem there is they were spoilt under big sam to a certain extent, and megson hasn't had the funds sam had (either for transfer fees or wages), and probably hasn't done some of the allegedly dodgy deals that caused sam to stop talking to the bbc (though unlike 12yr old school playground bully ferguson he is now talking to the bbc again).

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. In the Guardian they do the 'fans reaction' thing after games, and the guy said the problem with Megson is he's spent £40million and yet they have a far worse squad than when he started.

I have a few mates who are Bolton fans, and telling them they're being harsh on Megson is treated like when people tell us Pardew 'did all he could but Charlton were already a sinking ship'.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]lower level premiership football not good enough for some fans ......still i'm sure they know best

Is this self-parody now?

He was sacked because they were worried they'd get relegated from the premiership, exacerbated by letting a 2-0 lead slip at home to Hull. If he was comfortably 13th and was sacked because they weren't pushing for Europe, then it would have been a bit different

I'm not saying I agree with them sacking him exactly (I reckon he'd still make as good a go as most at keeping them up) but it's completely different to some of the fans who called for Curbs to be sacked because we weren't pushing Europe any more.
  • Options
    Curbs for sure for this one

he wants premier league footie and Bolton are solid, have a bit of money and I think he'll go there. They are a no frills type of club just luke we were

Hughes won't want to go there - no way
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    1 Chelsea 20 29 45
    2 Man Utd 19 22 40
    3 Arsenal 18 27 38
    4 Tottenham 20 20 37
    5 Man City 19 11 35
    6 Aston Villa 20 11 35
    7 Liverpool 20 12 33
    8 Birmingham 20 2 32
    9 Fulham 19 5 27
    10 Sunderland 20 -3 23
    11 Everton 19 -6 22
    12 Stoke 19 -8 21
    13 Blackburn 20 -15 21
    14 Burnley 20 -18 20
    15 Wigan 18 -18 19
    16 Wolves 20 -19 19
    17 West Ham 20 -9 18
    18 Bolton 18 -10 18
    19 Hull 20 -22 18
    20 Portsmouth 19 -11 14

Well if Hughes /Curbs want a Prem job this season where else could they go ?

Burnley, Wigan, Wolves ,West Ham & Hull are the only ones that I can see possibly being available to them. On that basis Bolton looks a good bet for any wannabee Prem manager.
  • Options
    never ever ever liked bolton i hope they end up in the same boat as us in the not too distant future, one of very few clubvs outside of stripey,spanners and gooner shit that i really do hate
  • Options
    Joke sacking, IMHO, who do they think they are going to get that is much better than Megson? He kept them up last year easily and they just beat West Ham 3-1 and were 2-0 up against Hull so they are not that far off track anyway.

This has been done to appease the fans and that is always a mistake.
  • Options
    Megson does seem to generate hostility for some reason. I've known one Bolton fan for 15 years and he's always been a realist and very loyal to whoever's there- but from day one he detested Megson and wanted him out. Seemed to me Megson did OK at the Baggies but they were pleased to see the back of him as well. Good point by Sussex about Pardew, after his first full season West Ham fans just wouldn't believe me when I told them what a mess he had made and IMO we were in real trouble.