Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ok, so it's cold today but in the old days.....

I remember waking up and there being thick ice on the INSIDE of the windows.

Any more war stories from the "good" old days before central heating etc.

Comments

• Options
    dunno about old stories, but I've rarely felt as cold as I did this morning !!
  • Options
    first thin in morn toilet iced up and having to put the paraffin heater in there to warm up .....no reading the paper on loo in them days
  • Options
    I remember when we lived on Cherry Orchard Estate in Charlton having thick ice on the inside of my bedroom window and sleeping in multi-layers of clothes. It was actually warmer outside the flat.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you were to listen to my nan then she'd have you believe coats werent invented until about 15 years ago!....yet if i tried to go out without one she'd call me a soppy sod.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If you were to listen to my nan then she'd have you believe coats werent invented until about 15 years ago!....yet if i tried to go out without one she'd call me a soppy sod.

Coats! you were lucky. One coat and that had to double up as a blanket as well ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If you were to listen to my nan then she'd have you believecoatswerent invented until about 15 years ago!....yet if i tried to go out without one she'd call me a soppy sod.

Coats! you were lucky. One coat and that had to double up as a blanket as well ; - )

At least you had a cardie though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If you were to listen to my nan then she'd have you believecoatswerent invented until about 15 years ago!....yet if i tried to go out without one she'd call me a soppy sod.

At least you had a cardie though

I'm not stupid ; - )
  • Options

She was from the Isle of Bute in Scotland tho! The coldest place on earth.
  • Options
    It's been a long long time since we had a constant cold spell like this... but remember going to school in the 80's when they were icicles hanging down from pipes on the walls at school and heave snow that was at least 2ft?? Was that 17 yrs ago??
  • Options
    I cant remember it ever being cold but i am a bit younger then you lot im guessing, on this note thought i would mention sunday 6pm i got in my car and the inside of the windscreen had iced up, my cousin thought it must have a crack or hole somewhere although i have just been told would be from my breath either the night before or from openning the door lol weird stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if your breath can crack a windscreen, thats not the cold. Thats halitosis. ;-)
  • Options
    In the old days, when your dog had a crap, you just left it there. These days you have to pick it up in a bag, it makes a great pocket warmer. ;-0)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cold in bed?

I have my furry pussy to keep me warm, although it doesn't like being laid on.
  • Options
    It never gets properly cold in England go to Moscow then you know what cold is -18 it strips the skin from your face or feels like it anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It was so cold when I was a kid, that the toilet froze over. It's no fun when a turd comes bouncing back at you.

Not really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]It never gets properly cold in England go to Moscow then you know what cold is -18 it strips the skin from your face or feels like it anyway.

So you are not really Rupert, but Special Agent Russian1986 ........?

;o)
  • Options
    Soundas remembers the last Ice age.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Soundas remembers the last Ice age, hunting Woolly Mammoth.

Was that when we won the FA Cup ...?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Soundas remembers the last Ice age, hunting Woolly Mammoth.

Was that when we won the FA Cup ...?

Really bad winter when we won the FA Cup.

Could be an omen for this year.

Oh, yeah. Scrub that.
  • Options
    Sorry to upset you Oggy but the 80's were 30 years ago !!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine getting one of them old footballs in the goolies on a day like that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]It never gets properly cold in England go to Moscow then you know what cold is -18 it strips the skin from your face or feels like it anyway.

Tell me about it. I was out there in Feb a few years ago, never felt cold like it. Had a scarf wrapped around my face and my breath was freezing on it.
  • Options
    Not quite the war years but i remember a trip to Kenilworth Rd when David Whyte scored in a 1-0 win. Now that was a cold night!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

So you are not really Rupert, but Special AgentRussian1986........?

;o)

LOL na i was there watching football Oggy but nice idea mate :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]

Tell me about it. I was out there in Feb a few years ago, never felt cold like it. Had a scarf wrapped around my face and my breath was freezing on it.

I can imagine, especially this year cos when i was there it was about October i think and it was quiet cold enough but i have heard storys of what it can be like, does not sound pleasent.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the couple up in Jockland.

They went out on 16th Dec to buy a Turkey for Xmas dinner and haven't been able to get home yet!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][div class=Attachments id=Attachments_607279 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]Snowy Valley.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

I've played in worse
  • Options
    Was in Gdansk a couple of years ago in february and the sea was frozen. Daytime temp of -11 and nightime lows of -22
    Trust me it took your breath away.
  • Options
    Back in the 50's it would literally freeze up for weeks on end.....'every' winter there was ice on the pond in our garden a good 4 to 6 inches thick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]I feel sorry for the couple up in Jockland.

They went out on 16th Dec to buy a Turkey for Xmas dinner and haven't been able to get home yet!

lol seriously i hadnt herd of that how funny! as they're scottish i have no sympathy like they wouldnt if it was us!