Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Cannot wait for Tenet. Meant to be released mid July but I’m guessing I’ll have to wait longer.
     If the trailer I watched in the IMAX a few months ago is anything to go by then this is a must watch at the cinema!

Don't think the small screen will do it justice.
    Most of Nolan’s films are better on the big screen. 
    Wasnt that struck by the trailer in all honesty....but Clemence Poesy is in it, so Im in....
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Been getting a fair bit of online review work recently, lots of it is Disney TV movie stuff, but also a few indie flicks. 

Ema was very interesting. A couple break up after their adopted child turns out to be a rotter. She’s a dancer, very rebellious, and he’s a choreographer (it’s all modern expressionism stuff). I like the style of director Pablo Larrain, I thought his previous film Jackie was very well presented. Strange for him to revert to Chile again, I’d like to see him do something mainstream. Still, Ema is a very different film if you’re looking for an off-beat drama with the odd twist. (3/5)

Also saw To The Stars which is a 60s-set coming of age drama that borders on cliche - shy girl comes out of her shell and learns to deal with school cliques, bullies and a bitchy mother - before finding something under a surface that initially seemed quite shallow. (4/5)

Oh and a Russian movie called Why Won’t You Just Die! - would rather not say too much but if you come across it and consider it - pull the trigger and watch it. It’s a lot of fun. You won’t regret it. (4/5). 

Netflix’s The Wrong Missy isn’t as bad as I feared. (3/7)
    Have you seen 'Tony Manero' and 'No' by Larrain? I strongly recommend them both.
    I did an interview with Larrain (https://www.nme.com/film-interviews/pablo-larrain-interview-ema-jackie-director-2655341) and had to do a lot of research, so read a lot about those two as I couldn't find them anywhere at the time! Would especially like to see No. 
  • Options
    Not new, but watched Contagion on Netflix.

Thought it was really good. Pretty scary considering

Agreed .. I have just watched this on DVD .. now we know where the pandemic terminology comes from .. more informative, if of course, highly dramatized, than most of the documentaries I have seen about the current pandemic. Ironically Minneapolis features a lot, a city now going through another regrettable kind of epidemic
  • Options

Agreed .. I have just watched this on DVD .. now we know where the pandemic terminology comes from .. more informative, if of course, highly dramatized, than most of the documentaries I have seen about the current pandemic. Ironically Minneapolis features a lot, a city now going through another regrettable kind of epidemic
    Watched it about a week ago - remarkably prescient considering where we are now. Recommend it.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Watched it about a week ago - remarkably prescient considering where we are now. Recommend it.
    A lot of the science is generally accurate but they make the vaccine/cure, can't remember which, far too quickly.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

A lot of the science is generally accurate but they make the vaccine/cure, can't remember which, far too quickly.
    IdleHans said:

I always make allowances for 'poetic licence' and a happy ending, else the planet would be devoid of humans ((:>)
  • Options
    Just watched 1917. Disappointed. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Same here.
    Thought the planes could have dropped the message. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Solidgone said:
    Same here.
    That would have made it a very short film 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    It’s a big screen film, not tv. Dunkirk the same. 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Solidgone said:
    Some films just work better on the big screen.  Alien is another.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

IdleHans said:

I always make allowances for 'poetic licence' and a happy ending, else the planet would be devoid of humans ((:>)
    Indeed.  I didn't say the filmmakers were wrong to do it so quickly in the film, only that scientifically it wasn't accurate.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Solidgone said:
    Same here.
    That would have made it a very short film 
    Its like in LOTR, baffles me why Gandalf didnt just fly and eagle to Mount Doom and save everyone a bloody long walk!! 
  • Options
    Tenet release moved back again to 12th August and is one of the reasons a lot of cinemas aren’t opening yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ‘Marvellous‘ - on BBC iPlayer

I’m sure it’s previously featured on this thread - it’s the biopic about a guy with learning difficulties, who became Stoke City’s kit man. We watched it again on iPlayer this week and it was just as good the second time around. If you’ve not seen it, I’d definitely tune in. Toby Jones is excellent as Neil and the drama is interspersed with chats between him and the man himself. A deserved winner of two BAFTAs.

• Options
    Blucher said:
    ‘Marvellous‘ - on BBC iPlayer

I’m sure it’s previously featured on this thread - it’s the biopic about a guy with learning difficulties, who became Stoke City’s kit man. We watched it again on iPlayer this week and it was just as good the second time around. If you’ve not seen it, I’d definitely tune in. Toby Jones is excellent as Neil and the drama is interspersed with chats between him and the man himself. A deserved winner of two BAFTAs.

A Brilliant film. 10 out of 10
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Anyone seen “king of Staten Island”? Probably the most tender and dramatic of judd apatow’s films. Bill burr crushes it though. 
  • Options
    Midsommar (Amazon Prime)

A horror film, which is not normally my thing. Five American students attend a Swedish rural midsummer festival run by a pagan cult and things turn predictably nasty. Definite shades of 'The Wicker Man' and Florence Pugh is, as usual, very good.

Eurovision (Netflix)

A musical comedy spoof, as two small-town Icelandic singers - Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams - chase glory at the Eurovision Song Contest. It is complete and utter nonsense but I quite enjoyed it as the film went on. A useful antidote to the concession of late goals at Griffin Park

• Options
    IdleHans said:

IdleHans said:

Indeed.  I didn't say the filmmakers were wrong to do it so quickly in the film, only that scientifically it wasn't accurate.
    I find it interesting that films with 'realistic' tones get kicked a bit for doing anything unrealistic. Gravity springs to mind here - a film that treated the vacuum of space in a way that few, if any space films had before. But it's a popcorn action thriller, so most of it is not remotely close to realistic - nor is it supposed to be (stuff like using the fire extinguisher, the distances between space stations, Clooney tugging on the rope)! It's the marketing that leads to a backlash I think. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone seen “king of Staten Island”? Probably the most tender and dramatic of judd apatow’s films. Bill burr crushes it though. 
    We enjoyed it. Great back story too
  • Options
    Tenet delayed indefinitely
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh bugger that was the film I was considering venturing to the cinema for the first time in months for
  • Options
    Oh buffer that was the film I was considering venturing to the cinema for the first time in months for
     That delay is really not to going to help cinemas (or the jobs of people working for them).
  • Options
    Just watched 'Searching' on Netflix. 

Pretty original and worth watching. Gets good reviews as well, 92% on rotten tomatoes.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    kafka said:
    Solidgone said:
    It would have been a bigger disappointment. 😉
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Red Midland has fame at last !😀
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Anyone else seen the newly released 'horror' film Saint Maud? We went this weekend with high hopes after reading Mark Kermode's gushing review in which he reckons it is Oscar winning material. Well, we were greatly unimpressed. Only one 'fright' moment in the whole film. We didn't buy into the 'loneliness' angle of the main character and found the whole thing slow and tedious.

That is 3 terrible films on the bounce for us; this, 23 Walks and Tenet. It's slim pickings at the moment. We were literally the only ones in one film and 2 of 8 people in Odeon Orpington on Saturday for SM. The film industry is gonna struggle to survive if this carries on. We keep going back as we live locally and have Limitless cards. That said, the poor offerings really are testing my 'limits' now.

• Options
    Finished the Trial of the Chicago 7 last night on Netfix. Thought it was excellent with some great bits of acting and really well filmed.