Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Major Earthquake in Haiti

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
RIP all those who have dided or losr loved ones !!

Comments

• RIP, my heart goes out to any that were involved & their families
  • JTJT
    edited January 2010
    Pretty mad

_47098386_composite_palace_ap_afp.jpg
  • True - and that picture is shocking, but I'd be more worried about the 99.99% of people who live in abject poverty there than the presidential palace
  • Totally agree Leroy, was just showing the force of the quake.
  • My old uni did some charity work in Haiti....supplying kids with old football kits etc. Just pray it didnt affect them.

SRU Soccer Haiti Relief Effort 2008
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Totally agree Leroy, was just showing the force of the quake.
    Yeah - wasn't necessarily having a go, just wanted to put some perspective on it. The situation is Haiti is a disgrace - so close to the US and one of the poorest countries in the world.
  • Must have been very bad because, according to BBC breakfast news Haiti is now an island. Either that, or my licence fee is being squandered on idiots.
  • Shit this looks evil that pic is quiet disturbing.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Totally agree Leroy, was just showing the force of the quake.
    Yeah - wasn't necessarily having a go, just wanted to put some perspective on it. The situation is Haiti is a disgrace - so close to the US and one of the poorest countries in the world.

Your right, the situation is a disgrace. The one thing i always noticed is the people that are subjected to the most horrific conditions never let it show. Constantly smiling and extremely polite.
    I know its cliche but it puts our moaning into perspective.
  • Surely the club will let some charity collectors in the ground - this is horrendous and seems to be under a lot of radars. When you consider the response to 9/11 in which a fraction of this number died; it reeks of hypocrisy.

It's actually making me resent the Help for Heroes day v Orient. Ultimately they chose to be in the army and knew the risks. Arguably they could have opted out of what many think was an illegal war. These people are innocent civillians. Tragic.
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Surely the club will let some charity collectors in the ground - this is horrendous and seems to be under a lot of radars. When you consider the response to 9/11 in which a fraction of this number died; it reeks of hypocrisy.

It's actually making me resent the Help for Heroes day v Orient. Ultimately they chose to be in the army and knew the risks. Arguably they could have opted out of what many think was an illegal war. These people are innocent civillians. Tragic.

I don't know why I rise to this but here you go.

How about YOU contact the club and organise a collection rather than waiting for others to. Go on, stop whinging and start acting. And before you say I've already arranged a raffle prize from Charlton for a raffle/auction at Hurstmere School for the Earthquake fund.

Why drag Help for Heroes into this. We know you don't like it as a cause but this is not a X Factor talent show where the top disaster is voted on and the most heartbreaking wins.

Truly pathetic and only reflects badly on you not anyone at Charlton or in the Army or in Haiti.

Comment over.
  • I would assume a lot of posters on here have donated privately already without making a big song and dance about it.

God love those poor people.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Surely the club will let some charity collectors in the ground - this is horrendous and seems to be under a lot of radars. When you consider the response to 9/11 in which a fraction of this number died; it reeks of hypocrisy.

I don't know why I rise to this but here you go.

How about YOU contact the club and organise a collection rather than waiting for others to. Go on, stop whinging and start acting. And before you say I've already arranged a raffle prize from Charlton for a raffle/auction at Hurstmere School for the Earthquake fund.

Why drag Help for Heroes into this. We know you don't like it as a cause but this is not a X Factor talent show where the top disaster is voted on and the most heartbreaking wins.

Truly pathetic and only reflects badly on you not anyone at Charlton or in the Army or in Haiti.

Comment over.

Ooo get you!

I have contacted the club, as per the other thread. Not sure what your problem is, but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about something.

I'm simply looking for clarity over why some seemingly less worthy causes get the attention that others don't. don't know why you have to make it so personal.

Well done for arranging the prize. Was that maybe the purpose of your rant; to let us all know what a nice man you are?
  • I dont know about less worthy but would some causes being closer to home make a difference?
  • I thought of that Keston and it's an interesting point, but as I say 9/11 was acknowledged with a minutes silence.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Surely the club will let some charity collectors in the ground - this is horrendous and seems to be under a lot of radars. When you consider the response to 9/11 in which a fraction of this number died; it reeks of hypocrisy.

I don't really like comparing one worthy cause to another, so I'll not comment on that, but are you sayting the club will not allow charity collectors to operate for this appeal?
  • Not at all McLovin, I am hopeful they will at some point. I'm waiting for the club to respond to an email to see what they think. I just think it strange that no minute's silence has been mentioned, when it is for other events like 9/11.

I'm not bashing the club as Henry seems to think I am. Just curious to know what the club may be doing for this awful tragedy. I'm just asking the question and I'm interested in other peoples' views as to what a suitable response would be and if it's no response, then why people feel that may be the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah right. In that case I can't see any issue to be honest. If a charity wants to collect I'm sure the club would allow them to do so.

It's a terrible thing, but I don't think a third tier team (or any team for that matter), to be doing a minute's silence. Cards on the table I don't like all the grief tourism that seems to pervade everythng these days. As Curb-It says, people can and doubtlessly have contributed in some private way. A silence is of no practical benefit and it's nice and easy to do. It doesn't show anybody cares - the organisations running them or the people that take part. With so many things happening in the world, there could be endless merry-go-round of meaningless tributes, we could end up like scousers.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]we could end up like scousers.

Ha Ha! Very good.

I think it's an interesting discussion to know where we should draw a line so we don't end up like scousers and I agree that minutes silences or applause are pretty meaningless in such circumstances. Nice on a personal level like the Tranmere game, but not going to help house a family of Haitians!

I just felt and I must admit was frustrated by the seemingly scarcity of discussion or debate and low profile this event has, both generally and in smaller communities such as CAFC. Not having a go at the club and not saying I'm right, just expressing my honest opinions and keen to know what others thought.

I thought I had posted the response from the club I recieved, but I've either put it on the wrong thread, or hit the wrong button. Anyway, the club have confirmed by email that they will be doing something to promote the cause but aren't sure as yet what exactly. So great news and if any Lifers have any ideas the club are ready to listen. I've asked Steve Waggot if I can paste his response to my email on here.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I would assume a lot of posters on here have donated privately already without making a big song and dance about it.

God love those poor people.

Exactly!

Horrific as this is (I have had to stop watching on the news as it's just awful to witness) I'm not sure why AshTray seems to think it's the sole responsibility of CAFC to raise money for it. Get off your backside and do something yourself as I and many others have.
  • AshTray I couldn't quite get the 'resent The Help for Heroes' comment...a bit strange don't you think...both causes are justified and what do you want the club to do...ditch the long planned for Help for Heroes Day in favour of a Haiti appeal?
    You take your choice, there are many ways you can give money to the Haitian appeal instead of Help for Heroes if that's what you'd prefer.....no one would blame you, it's your choice but to say you resent Help for Heroes is very odd to say the least.
    Not sure what you're driving at to be honest....had you thought it through?
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Surely the club will let some charity collectors in the ground - this is horrendous and seems to be under a lot of radars. When you consider the response to 9/11 in which a fraction of this number died; it reeks of hypocrisy.

If anyone wishes to donate, go to the Oxfam website, it takes about 5 minutes to enter your details. I donated a few days after the quake and it is secure. Also, if you have a Pay Pal account which you use for Ebay, you can donate safely with them although I'm unsure whether they collect the Government Charity Tax payment .

I urge every kind and considerate person to donate asap to help these poor people.
  • I think AshTray might have been a bit misunderstood here.

As I see it, he is simply pointing out that some 'tragedies'/causes seem to take prominence over others, and that the size and extent of the tragedy does not often correspond with the public response to it.

His 9/11 vs. Haiti comparison is pertinent here; suggesting that atrocities involving third world countries always seem to be at the bottom of the pile in terms of public reaction and response.

Personally, I think he has a point.
  • Si, I think you're right, but I guess Ash can speak for himself. However I do think the reason that 9/thing does illicit a different reaction is maybe because it was caused by humans, but then again, you're probably right.

This thread raises some interesting points. It crystalises in my mind while I was a bit uncomfortable with the Charlton Upbeats thing. Great programme, and it was nice seeing the benefit of our community scheme but the way that it was preseneted on the show was to pit that (great cause) against other good causes, essentially for the amusement of the viewing public.
  • Why have another dig at the club doing something for Help the Heroes Ash Tray ? as you already said in the thread "help for Heroes" you wont be supporting it. That is your right and many people died to give you that right . You clearly have an agenda re H4H.

IMO the fact that the RA are part of our community and have been since 1780 the club should have done something far earlier. Or are they not the part of the community you wish to recognise ?

If you want to do something for Haiti then do it. My wife and i took 4 large bags of clothes to Oxfam at Blackheath this week, what will it do in the big picture ? naff all but we still did it .
  • Almost as staggering as the devastation is the BEFORE comparison between that grandiose, plush-looking White House rival Palace and the abject poverty and shacks that were doubtlessly a mile or so out of shot.
  • that little lad has now raised 110k for haiti. Power of the internet is amazing.

charlie