Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Sam

Comments

• Options
    yeah i was just thinking all this panic, but no source eg. newspaper or sky sports has picked up on this reported medical he is supposedly having today. which is rare that they wont be aware of it before its sealed so we will see...
  • Options
    Just maybe if we signed an out and out left winger Lloyd might find more space to attack because the opposition defence have to worry about both wings not just double mark our right wing. With Youga out we have had no pace on left side and i believe recent results reflect our one sided game.
  • Options
    I think sam will be a big loss, but its all about balancing th books I guess at levels below the prem its sell to survive. What about ysing moo2 right wing if sam goes. I know parky doesn't rate him at rb but if he's stil here and we're paying him.. we need to get vreative
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]I think sam will be a big loss, but its all about balancing th books I guess at levels below the prem its sell to survive. What about ysing moo2 right wing if sam goes. I know parky doesn't rate him at rb but if he's stil here and we're paying him.. we need to get vreative
    Parky doesn't rate him and doesn't believe he has the right character and attitude. They are probably the biggest reasons why Yassin has failed in his time here than anything else.
  • Options
    What Exiled said.

Sam may not be a prolific goalscorer although he has improved but he gets a hell of a lot of assists and in my view his qualty at this level is the difference between a chance of promotion and no chance.

It is evident he is on his way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

It is evident he is on his way.

wheres it evident len?
  • Options
    Len, how is it 'evident he is on his way'. The fact is there is no evidence.
  • Options
    History has shown that in January a move is talked about everybody says it won't happen and then it does.

I really hope you throw this back at me come the end of January but I fear you won't!
  • Options
    If he has to be sold then so be it - we have to acknowledge that we cannot afford to be too picky in our current plight - and getting money now or risk losing him for nothing then it is a no brainer IMO

Would be a shame to see him go BUT not irreplaceable.

However - if we want to get promoted we would need to invest in a replacement (Noone at Plymouth was a tasty winger)
  • Options
    Get the idea one or two folk are likening his 'possible' transfer to being akin to Reid or Jensen or Murphy.
    That's simply 'not' the case...quite an important player for us but he's 'not' critical IMHO...unlike Bailey or Burton or Semedo for example.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No further news yet.
    I'd have thought more reliable sources would have reported on it by now, if there was any truth.
    Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I'd rather we sell Sam than Bailey. Waggy can replace him, maybe, time will tell.
    If we get an offer for any of our players they will go. Club is losing money hand over fist. Sam will be on a highish salary so RM will be pleased to let him go.
    Sam can be good but is usually frustrating, so I'd not be devestated if he left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Get the idea one or two folk are likening his 'possible' transfer to being akin to Reid or Jensen or Murphy.
    That's simply 'not' the case...quite an important player for us but he's 'not' critical IMHO...unlike Bailey or Burton or Semedo for example.
    Not as critical as them no, but we won't replace him easily.

As for Puncheon and Noone, I'm really not convinced they are better than Sam at all or any more consistent. If they were that good they'd have probably been on the bench in the Championship Plymouth. I think Sam would get closer to the Plymouth team than either of them.

As I said we could probably replace him in the summer, but it's a lot harder in January to do that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Get the idea one or two folk are likening his 'possible' transfer to being akin to Reid or Jensen or Murphy.

But he is our principle ball player and creative outlet.

To lose him would seem to be a critical loss to me, Soundas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Not as critical as them no, but we won't replace him easily.

As for Puncheon and Noone, I'm really not convinced they are better than Sam at all or any more consistent. If they were that good they'd have probably been on the bench in the Championship Plymouth. I think Sam would get closer to the Plymouth team than either of them.

As I said we could probably replace him in the summer, but it's a lot harder in January to do that.

It's not as simple as to say that Puncheon isn't good enough to play for Plymouth (I'm sure u know that), as some Plymouth fans want to see him playing but off field issues, such as not liking the area, have affected his time the club. Shelvey and Racon are two of our biggest 'assets' yet they can't get in our team. I have decided that i don't believe this rumour and think A N Other will leave instead!
  • Options
    If Parky has a very good idea of who he wants then yes. Someone like Jon Paul-Mcgovern who's coming to the end of his contract at Swindon. Giles Barnes is out there and worth a short term contract as I can't see him ever getting a contract at Brum; yes wages could be a big issue there but he was Derby's factor in their promotion year.

Attack wise this team easily holds it's own in this div. It is not like the sale of Reid when all creativity and forward movement started with him. Sam has the platform to be doing much more in this div, and players won't be coming in to a team that can not provide the platform for success; Cook and Sinclair had no chance when they were so deep and not willing/expert foragers like Reid. Sam would be first on my team sheet if he was in my squad, but long term I would not be worried about him leaving. Ever since seeing him at Tottenham in that fateful 5-1 loss it is clear he has no game intelligence, congrats to him for becoming positionally solid and helping his fb in the last two seasons... but all too often he is dependent on defensive inadequacies and looseness to function positively. He doesn't make the teams offensive moments, but when the space is there often through break-downs he can hit a great cross without thinking. So frustrating to watch sometimes knowing he can cross early, but he won't unless a spontaneous instant makes the cross the only option. Cross to Mooney's header for Bailey against Southend springs to mind.

If we get close to a million plus then I'm happy with that, but he need's replacing with direct/pacey players and if we did that this team would improve no end. Basey is becoming more of a factor now with assists in the team, put pace in front of him and you'll have a combination few teams will live with in this div.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]It's not as simple as to say that Puncheon isn't good enough to play for Plymouth (I'm sure u know that), as some Plymouth fans want to see him playing but off field issues, such as not liking the area, have affected his time the club. Shelvey and Racon are two of our biggest 'assets' yet they can't get in our team. I have decided that i don't believe this rumour and think A N Other will leave instead!
    For point though equally I don't know how people know for sure Puncheon is an improvement on Sam, and a more consistent player, when all of us must have seen Sam a lot more than Puncheon.

Perhaps that's the problem, we see Sam so much so can easily get frustrated with him. When we've seen Puncheon or Noone we're concentrating on Charlton, but when they do something good it stands out. Fans of other teams often praise Sam, probably because they've not watched him closely so only notice the best bits.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't want Puncheon as a direct replacement for Sam. Sure if we got a right winger who can assist get Puncheon, but Sam is quite prolific in assists in even struggling teams Puncheon is not as consitent an assist player whilst being more inconsistent in general play as well. If we were balanced on both wings get him, if not no.
  • Options
    People that are going on about it being good business are not joining the dots. It would be good business for the club, sure, but for the team and fans it wouldn't be. With the club being a big sink hole into which the directors have been spunking their hard earned cash (often as a result of their own unfortunate decision making to be fair), you'd expect much of any income to go back to them. Anyone that anticipates any fee and salary saving being re-invested in sparkling talent is going to be disappointed, I reckon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Ever since seeing him at Tottenham in that fateful 5-1 loss it is clear he has no game intelligence,
    I'm not sure that's completely fair on him. Was over 3 years ago, we had Les Reed in charge who was struggling with motivating and managing the squad, it was one of his first starts for us, the team had no confidence and we had some poor and unreliable players. Wasn't he also playing slightly out of position, behind the strikers? (or was that just the Blackburn home game, I didn't go to the Spurs one, but did go when he started in the hole at home to Blackburn).

You're right in the idea he will never take control of games and get things going himself, but he's got a pretty decent all round game for a good League One/lower Championship winger. He's not a particularly intelligent player, but we've seen wingers far worse in that area here in the last few seasons. Not many League One and Championship wingers around that do all those things well, at least not consistently.

Not seen McGovern or Barnes so I don't know if they'd improve on him, if they are and Parky can get them then fair enough. It'll probably be a lot easier to do that in the summer than now though, whoever any replacement might be. That's why it might be worth keeping a settled right side with Sam and Wagstaff as backup, then if we lose him in the summer on a free there should be a fair few players out of contract that would love to come here, especially if we had won promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Guys,guys, calm down.
    Wait til we hear from Sam Lloyd.
    Then we'll know.........

You have to ask yourself this:- would he have wanted reassurance from me last April that I would once again be sponsoring his shirt this season if he was going to leave?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]It's not as simple as to say that Puncheon isn't good enough to play for Plymouth (I'm sure u know that), as some Plymouth fans want to see him playing but off field issues, such as not liking the area, have affected his time the club. Shelvey and Racon are two of our biggest 'assets' yet they can't get in our team. I have decided that i don't believe this rumour and think A N Other will leave instead!
    For point though equally I don't know how people know for sure Puncheon is an improvement on Sam, and a more consistent player, when all of us must have seen Sam a lot more than Puncheon.

Perhaps that's the problem, we see Sam so much so can easily get frustrated with him. When we've seen Puncheon or Noone we're concentrating on Charlton, but when they do something good it stands out. Fans of other teams often praise Sam, probably because they've not watched him closely so only notice the best bits.

Don't get me wrong Scoham i think most on here are hoping that Sam stays and many like me would like to see Puncheon simply because i think he could give us a spark, but i had similar hopes about McLeod and Varney!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]
    Then we'll know.........

You have to ask yourself this:- would he have wanted reassurance from me last April that I would once again be sponsoring his shirt this season if he was going to leave?
    But did he specify that it had to be a Charlton shirt?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]No further news yet.
    I'd have thought more reliable sources would have reported on it by now, if there was any truth.
    Fingers crossed.

If it is true and he was due there today for medical, then maybe the snow has delayed his getting there.

Can't see any mention of this deal anywhere else (usually Sky or BBC would report something if it's get as far as a medical). I'm guessing if Boro are in for him it'll be as a replacement for Johnson if they sell him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    Then we'll know.........

But did he specify that it had to be aCharltonshirt?

Well put it this way, I don't think I'll need to enquire about sponsoring his shirt at Boro and besides we've got as hot date around the 27th April ;-)
  • Options
    Then we'll know.........

Well put it this way, I don't think I'll need to enquire about sponsoring his shirt at Boro and besides we've got as hot date around the 27th April ;-)
    We have???
  • Options
    Get yer coat Chizz - you've pulled!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Get yer coat Chizz - you've pulled!

Lloyd Sam ...... let's hope he's shaved.

;o)
  • Options
    First Charlton Life wedding, i'll have to buy a hat like Cilla used too!
  • Options
    Then we'll know.........

We have???

I'll throw the line out, you reel them in lads ;-)