Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ok, so it's cold today but in the old days.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Back in the 50's it would literally freeze up for weeks on end.....'every' winter there was ice on the pond in our garden a good 4 to 6 inches thick.

did u not attempt to iceskate on it? :-0
  • Options
    We just love to moan don we (the english i mean) probly because the whole country shuts down with just a little bit of snowfall even France runs proply France. They cant even run a decent service in the summer cos the strike most of the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Back in the 50's it would literally freeze up for weeks on end.....'every' winter there was ice on the pond in our garden a good 4 to 6 inches thick.

did u not attempt to iceskate on it? :-0

No jb, was it was too small to skate on but I certainly used to walk on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Sorry to upset you Oggy but the 80's were 30 years ago !!!!!!!!

Or only 20 years and 1 week ago ...... ?

Only a difference of 10 years, depending on your perspective, Golfie.

;o)
  • Options
    I remember the outside loo at my nan's house. Brrrr. Still having been brought up in Scotland I seem to be able to still function when it gets slightly chilly. Coldest I've been was in Finland. -20 and several inches of ice everywhere, with tracks cut in it. Roads were still open, and life went on. Unlike when there's a light dusting of snow in London. Some of the crazy viking bastards cut a big hole in the sea and jumped in. Quite fancied that, but bottled it :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If you were to listen to my nan then she'd have you believe coats werent invented until about 15 years ago!....yet if i tried to go out without one she'd call me a soppy sod.

Coats! you were lucky. One coat and that had to double up as a blanket as well ; - )
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If you were to listen to my nan then she'd have you believecoatswerent invented until about 15 years ago!....yet if i tried to go out without one she'd call me a soppy sod.

Coats! you were lucky. One coat and that had to double up as a blanket as well ; - )

At least you had a cardie though

I'm not stupid ; - )

Could we not put the last statement up for a CL vote? :-)
  • Options
    I remember when waking up in the morning with ice on the inside of the bedroom window, we used to wait for Mum or Dad to make the fire in the front room before we dare venture out of bed. If the fire didn't catch they would put sheets of newspaper across the chimney breast to 'draw' the fire. How more houses never caught fire in those days I'll never know!

Kids don't know the're born now, waking up to warm centrally heated houses!

Showing my age now!
  • Options
    Dont envy you lot!

Now back in Perth WA, where it has been around 38c today.

The snow around the valley for the m******l game now seems a distant memory!
  • Options
    Well it's a relatively warm -16 here this morning, coldest I have experienced here is -40 last winter but thankfully we have very low humidity, so it doesn't feel too cold - the snow is powdery & light which is why it's so nice to ski in. Don't envy you lot, the humidity makes even -1 absolutely bone chilling.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]I remember when waking up in the morning with ice on the inside of the bedroom window, we used to wait for Mum or Dad to make the fire in the front room before we dare venture out of bed. If the fire didn't catch they would put sheets of newspaper across the chimney breast to 'draw' the fire. How more houses never caught fire in those days I'll never know!

We still do that in Cornwall.

No gas in my village, except a few who've got expensive LPG or oil central heating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forget the freezing cold outside toilets, can you remember the rough (often newspaper) paper that you had to wipe your arse with? Course we were rich enough to afford newspaper, vinegar from the chips used to sting a bit though.
  • Options
    I've still got my old outside loo at the bottom of the garden, with it's cast iron "Plymouthia" cistern and chain.
    It still works.

It's delightful to ..... erm, use on a warm sunny morning.
    But I was happy to give it a miss today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I've still got my old outside loo at the bottom of the garden, with it's cast iron "Plymouthia" cistern and chain.
    It still works.

It's delightful to ..... erm, use on a warm sunny morning.
    But I was happy to give it a miss today.

Yeah, outside loos have sort of merged into a very handy bbq excesory.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Forget the freezing cold outside toilets, can you remember the rough (often newspaper) paper that you had to wipe your arse with? Course we were rich enough to afford newspaper, vinegar from the chips used to sting a bit though.

Ha,Ha, yes we used to have newspaper on a string. Can you imagine asking kids these days to wipe their arses with a copy of the Sun! We thought we were very rich on the odd occassion we could afford a roll of Jeyes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Can you imagine asking kids these days to wipe their arses with a copy of the Sun!

The Sun has only 2 uses:

1) To light the fire with.

2) To wipe your arse on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Can you imagine asking kids these days to wipe their arses with a copy of the Sun!

The Sunhas only 2 uses:

1) To light the fire with.

2) To wipe your arse on.

Can you light fires with it too?
  • Options
    I remember well the big freeze of 1963, lasted from Boxing Day to early March. My school in Bexleyheath never closed, I never missed a day and did a morning paper round before I went, the buses and trains all ran, the milkman delivered every day as did the postie and the coalman. Everyone just got on with it. Now look at us, a nation of bloody softies evertime there's a bit of friggin' snow on the ground.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]I remember well the big freeze of 1963, lasted from Boxing Day to early March. My school in Bexleyheath never closed, I never missed a day and did a morning paper round before I went, the buses and trains all ran, the milkman delivered every day as did the postie and the coalman. Everyone just got on with it. Now look at us, a nation of bloody softies evertime there's a bit of friggin' snow on the ground.

I remember that winter too ....... remember where they'd bulldozed the snow from the road into dirty great piles 3 feet high on the kerbside.? As little kids, we'd tunnel through it - by the time we'd finished, it looked like Gorgonzola cheese!
  • Options
    I went skiing last Saturday near my home here in Switz. and it registered -11 without taking the sodding wind into account, it was OK while I moved but as soon as I stopped it froze my nads off. For my birthday a few weeks ago I wanted to go skiing at Splügen but it dropped to -24 so I stayed put. -24 is particularly unfunny.