Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laws not O'Driscoll to Burnley

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Terrible decision, they'd been better off going with Coppell or Southgate.

steady on mate - Law's isn't that bad
  • Options
    Brian Laws is a very good manager. Ever since scunny were in the second div in the sixties, they barely ever get into the third tier. He got them in twice and got them to the top of the tier 3 table with Keogh and Sharpe banging goals.

I'd love to see O'Driscoll get his chance, but let's face it he isn't pragmatic. He insists on playing football, maybe Burnley need that maybe they don't. But Laws get's an edge into his teams that O'Driscoll doesn't. I'm not sure O'Driscoll's management of Doncaster last seson would have worked in the prem. Bad patches in the prem can utterly destroy you, the champ was so woeful last year Donny's class outed post january. I'm glad as they are now my favourite team to watch after their Valley performance, but I'm not sure if adorable football without a bit of cut and thrust works in the prem. I hope it does as O'Driscoll is mint, and I'd love to see him in the prem.

Good to see as well that it looks like O'Driscoll respected his clubs position, unlike Coyle. Go Donny go, Donny be good!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Terrible decision, they'd been better off going with Coppell orSouthgate.

steady on mate - Law's isn't that bad

Well I suppose at least he hasn't got Palace on his CV.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Still only evens for relegation. I'm going to bet £4400 on it.
    I'm unsure as whether to bet or not...
    If it was 2.50 I'd probably go for it. 1.90 doesn't seem like quite good enough odds for me. With Portsmouth probably odds on to go down, it leaves two from Hull, West Ham, Wolves, Burnley, Wigan and Bolton...

It's Brian Laws. Put a bet on!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Bit of a left field appointment that one isn't it? Actually, I don't think he's that bad a manager, did well at Scunthorpe (laid the foundations that Adkins has built on) and di oaky at Sheff Weds under less than favourable circumstances..

He also got sacked by Grimsby.
    And i'd hardly call his time at Wednesday as doing ok. In 07/08 Laws got them off to their worst ever start to a season (losing 6 in a row) and they only stayed up on the last day.
    He won only 33% of his games in charge and was sacked with them in the relegation zone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I'm not sure if adorable football without a bit of cut and thrust works in the prem.

I think you only need to look at Arsenal for the answer to that question - beautiful on the eye but often lacking a bit of steel and nouse when it really matters.

Arsenal still do very well though because they can attract top drawer players. Burnley sadly do not have that luxury and as Curbs showed year after year, for a small club to survive long term in the top flight pragmatism is the only way to go.
  • Options
    It was funny when he threw a plate of chicken at Ivano Bonetti. I like managers that throw plates of chicken around.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's all very well small Prem clubs setting out to play an idealistic pure football gameplan.

All very well that is, untill you get outclassed by so many teams who have the resources and superior players that can play it better than you can.

And then again, many small Prem teams adopt "stop the other team playing at all costs" tactics of physically softening up opponents - what price trying to play pretty football against them, you have to battle ...... and in any case you don't have the big club superior players to outplay them consistantly.

Whoever had taken over Burnley would have known that this is a club with hopelessly small resources at this level.
    This season and every season would be a battle for survival.

So Burnley have appointed a man who started his career at Burnley, knows the area, the mentality of the fans and what's needed. That club are only interested in one thing, survival in the Prem.

And they believe Laws has the specific credentials to ensure that.
  • Options
    Laws is a poor manager but as you say Oggy hes a local bloke so hopefully he does ok and Burnley stay up i have allot of time for Burnley.