Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Nadou said:

Blucher said:

Cold War (Poland)

The story follows the fortunes of two star-crossed lovers against the backcloth of post-War Europe and the ideological conflict of the Cold War. An interesting film with great cinematography and a luminous performance from Joanna Kulig as the co-lead. 'Cold War' has garnered a raft of 5-star reviews although, in my view, it falls some way short of Pawlikowski’s previous film, the outstanding ‘Ida’ - 7/10.

A Fantastic Woman (Chile)

I caught up with this film earlier this month and see that Sky Premiere have now acquired the rights. A young transgender woman finds herself facing hostility from both the authorities and her lover’s relatives when dies unexpectedly. An unusual, important and thought-provoking film, anchored by a magnetic performance from the lead - 8/10.

Faces Places (France)

Filmmaker Agnes Varda (a stalwart of the French New Wave and now 90) joins forces with JR, a street artist and photographer to roam the French countryside in his van, taking and exhibiting extraordinary, outsized photos of all who venture inside it. The film was shortlisted for the Best Documentary Oscar and it is certainly a highly original and interesting piece of work - 7/10.

A Man Called Ove (Sweden)

Ove is an archetypal angry old man who spends his days enforcing block association rules that no one cares about and visiting his wife’s grave, until an unlikely friendship develops and his life takes a new path. A beautifully crafted, tender and offbeat film - very funny and a perfect mix of humour and pathos. I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the best-selling novel by Fredrik Backman (which I'd also thoroughly recommend).

I saw this at film club at the end of April and it garnered the highest audience score of our 18-film season. 'A Man Called Ove' also went on to win the Film Society ‘Film of the Year Award’ earlier this month, based on votes from film societies and community cinemas across the UK. It is (or certainly was) on Amazon Prime and is very well worth seeing if you get the chance - 9/10.

The Rider (USA)

A young rodeo star suffers a serious head injury and has to try to come to terms with the fact that he can never compete again, working instead as a horse trainer. A quiet and sensitive drama, whose quasi-documentary feel is enhanced by the use of non-professional actors, including the lead. It is a very accomplished film, if a little sobering and grim - 7/10.

The Wife (USA/UK)

A woman (Glenn Close) who has, for many years, sacrificed her own creative talents in support of her husband, re-evaluates her position on a trip to Sweden where he is due to collect the Nobel prize for Literature. I saw this at the film society screenings and thought it was reasonably good, albeit not something that would have tempted me out to the cinema - 7/10.

Glad you finally got to see and enjoy A MAN CALLED OVE, Blucher. Certainly one of the best films I've seen this year.
    Yes, I think it was your original recommendation, @Nadou. The book was a best seller in the USA and so the Hollywood remake inevitably follows - starring one Tom Hanks. Rather like the USA remake of 'Toni Erdmann' - to star Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig - it's quite impossible to see how they can match, let alone better, the original.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Nadou said:

Blucher said:

Cold War (Poland)

The story follows the fortunes of two star-crossed lovers against the backcloth of post-War Europe and the ideological conflict of the Cold War. An interesting film with great cinematography and a luminous performance from Joanna Kulig as the co-lead. 'Cold War' has garnered a raft of 5-star reviews although, in my view, it falls some way short of Pawlikowski’s previous film, the outstanding ‘Ida’ - 7/10.

I caught up with this film earlier this month and see that Sky Premiere have now acquired the rights. A young transgender woman finds herself facing hostility from both the authorities and her lover’s relatives when dies unexpectedly. An unusual, important and thought-provoking film, anchored by a magnetic performance from the lead - 8/10.

Faces Places (France)

Filmmaker Agnes Varda (a stalwart of the French New Wave and now 90) joins forces with JR, a street artist and photographer to roam the French countryside in his van, taking and exhibiting extraordinary, outsized photos of all who venture inside it. The film was shortlisted for the Best Documentary Oscar and it is certainly a highly original and interesting piece of work - 7/10.

Ove is an archetypal angry old man who spends his days enforcing block association rules that no one cares about and visiting his wife’s grave, until an unlikely friendship develops and his life takes a new path. A beautifully crafted, tender and offbeat film - very funny and a perfect mix of humour and pathos. I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the best-selling novel by Fredrik Backman (which I'd also thoroughly recommend).

I saw this at film club at the end of April and it garnered the highest audience score of our 18-film season. 'A Man Called Ove' also went on to win the Film Society ‘Film of the Year Award’ earlier this month, based on votes from film societies and community cinemas across the UK. It is (or certainly was) on Amazon Prime and is very well worth seeing if you get the chance - 9/10.

The Rider (USA)

A young rodeo star suffers a serious head injury and has to try to come to terms with the fact that he can never compete again, working instead as a horse trainer. A quiet and sensitive drama, whose quasi-documentary feel is enhanced by the use of non-professional actors, including the lead. It is a very accomplished film, if a little sobering and grim - 7/10.

The Wife (USA/UK)

A woman (Glenn Close) who has, for many years, sacrificed her own creative talents in support of her husband, re-evaluates her position on a trip to Sweden where he is due to collect the Nobel prize for Literature. I saw this at the film society screenings and thought it was reasonably good, albeit not something that would have tempted me out to the cinema - 7/10.

Glad you finally got to see and enjoy A MAN CALLED OVE, Blucher. Certainly one of the best films I've seen this year.
    Yes, I think it was your original recommendation, @Nadou. The book was a best seller in the USA and so the Hollywood remake inevitably follows - starring one Tom Hanks. Rather like the USA remake of 'Toni Erdmann' - to star Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig - it's quite impossible to see how they can match, let alone better, the original.
    Disappointing to hear that Toni Erdmann is getting a US remake - the original is a pretty unique film that doesn't need to be remade. One of the most memorable films I've seen.
  • Options

Blucher said:

Nadou said:

Blucher said:

Cold War (Poland)

Faces Places (France)

The Rider (USA)

The Wife (USA/UK)

Disappointing to hear that Toni Erdmann is getting a US remake - the original is a pretty unique film that doesn't need to be remade. One of the most memorable films I've seen.
    I thought that about The Secret In Their Eyes. A feeble attempt to remake it at least led to more people knowing about the original. Whether they watched it is a different matter I suppose!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Blucher said:

Nadou said:

Blucher said:

Cold War (Poland)

Faces Places (France)

The Rider (USA)

The Wife (USA/UK)

I thought that about The Secret In Their Eyes. A feeble attempt to remake it at least led to more people knowing about the original. Whether they watched it is a different matter I suppose!
    The trouble is a large part of the population in both the UK and US won't watch foreign language films...
  • Options

Blucher said:

Nadou said:

Blucher said:

Cold War (Poland)

Faces Places (France)

The Rider (USA)

The Wife (USA/UK)

I agree - Toni Erdmann was my favourite film of 2016/17.

I read that Jack Nicholson saw the original, was a huge fan and persuaded Paramount to acquire the rights. He is going to play Toni Erdmann in his first film since 2010 or thereabouts. Ironically, when asked about the possibility of an American remake at the London Film Festival in 2016, the director and writer, Mare Ade, initially scoffed at the idea, citing the need to lose an hour from the 162 minute running time and the the loss of freedom which she enjoys in Europe, both artistically and as her own producer. Ultimately, however, I guess that Paramount's offer was too good to refuse.

I agree that a lot of people still have an aversion to foreign language films, although I think that the screening of 'Scandi Noir' and other foreign language series on BBC and Netflix during the last 5 or 6 years has encouraged many to overcome that, albeit that most of these films still struggle at the box office.
  • Options
    A STAR IS BORN
    I thought the film was really well shot and the performances from both Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga were excellent. It's a promising directorial debut from Cooper and there seems a genuine chemistry between the two actors. The ending is a bit clunky but overall a very watchable film.
    8/10
  • Options
    THE WIFE
    A film about a celebrated author and his wife that gradually unravels the secrets of their past. The author played by Jonathan Pryce travels to Stockholm to collect the Nobel Prize for literature accompanied by his wife played by Glenn Close and his son and her dissatisfaction with their relationship surfaces.
    Glenn Close is brilliant in her role as a long suffering wife who begins to question her self sacrifice and has to be in with a chance of an Oscar for this. Pryce is also very good as the chauvinistic author with Christian Slater standing out in a supporting role as a would be biographer.
    One of the best films I've seen this year.
    8.5/10
  • Options
    Any idea when Stan & Ollie is out? Seen the trailer and it looks interesting. Then we have two Rock biopics due out soon, Rocket Man and Bohemian Rhapsody. Again I've seen the trailers and I'm interested but I know these type of films can be disappointing to say the least. Prepared to give them a go though.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Also looking forward to @Bedsaddick's TV Christmas film guide. He does a good job and I won't take the piss this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I recently watched the new documentary on Bros. Reviews are under embargo so can't say much.

Just that... I have never, ever, ever laughed so much in a cinema before. It was fucking brilliant. Some of the stuff they come out with, in all seriousness is breathtaking. It's like a real-life Spinal Tap.

“H-O-M-E are incredibly important letters... they personify... home.”

Watch it with friends. You will not be disappointed.

Matt: "Conkers are banned...kids can't even play conkers anymore. It's one of the worst things in the world right now..."

Beat.

Luke: "I can live with it."
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I recently watched the new documentary on Bros. Reviews are under embargo so can't say much.

Just that... I have never, ever, ever laughed so much in a cinema before. It was fucking brilliant. Some of the stuff they come out with, in all seriousness is breathtaking. It's like a real-life Spinal Tap.

Matt: "Conkers are banned...kids can't even play conkers anymore. It's one of the worst things in the world right now..."

Beat.

Who has spent money making a documentary on Bros ffs?
    Didn’t they have to cancel their comeback tour recently as nobody was interested in two bald middle aged men with bottle stoppers on their DM’s?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Beat.

I will keep an eye out for this, I genuinely thought made in Chelsea was a mockumentary first time my missus had it on and I was crying with laughter. Not so funny now but I see what you are saying and I trust your recommendations
  • Options
    Carter said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Beat.

I will keep an eye out for this, I genuinely thought made in Chelsea was a mockumentary first time my missus had it on and I was crying with laughter. Not so funny now but I see what you are saying and I trust your recommendations
    Reality TV stopped being funny once people started taking it seriously. The growth of the Kardashian cult says it all.
  • Options
    Carter said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Beat.

Nice of you to say!

I've got to interview them next week. I was just doing some research into the making of it, and it's made me like them even more. The directors really do like the pair, but it seems they knew, going in, that it had to be comedic. They are very sweet, very earnest 'boys'. But Jesus Christ the stuff Matt comes out with is fucking dynamite.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Carter said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Beat.

Nice of you to say!

I've got to interview them next week. I was just doing some research into the making of it, and it's made me like them even more. The directors really do like the pair, but it seems they knew, going in, that it had to be comedic. They are very sweet, very earnest 'boys'. But Jesus Christ the stuff Matt comes out with is fucking dynamite.
    I'm sure the boys have plenty of stories!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Fumbluff said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Beat.

Didn’t they have to cancel their comeback tour recently as nobody was interested in two bald middle aged men with bottle stoppers on their DM’s?
    It's not a waste of money. Not by a long shot. Their story is really interesting, and the fact that they are such entertaining characters makes it more fun than I imagined it could be. It treads a thin line between laughing at them and laughing with them. I think that's what makes it work. Plus they sold out the O2 in seconds, so they must have something going on still!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Fumbluff said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Beat.

It's not a waste of money. Not by a long shot. Their story is really interesting, and the fact that they are such entertaining characters makes it more fun than I imagined it could be. It treads a thin line between laughing at them and laughing with them. I think that's what makes it work. Plus they sold out the O2 in seconds, so they must have something going on still!
    I'm expecting it to be entertaining.
  • Options
    I've seen several films in the last few days at the London Film Festival Press & Industry Screenings.

In The Aisles (Germany)

The film is set in a wholesale supermarket and revolves around the relationships and camaraderie of its employees, including a potential romance between Christian, a shy young loner with a difficult past, and Marion from the sweets department (played by Sandra Sandra Hüller of ‘Toni Erdmann’ fame). The workplace rarely features in films - especially in more mundane places of employment - and I found this quite poignant and tender, with some humorous moments. It was a little over-long at 125 minutes, although good overall. It doesn’t as yet have a UK distributor but will probably pop up on one of the streaming services - 7/10

Twin Flower (Italy)

Set in Sardinia, a teenage girl who has suffered a trauma and is being pursued by the perpetrator, becomes the travelling companion of an young Ivorian guy who is an illegal immigrant. A decent drama, which held the interest, although I did find it a shade predictable - 6/10

Border (Sweden)

Tina, a Swedish customs guard, has an extraordinary sense of small, which extends to an ability to detect individuals’ innermost feeling (e.g. of guilt or shame). This makes her very successful in her job but her extremely odd looks mark her out as a loner. When she meets an equally strange (and disconcertingly similar) looking man, their animalistic attraction is instant and her life changes dramatically.

Based on a novel by the writer of ‘Let The Right One In’, this is a truly bizarre, weird film and not one for the faint hearted. The only thing I have seen in the past which remotely compares with it is ‘Men And Chicken’, the equally bizarre but more humorous Danish film. I had high hopes for ‘Border’ and, whilst it was certainly interesting and highly original, I was a little disappointed with it - 6.5/10

Out Of Blue (UK)

Set in New Orleans, this is an offbeat noir thriller about a murder investigation, directed by Carol Morley (‘The Falling’) and starring Patricia Clarkson as a recovering alcoholic detective. I think it was one of the worst films I have seen for a very long time: the narrative was ramshackle and ill-thought out; the characters were (with the exception of the lead) totally undeveloped; and the film was suffused with scientific terminology and psychobabble in a vain attempt to create some added layers of depth. One to avoid, including when it is shown on BBC (the funders) in the next year or two - 3/10

The Spy Gone North (South Korea)

A loosely fact-based film about a South Korean spy who embarked on a mission in the mid-1990s to ascertain the progress of the North Korean nuclear arms agenda and managed to infiltrate the highest echelons of the regime, including meeting Kim Jong-Il himself. I found it a little hammy in parts but the story was well constructed, especially in terms of the web of intrigue and multiple double-dealings - 7/10

The Old Man and the Gun (USA)

This is a ‘mostly true’ story about the later years of Forrest Tucker, a career bank robber, who escaped from prison no less than 18 times (including from San Quentin in a kayak) and committed his last robberies at the age of 79. Robert Redford plays the ‘gentleman bank’ robber, leading his two, also elderly, colleagues in the ‘Over-the-Hill Gang’ on a crime spree across the country.

Although this is not the sort of film I’d usually seek out, I thought it was very good indeed - light, easy entertainment, extremely charming and, at times, very funny. There is an excellent supporting cast, including Sissy Spacek (whose chemistry with Redford is a highlight), Casey Affleck, as a frustrated detective, and Danny Glover as one of the 'geriatric' gang. Released in the UK on 7 December, this is Robert Redford’s final acting role and I think it is a fitting swan song - 8/10

It also has to be said that the bloke is doing exceptionally well for an 82 year old !
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Christopher Robin - spoiler alert
    wtf! What is it about Christopher Robin script writers that make them hate children? This is the second one I've seen in months. The first was about the actual Christopher Robin and showed a tortured childhood neglected by his rather odd parents and general misery - not what I wanted on a long haul flight.
    The new one which arrived in Spain last week was advertised as a family film, and a few reviews I read described it as good for cildren too. I'd be interested to meet the child-free critics who thought so. Christopher leaves his rather elderly looking chums behind in the hundred acre Wood, in order to go to boarding school. He ends up as a workaholic adult who neglects his family in order to keep his job afloat. Meanwhile his old friends are still in misery in the hundred acre Wood, occasionally visiting his empty house hoping to see him again. Two children near me in the cinema were in tears by this point.

When the miserable twat (CR) finally bumps into Winnie the Pooh, he is fairly rude and abusive, and tries to offload him. We are now an hour into the film, and the characters the kids love have barely registered over the grim reality of the lead carácter. They do finally make a belated appearance ('look it's piglet' shouted one girl behind me in relief when the pink favourite finally shuffled into shot) and there is a brief chase scene through London near the end, and a sort of reconciliation. And that's it. If they follow this up with a second part, it could well be titled 'Christopher Robin chooses assisted suicide' for the little ones to thrill over. Who needs Winnie the Pooh when you can cheer up the kids with an overworked adult.

1/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roma (Mexico)

Alfonso Cuarón’s film (Y Tu Mamá También, Gravity) follows a year in the life of a middle class family in Mexico City at the turn of the 1970s, focusing upon Cleo, a live-in domestic maid. She is employed by Sofia, a mother of four boisterous children, who struggles emotionally with a largely absent husband.

The film is beautifully and meticulously shot, with beguiling black and white cinematography. As a result, it is highly evocative and immersive, drawing the viewer into Cuarón’s long shots of the domestic and street scenes. The narrative is quietly episodic, although it still packs an emotional punch in key moments. Netflix have acquired the film and it remains to be seen as to what level of theatrical release it will receive - a pity if it is severely restricted, as the cinematography certainly deserves the big screen.

Winner of the Venice Golden Lion, Roma has been critically acclaimed and currently has an exceptionally high Metascore of 95. I thought it was very good, although I would not put it in the ‘masterclass’ category assigned to it by many critics - 8/10

Happy As Lazzaro (Italy)

Lazzaro is a sweet natured and kindly young peasant, whose naive and trusting nature encourage those in his remote village community (and others) to take advantage of him. His otherworldly character lead most people to think of him as simple and, on one level, the story can be seen as a fable of what happens when innocence is confronted by corruption and self-interest.

The first two thirds of the film is beautifully shot and its portrayal of peasant, rustic life in the Italian countryside is exceptional. Thereafter, it moves into the realm of magic realism, with one or two surprising and imaginative turns. I personally felt that the film lost its way a little towards the end, which was a shame, although it was still enjoyable - 7/10

Dogman (Italy)

Marcello has a modest dog grooming parlour (with some smalltime coke dealing on the side) in a dilapidated seaside village near Rome. He is prevailed upon to assist local criminals from time to time but progressively finds himself put under intolerable strain by a local, psychotic thug, Simone.

The setting is very atmospheric, there is a fine performance from the lead (who won the Best Actor Award at Cannes) and there are some very amusing moments during the dog grooming scenes. Overall, an interesting and good film although, personally, I found the repeated violence just a little too graphic - 7/10

Too Late To Die Young (Chile)

A coming-of-age story involving a group of youngsters and teenagers spending the summer with their families in a woodland commune below the Andes. There is a lot of teenage angst and jealousy from protagonists on the brink of adult awareness, particularly on the part of a surly young teenager who utilises her natural beauty to attract an older guy, much to the consternation of a smitten teenage admirer. Not much happens in narrative terms, but the film is atmospheric and quietly immersive - 7/10

The Wild Pear Tree (Turkey)

A bumptious and opinionated young man who has just graduated and has aspirations as a writer, finds his return to his provincial home town difficult. Relations with his family are fraught, with money short and his father up to his neck in gambling debts, whilst his attempts to persuade locals to fund the publication of his book prove less than fruitful. Nor are his interactions with a number of others friction-free and he becomes increasingly disenchanted.

This is Niru Bilge Ceylan’s follow up to his Palme d’Or-winning ‘Winter Sleep’. Like that film, ‘The Wild Pear Tree‘ is very literary in terms of its excellent (and often lengthy) dialogue exchanges - discussions with a local author and with two imams are highlights - and it could easily have been written for the stage. The characters are fully developed and highly nuanced and this is a very accomplished and intelligent piece of film-making. As ever, Ceylan takes his time and the film runs to just over three hours, which will inevitably limit the scope of its theatrical release at the beginning of 2019 - 7/10

Sunset (Hungary)

Set in Budapest in 1913 near the end of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the eve of the First World War, a young woman seeks a job as a milliner in a famous hat shop once owned by her parent. Orphaned at the age of two in suspicious circumstances, she seeks to investigate and reconnect with her family heritage but is obstructed at every turn.

I found the plot of this film ill-considered, muddled and totally confusing. In addition, the director, László Nemes, deployed a similar technique as in his Oscar winning, ‘Son of Saul’, by focusing the camera almost exclusively on the lead, with a shallow and blurred focus elsewhere. It does not work in ‘Sunset’: it did not generate any empathy with the lead, who had only two expressions throughout - intense and haunted; it detracted from the rest of the narrative (such as it was); and contributed to a tiring and frustrating watch over the 142 minutes running time. Overall, I found this an over-stylised, facile and deeply flawed film - 4/10
  • Options

THE WIFE
    A film about a celebrated author and his wife that gradually unravels the secrets of their past. The author played by Jonathan Pryce travels to Stockholm to collect the Nobel Prize for literature accompanied by his wife played by Glenn Close and his son and her dissatisfaction with their relationship surfaces.
    Glenn Close is brilliant in her role as a long suffering wife who begins to question her self sacrifice and has to be in with a chance of an Oscar for this. Pryce is also very good as the chauvinistic author with Christian Slater standing out in a supporting role as a would be biographer.
    8.5/10

Saw it tonight. Very good acting from Close, Pryce and Close's daughter. But it fell short for me as the story wasn't credible.
    Looking forward to seeing A star is born tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Watched 22 July directed by Paul Greengrass. Very disappointed with it . Considering the dramatic circumstances around the massacre in Norway you’d have thought this would have made a great film but it’s as dull as dishwater. Way too long as well. Perhaps that’s the reason they did a joint cinema and Netflix release last week?
  • Options
    Venom - 7.5/10
    Good film, good storyline, good actors. Went in with an open mind and was surprised as i quite enjoyed it, anyone who likes Marvel/DC would recommend going to see this, some light hearted funny bits in it too.
  • Options

Venom - 7.5/10
    Good film, good storyline, good actors. Went in with an open mind and was surprised as i quite enjoyed it, anyone who likes Marvel/DC would recommend going to see this, some light hearted funny bits in it too.

Haven't seen it but it seems to have been slated in some reviews.
  • Options
    iainment said:

THE WIFE
    8.5/10

Saw it tonight. Very good acting from Close, Pryce and Close's daughter. But it fell short for me as the story wasn't credible.
    The storyline worked for me. The acting was certainly excellent.
  • Options

A STAR IS BORN
    I thought the film was really well shot and the performances from both Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga were excellent. It's a promising directorial debut from Cooper and there seems a genuine chemistry between the two actors. The ending is a bit clunky but overall a very watchable film.
    8/10

Captivating performance from both of them. Felt like i was the only person in the cinema at times watching their releationship develop. (until some numpty dropped their popcorn or went to the toilet using their phone as a light WTF) Can't remember the last time I felt so compelled to shout at the screen. keep thinking about it 48 hours on. about the story, and his eyes.
  • Options

Venom - 7.5/10

Haven't seen it but it seems to have been slated in some reviews.
    I just took it face value, didnt expect much and didnt hear much of it. Thought it was decent personally but wont be everyones cup of tea, easy to watch.
  • Options
    I love this thread.
  • Options

iainment said:

THE WIFE
    8.5/10

The storyline worked for me. The acting was certainly excellent.
    It had everything including being very well written. However I didn't buy that their secret could have been kept that long.