Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

BAD SAMARITAN
    David Tennant as the baddie !
    Good thriller story and every time you think you have guessed the next bit - you are wrong.
    8/10.

If you like DT as a baddie, catch the first season of Jessica Jones. Tennant gives the best TV performance of any actor for quite some years.
  • Options

Finally, finally finally

Got Round to seeing the original Bladerunner movie, what a load of old tosh!

Finally, finally finally

Got Round to seeing the original Bladerunner movie, what a load of old tosh!

I don’t know about tosh but it’s certainly one of the most overrated “Cult” films I've ever seen .
    Forgive them, Father, they know not what they watch.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

A Quiet Place

I loved it. The concept is simple and there's plenty of room for questioning logic/behaviour but I implore anyone who watches it to not do that. Just go with it. Smaller in scale than I imagined, which is a good thing, but if I have any criticism it's that, despite being rather creepy cos of the lack of sound, the film tends to rely on jump scares (I don't respect jump scares very much, anything can be a jump scare if you whack 1.5 seconds of loud violins on top). Still, it's a minor quibble because the atomsphere is so well crafted.

Writer/ director/ star Krasinksi (now available in Jack Ryan form) can emote extremely well, even with a beard and no sound, and the kids are incredibly convincing. The daughter was amazing casting. It's nice and short (about 95 mins) so it doesn't come close to outstaying its welcome. In fact, I thought it was only an hour long until I checked!

Thoroughly recommend.

4/5.

Pretty much agree with that except for two things. I don't think it relied on jump scares (there wasn't much if any quiet-quiet-quiet-bang that I remember) and I'm more inclined to give it closer to 5/5. It's my film of the year so far.
    That nail scene though . Wow
  • Options
    A quiet place wins the award for trailer that I have watched and convinced me not to watch the film as it will make me jump like a little girl. And probably shit myself

28 days later scared the piss out of me, As good a film as it was I have grown very girly towards horror films. If you are going to watch one then immerse yourself. Sound up, lights off and lighten your load

I'm going to watch a quiet place this weekend
  • Options
    I really enjoyed BlacKkkclansman. Loved the overall look and feel of the film. I thought Adam Driver was great and produced a lot of the tension that was in the film. Really didn’t need extra material in the end, Director Spike Leeneeds to trust the audience more.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

I really enjoyed BlacKkkclansman. Loved the overall look and feel of the film. I thought Adam Driver was great and produced a lot of the tension that was in the film. Really didn’t need extra material in the end, Director Spike Leeneeds to trust the audience more.

I thought the extra material was justified - it amply demonstrated that a lot of these issues are still present. Sometimes a film needs to be political.
  • Options

Shrew said:

I thought the extra material was justified - it amply demonstrated that a lot of these issues are still present. Sometimes a film needs to be political.
    I understand that , but to me the art of filmmaking is to get people to think, and the Film did that fine without the additions.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Shrew said:

I understand that , but to me the art of filmmaking is to get people to think, and the Film did that fine without the additions.
    I think either way it would have worked - I understand why he felt the need to include it.
  • Options
    Going to watch The Nun tomorrow

Been looking forward to this since The Conjuring 2 and we saw "The Nun" in that film you just knew she was gonna play a big part in whatever came next
  • Options
    Blackkkk

My son had already seen it but insisted i go with him before the game yesterday for him to see it again.
    Funny in places and very thought provoking. I enjoyed it and have ordered the book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMERICAN ANIMALS

Entertaining film about a heist that goes wrong. It's about an attempted robbery by a group of students bored of their everyday life that goes wrong and it's intercut with interviews with the real members of the gang. A very effective format and extremely watchable.

The cast are excellent.8.5/10
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    THE NUN

Gutted I am writting this as a massive fan of the horror genre and someone who loves The Conjuring I was so looking forward to this movie, The nuns appearence in The Conjuring 2 and Lorraines vision that the nun would kill Ed meant we all knew a film was gonna be released to tell us about The Nun and her back story however I expected a lot more than what we got.

Anyway onto the movie, If you have seen the trailer then you have seen the best part and the scariest part, the movie was so bland, not much action and surprising very little actually seen with The Nun itself.

Still looking forward to The Conjuring 3 and hope that with Ed and Lorraine Warren back in the film we might see some more action

3/10
  • Options
    The Predator

I am a huge, huge fan of the franchise (not the AVP movies). Even though each movie effectively ignores the other sequels, I love them all the same. I also like Shane Black - his scripts are incredibly smart - but that said, I was worried a Black movie would be just that, rather than a Predator movie. And to some extent that's what's happened.

I don't want to pot any plot details at all, I benefited from knowing nothing, all I'll say is... it's a bit of a mess (extensive reshoots right up until a month or two back have a lot to do with that) and while I respect Black's attempts to expand the mythos, I felt like he's gone in the wrong direction. I like that it acknowledges the hugely underrated Predator 2, which I thought did a fantastic job of expanding the original backstory without going too far. Here though... he doesn't once achieve close to the tension I suffered from during either of the first two Predator movies. For me, that's what defined them, way more than the checklist Black has gone through.

I can't write much without spoiling it. I'l just say... If you're as big a fan of the first three as I am.... well, lower your expectations and you might well enjoy it as a popcorn comedy/ horror/ thriller!

2.5/5

• Options

THE NUN

Gutted I am writting this as a massive fan of the horror genre and someone who loves The Conjuring I was so looking forward to this movie, The nuns appearence in The Conjuring 2 and Lorraines vision that the nun would kill Ed meant we all knew a film was gonna be released to tell us about The Nun and her back story however I expected a lot more than what we got.

Anyway onto the movie, If you have seen the trailer then you have seen the best part and the scariest part, the movie was so bland, not much action and surprising very little actually seen with The Nun itself.

Still looking forward to The Conjuring 3 and hope that with Ed and Lorraine Warren back in the film we might see some more action

3/10

Probably wouldn't have planned to see this at the cinema but sounded like my kind of film until I heard Mark Kermode's views last night.

He said he likes a good horror film but not as much as his son, so agreed to accompany him to watch it.

Both kept their counsel until they left the cinema when Kermode senior asked junior what he thought ......

The consensus was that it was very disappointing with the only "jump" moment being when Mark dozed off during the screening and awoke with the usual embarrassing jolt !
  • Options
    Hurricane

Has anybody seen this film about the Polish pilots during the Battle of Britain? It has been shown anywhere near me from what I can see.

Had the same problem with getting to see the Spitfire documentary as the nearest screening was 70 miles away! I had to drive 60 miles to see TT 3D Closer to the Edge but I ain't doing that for every film I want to see.
  • Options
    BlacKkKlansman

The true-ish story of Ron Stallworth, a black undercover detective in the 1970s who managed to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan with the help of his Jewish colleague, in an era where David Duke was attempting to sanitise the Klan's surface image for mainstream consumption.

When the trailer for this one came out, I was excited to see it. After some quite poor efforts, I thought Spike Lee's CHI-RAQ was a return to the kind of form he showed in his earlier works. Even though I don't know hardly anyone that saw/gave a shit about it, I thought it was funny, fresh and weird, and so I was hoping for more of the same from his latest offering.

However, I heard feedback from two separate friends who had been left disappointed by BlacKkKlansman, weirdly (considering the director and the premise of the film) because they found it's political message was quite tepid. So I went into the film with mixed feelings.

I think going into a Spike Lee film with mixed feelings is perfect, because almost all his works, the great and the less-great, are a big old mixed-up mixed-bag of things. It was in parts funny, grim, fresh, stale, informative, exploitational, sensitive and a lot of other things in between. It was way too long, but all the packed-in asides that made the film too long were my favourite parts. The style and tone of the film changed sharply from scene to scene; it makes me feel weird, but also makes the film surprising and refreshing. There were a lot of really funny moments, placed beside scenes of flatly grim racism; at what point am I meant to stop finding the comically-dumb racist laughable and start feeling sick? I feel both, and it's disconcerting, and I like it.

For me, the main undercover detective narrative of the film is where it felt a bit flat. Despite a lot of opportunity for nail-shredding tension (Jewish undercover cop in the Lion's Den of the KKK, with his black partner and mastermind never outside the sphere of immediate danger) the film only a couple of times delivered on that front. Watching the Charlottesville footage at the end I realised that this was the first time I'd been fully gripped over the course of two hours. Therefore I think it probably works better as a comedy than a suspense thriller.

I also get some of the political criticisms that the film had thrown its way. Luckily I hadn't read the 'real' (or 'real 'real'') Ron Stallworth's book, but as I understand it a large portion of the film is invented, and a lot of the dirt involving the police and his own political identity had been scoured from the skin of the story, leaving a potato that's just a bit too clean. And for a Spike Lee film, I had hoped for something a little more subversive.

But you can't have it all, and overall I thought there was more good than bad, and the cast were uniformly great. It probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, or maybe anyone's cup of tea in its entirity. But sometimes it's good to have a cup of tea with some flavours in that you're not sure about.

• Options
    Recently seen Cold War and Puzzle.

Both excellent.
  • Options
    Just watched DEADPOOL 2 - it’s way , way too long , has its moments but too few times make it any good . Disappointed
  • Options

Hurricane

Has anybody seen this film about the Polish pilots during the Battle of Britain? It has been shown anywhere near me from what I can see.

Had the same problem with getting to see the Spitfire documentary as the nearest screening was 70 miles away! I had to drive 60 miles to see TT 3D Closer to the Edge but I ain't doing that for every film I want to see.

The only place I could find where it was playing was at the Genesis cinema in Mile End. I've been meaning to check that place out for a while so might go one evening after work this week. It looks like it's on very limited release, but it will be on Amazon Prime next month if you can't get to a cinema.
  • Options

Just watched DEADPOOL 2 - it’s way , way too long , has its moments but too few times make it any good . Disappointed

I enjoyed it more, but understand you on this. It really lacks the surprise of the original. And the early twist was a real shame as she was key to the first movie working.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Recently seen Cold War and Puzzle.

Both excellent.

Recently saw Cold War and agree it was excellent and very thought provoking. Pawel Pawlikowski’s other recent film Ida is also very good.
  • Options
    Couple of months old now but I watched Tag today.

I actually really liked it.
    It doesn't take itself to seriously, its an easy watch and nobody is going to get lost with the plot.

Comedy's should be kept short, which this does at just over 90 minutes and rather unique for films lately, the best bits are not all in the trailer.

A decent enough choice if you're looking to switch your brain off and eat your body weight in popcorn.
  • Options
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post

A very low key film about a Christian retreat that attempts gay conversion therapy on troubled teenagers. Film is set in 1993 and looks at the attitudes of evangelical christians towards homosexuality and how f***ed up those running the conversion therapy are.

Chloe Moretz is excellent in the lead role.
    8/10
  • Options
    Popstar.

Watch it. On Netflix. Right now.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Popstar.

I can’t I’m at work ..
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Popstar.

I can’t I’m at work ..
    Semantics, unless you drive for work or operate heavy machinery.

It's one of those purposefully bad so it's good films, great if you like Andy Samberg.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Popstar.

I can’t I’m at work ..
    Semantics, unless you drive for work or operate heavy machinery.

It's one of those purposefully bad so it's good films, great if you like Andy Samberg.
    Not quite selling it there Dazzle
  • Options
    Hotel Transylvania 3

probably too late for this but I caught it last weekend, and immediately regretted it. The audience (what there was of it anyway) reaction was to munch popcorn and gape - there were no laugh out loud moments, it was largely unfunny and lacked the surprise elements of the first one. I assume any jokes they had are being saved for installment 4 as they didn't use any in this one. It's rubbish.
    3/10
  • Options
    C'Est La Vie - a French film, natch, about an events manager organising a wedding in a chateau for an objectionable client. Chaos at every turn. Very funny. The audience I saw it with laughed out loud for long periods of the film - a rarity nowadays.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Popstar.

Enjoyed this when I saw it a few months back. If you like Andy Samberg and Brooklyn 99 etc you'll enjoy it.