Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker V darts. Which one is a sport...

...or are both/neither of them?

For me I just can't think about darts as being a professional sport in the same way that I view snooker. It's more akin to pro-fishing in my mind i.e. a very popular hobby that some people just happen to be able to make a living out of.

I know we've got some fans of the arrows on here so fully expect some flack but (admitedly from a point of view of having never been to a darts match and seeing it live) the level of skill, control, mental agility and concentration over a long period of time involved means that where I have always seen snooker as a sport I don't think I could ever see darts in the same way. After all, for most of the time, you are just aiming at the same small piece of dartboard time after time. Niether of them involve fitness per se, although the days of Bill Werbeniuk seem to be behind us, but I just don't get darts as a sport. Convince me otherwise...

Comments

• Options
    I don't think either is a sport, but snooker involves considerably more skill and concentration.
  • Options
    It's a good debate.

If you discount darts and snooker because they don't involve physical exersion, where do you stop? Archery and shooting are Olympic sports and could face a similar argument. Where do you stop though? Where does that leave Motor Racing (F1).......
  • Options
    They are sports, shooting and fishing is sport so these two are. Just not physically exerting ones.

Darts is a million times more interesting to watch on TV, snooker is very dull and has been for years. O'Sullivan is the only 'entertainer'.
  • Options
    I always say, if it doesn't make you sweat and you can do it in a pub, it ain't a sport!
    Respect the skill in both darts and snooker though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]They are sports, shooting and fishing is sport so these two are. Just not physically exerting ones.

Darts is a million times more interesting to watch on TV, snooker is very dull and has been for years. O'Sullivan is the only 'entertainer'.

Id agree with you on all accounts there(for once), both are sports but more about skill and nothing to do with physical

I play snooker, cant stand watching it unless ronnie's on. earlier on fell asleep attempting to watch it lol and darts no matter whos playing is always good to watch
  • Options
    SiSi
    edited January 2010
    Both are officially sports (because by definition they require some physical skill or capability).

However, darts doesn't require any tactics, concentration, or athleticism, and - in my opinion - requires just a limited amount of skill compared to other sports. I can't think of any other 'sport' like it, so I tend to consider it as something else!

I like BA's pro-fishing comparison...
  • Options
    Both are not sports, they are games. Any games that originated in pubs or working mens clubs is not a sport. Also any game that cannot be played in the rain is NOT a sport, I cite Tennis and Cricket!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Neither...
  • Options
    neither. darts is just something for fat blokes to do, mmm maybe i should take it up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Neither...

whats ur argument with snooker?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Neither are a sport but Darts is a great game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]I always say, if it doesn't make you sweat and you can do it in a pub, it ain't a sport!

Didn't see much sweat at the valley for last two seasons either, but I think both ARE sports.
    Both require a great deal of concentration and put competitors under pressure and those at the top of the tree practice for upto 8 hours a day, nearly every day.
    Tactics also do play a part in both sports.
  • Options
    Both are Sports.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    What tactics are involved with darts? There may well be, but I genuinely can't think of how...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    What tactics are involved with darts? There may well be, but I genuinely can't think of how...

well only one i can think of is sometimes they play slower to put their opponents of, or them gee'ing up the crowd
  • Options
    Slow play, If you know your oppo can't go out on their next shot you may go for an easier score to leave yourself better placed for next time, in matches, picking certain players to go up against others, for example sacrificing your lesser player against the oppo's better players etc. Lacing the oppo's drinks!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Slow play, If you know your oppo can't go out on their next shot you may go for an easier score to leave yourself better placed for next time, in matches, picking certain players to go up against others, for example sacrificing your lesser player against the oppo's better players etc. Lacing the oppo's drinks!

Nah, you're clutching at straws there. Effectively you're saying the only tactic you can employ is to keep your oppo waiting an extra 20 secs or whatever. And then what? He just aims for the same place he was going to anyway. Snooker on the other had, you're not only thinking about the next 4-5 of your own shots but what you decide to do directly effects how the opponent reacts and the decisions they make. Still not convinced it's a sport.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]Both are officially sports (because by definition they require some physical skill or capability).

However, darts doesn't require any tactics, concentration, or athleticism, and - in my opinion - requires just a limited amount of skill compared to other sports. I can't think of any other 'sport' like it, so I tend to consider it as something else!

Si, doesn't the definition of sport also include physical exertion? In which case you could argue these aren't sports, by definition
  • Options
    Is bowls a sport?

Where do sports end and pastimes begin or vice versa?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Is bowls a sport?

Where do sports end and pastimes begin or vice versa?

I'd say yes because there's a large degree of physical skill involved and you are playing against somebody so then tactic's, etc, comes into it. It's just an old mans sport...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poker? It's on Sky Sports.

I think anything involving physical capability whether skill and/or exertion is a sport which includes Bowls, Rifle Shooting, Darts, Snooker etc.

Mental capability games such as cards, chess are pastimes.

Here's another thought - does there have to be competition? Is Jogging for health a sport or going to the gym?
  • Options
    surely the competitive part plays a big part.
    Would racing be a sport if you did it alone and for no reason?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]surely the competitive part plays a big part.
    Would racing be a sport if you did it alone and for no reason?

No, that would be riding and it would a dangerous sport (just ask your insurer). I'll give you the competitive part is a factor but poker's competitive too and that's not a sport.
  • Options
    So where does this leave Chess and Bridge?
  • Options
    SiSi
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]Both are officially sports (because by definition they require some physical skill or capability).

Si, doesn't the definition of sport also include physical exertion? In which case you could argue these aren't sports, by definition
    Okay, because I'm trying to avoid writing my phd and have spent most of the day trying to tart it up using the OED, here is what the good book says on the matter..:

A sport is: An activity involving physical exertion and skill, esp. (particularly in modern use) one regulated by set rules or customs in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

So Col, you are right in definition, but:

Exertion is: The action of exerting oneself; vigorous action; effort; an instance or mode of exerting oneself.

By the looks of the physical condition of those dart players, I would definitely say that they are exerting themselves, despite only the minimal effort involved. I expect for their bodies this is, in relative terms, a 'vigorous action'.

So you could argue that it's because of the unfitness of the people who play it, and not in spite of it, that makes darts a sport!

Good god this has taken my procrastination to a whole new level. Somebody shoot me.

P.S. The exertion in Chess/Bridge etc is probably a mental exertion.
  • Options
    Both are sports. Darts is fantastic, definately one of my top 3 favourite sports.
  • Options
    on the subject of snooker, i got a nice 43 break today in one frame format which is good. puts me 2nd in highest breaks for season lol

first match played today we all lost 3-nil, then won second 3-0nil and all played very well. sorry i know not on the subject just weel chuffed, cousin won 1st game of season at the 11th attempt! and my break and us winning 3-0nil happy days
  • Options
    darts is a sport in my eyes most of the top players practice 6-8 hours a day to get where they are.

i Play competitive darts a lot play about 6-10 opens a year played in both the masters and world championship qualifires.
    And it does require both concentration and tactics to play on the tactics side its not just slowing down and speeding up. You have to think about setting up shots so you dont leave a boogie number (one you cant finish on with the next throw). Knowing the different out shots takes time to learn as well. There is also more than just games of 501 there are a multitude of games that are played on the circuit as well eg. Cricket, Round the clock, shanghi, half it, there is a big torny callled the pentatholon that involves 20 players playing each other in about 10 different games over one day. it has been won by most of the greats over the years and is a fasinating day of darts to watch.

Its also one of the best nights out watching it live at one of the big tornys if anyone gets the chance to go to the o2 to watch the premier league darts do so you will have a great night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eddieaddick[/cite]darts is a sport in my eyes most of the top players practice 6-8 hours a day to get where they are..
    I'm not sure that I follow the idea that the pros practicing several hours a day makes it a sport. I could practice juggling all day but that doesn't make it a sport.
    [cite]Posted By: eddieaddick[/cite]
    And it does require both concentration and tactics to play on the tactics side its not just slowing down and speeding up. You have to think about setting up shots so you dont leave a boogie number (one you cant finish on with the next throw). Knowing the different out shots takes time to learn as well.
    And I really can't see how any of these are tactics either, sorry! It's just learning the rules and some basic maths, and then acting on the two. Nothing tactical, just common sense surely?
    [cite]Posted By: eddieaddick[/cite]
    Its also one of the best nights out watching it live at one of the big tornys if anyone gets the chance to go to the o2 to watch the premier league darts do so you will have a great night.
    I'll give you that though! They always look like great fun on the tele. Maybe I should try and check it out at the o2...
  • Options
    Everyone has there own opinions si and i have no problem with that. Do check out the darts at the o2 you wont regret it. It will be a cracking night. ANd you never know next year you might be watching me on the telly (well you never know lol)