Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lloyd Sam

124»

Comments

• if sam goes.
    Wagstaff will be included more and that is not a good thing.
    Sam is easily Championship standard i expect him to move to a bigger club soon.
  • Parkinson started without any wingers in the game at home against Swindon, if memory serves me right. We had a diamond formation in midfield which seemed to be working well even when we were down to 10 men. Perhaps Parkinson sees Sam as expendable and a way of bringing some money in to get other much needed replacements. Maybe discussions regarding extending Sam's contract have already begun behind the scenes and have stalled, as he wants to wait to see the outcome of the season, so RM has decided to cash in while we can and get a replacement.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Ever since seeing him at Tottenham in that fateful 5-1 loss it is clear he has no game intelligence,[/quote]
    I'm not sure that's completely fair on him. Was over 3 years ago, we had Les Reed in charge who was struggling with motivating and managing the squad, it was one of his first starts for us, the team had no confidence and we had some poor and unreliable players. Wasn't he also playing slightly out of position, behind the strikers? (or was that just the Blackburn home game, I didn't go to the Spurs one, but did go when he started in the hole at home to Blackburn).
    [/quote]

It's not unfair on him, he can't read a game. One of the best games I've seen him play was Derby at home last season, but they had the worst defensive performance I've ever seen at the Valle, and Gray was picking the ball up deep laying it off and Sam could hit at pace. If he can't hit things at pace he rarely decides to step back and hit a cross early, whilst with Mooney's header he hit an amazing cross ten fifteen yards back from the box because he didn't have to think about it. Sometimes when he faces up that is what he should do, especially with Mooney, Burton or Akpo in the box.

Against Tottenham in the first thirty minutes we utterly dominated, they came onto us, Sam was playing behind Bent supposedly shifting between the inside right/left channel. Chimbonda was absolutely appalling, all over the place. Luke Young was superb and saw the space and attacked it running fifty yards about four or five times with ball. All the space was down the right hand side, but there was no one anywhere near Young when he broke. Sam had no one to pick up, was utterly free but not once did he get himself over to the right hand side to offer himself for a one two or even as a distraction. It was utterly absurd, he could see a huge space right next to him, after about the third time finally the bench said something to him and he still didn't bother getting into the huge cavern of space. When I saw him at Watford last season I was amazed at how disciplined he'd become defensively helping Semedo out, big congrats to him for that. But with his skill level and crossing ability in league one, he should be making things happen changing his game up especially when Richardson doesn't play. I haven't seen it and unfortunately can't see it ever happening. I think like Thomas and Ambrose, money offered for them should always be accepted. Whereas Elliot, Bailey, Burton or Dailly can't be replaced in this side.

I like Sam on the right, way over Thomas and Ambrose, he is reliable defensively and much more likely to assist in a pacey or paceless midfield. But his weaknesses are something the midfield posses one and all, and it needs fixing. I'd rather the solution be with him this season, but for finance reasons and football reasons I don't think it is a blow we can't overcome. Some people are indifferent about Wagstaff, but already this season I've seen him agressively gamble 50-50 situations more times than I've seen Sam in his whole career. Wagstaff is not the replacement for Sam atm but we need more offensive harrying in this squad. I don't know if Mcgovern does that but I do know in this div he'll provide as many assists as Sam, whilst he also is willing to put in first time ball more often than not... just ask sam sodje
  • I wonder if the return of Sinclair from his loan club means anything in terms of Sam's future? I believe he can play wide right?
  • I'm with those who see him as more expendable than Shelvey or Bailey, (or Racon too IMHO, if rumours of his tantrums have been exaggerated). I agree with those who feel he hasnt got a footballing brain, and he's had a long time to develop one. He's not a kid any more (Wagstaff still is, BTW).
    I had started to warm to him early on in the season, but his performance against Millwall was a good reason why we didnt win that one, and that still hurts.
  • shelvey hasnt really been part of our team in the last couple of months so to be honest i think he is expendable. he doesnt fit into our system this season. yes he is more expendable than bailey but just because he isnt our best player doesnt mean it wouldnt be a big mistake to let him go
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]I agree with those who feel he hasnt got a footballing brain
    Saying he hasn't got a football brain is harsh - there are plenty of players here and at other clubs that are far worse than him in that area.

I do agree it's one of his weaker areas, and yes he's not the fittest, the kind of player to make good runs or get into the box, which is really what Wagstaff is all about, but as a good League One/lower Championship winger he's a clever enough player. In fact there aren't that many players here I would say have a good football brain, Burton and Dailly the main ones, Jonjo at times and hopefully consistently in the future.

He won't take control of games, and I get the point about him having good games when the opposition are defending badly. I do get the feeling he doesn't like crossing early or from deep because he's got the skill and bit of pace to get into another position (of course it's not always a better position). Generally slower wide players aren't good at that so have to cross earlier, Sam probably hasn't through a mixture of the way he plays and what he's been told and coached to do.
  • Has there actually been any other site reporting this apart form a Boro fan site?

From what I remember Bailey was meant to join Boro last summer, let's hope it's just stays another rumour.
  • dont really want to lose anyone but if it enabled parky to wheel and deal a bit it might be worth it.im a big fan of barnard at this level would love to see him playin for the reds.we also need to strengthen at centre back and left and right midfield if sam goes.to be honest would going to boro be a good move since strachans taking over they have been awful .from his point of view he might be better off waiting till the summer and see what happens unless he is gettin a massive wage increase silly money 15,000 a week then he cant turn it down
  • As a winger and a player who plays very wide he really needs good service - maybe it's me but his form really dipped when Richardson got injured. Those two linked well and he needs a RB who'll get forward and give him something to work on.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]First Charlton Life wedding, i'll have to buy a hat like Cilla used too!

Can i be best man hahahahahaha that even made me laugh.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Has there actually been any other site reporting this apart form a Boro fan site?

From what I remember Bailey was meant to join Boro last summer, let's hope it's just stays another rumour.

No and Boro have just signed 3 players from Celtic, 2 of those being midfielders !
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Has there actually been any other site reporting this apart form a Boro fan site?

No and Boro have just signed 3 players from Celtic, 2 of those being midfielders !

According to "rumour" Bailey wasn't renewing the lease on his house when it expired and had told the estate agent he wasn't interested in finding another property.

Two weeks into the transfer window and he's still with the club...
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Has there actually been any other site reporting this apart form a Boro fan site?

"Willo" Flood is a right-winger so that hot date I was talking about is still on - isn't it?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]According to "rumour" Bailey wasn't renewing the lease on his house when it expired and had told the estate agent he wasn't interested in finding another property.

Two weeks into the transfer window and he's still with the club...

...... and will be for the next 18 days:

Charlton Athletic FC transfer policy
    No player sold in the January window until 23:55 on 31/01/10
  • Scored a great goal yesterday, was ranked no 7 on ESPN Sport Centre's top ten moments of the day - pretty good going considering it was an NFL Sunday !