Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I really enjoyed El Royale. Had a really tight script, took a couple of turns I didn’t see coming at all. I get the QT connections but I still think it had enough of its own style. Cast were great too. 
  • Options
    Saw El Royale at the cinema - very enjoyable but aeemed to only get a limited release. Cynthia Erivo was excellent.
  • Options
    Invisible Man
    Decent horror/ thriller from the man who made Upgrade (an amazing low budget sci-if action thing). Its beautifully crafted but does hang off of a plot that features insanely large holes. My advice is to not think about that stuff and just go with it. 5/7

Villain
    I’m not one for London gangster flicks. I never bother with stuff like Rise of the Footsoldier. So when I was asked to watch a Craig Fairbrass crime thriller I wasn’t much up for it. Which made it a really pleasant surprise to find this is a really well made, understated yet stylish genre movie. Not a fan of the final act, but everything else is pretty well done. 4/7

Journey To China
    Nowhere near as bad as the trailer suggested. Actually has some decent highlights and is likeable, despite some horrendous dubbing and awful pacing. CG wasn’t as bad as it looks on the trailer either. It’s a shit film, but not annoyingly shit. 3/8
  • Options
    DARK WATERS
    A gripping film directed by Todd Haynes about the corrupt actions of chemical company DuPont who are knowingly poisoning residents of West Virginia and covering it up. Mark Ruffalo is excellent as the lawyer who leads the investigation and it really highlights the dark side of corporate USA and the lack of regulation.

Well worth watching. 8.5/10
  • Options
    DARK WATERS
    A gripping film directed by Todd Haynes about the corrupt actions of chemical company DuPont who are knowingly poisoning residents of West Virginia and covering it up. Mark Ruffalo is excellent as the lawyer who leads the investigation and it really highlights the dark side of corporate USA and the lack of regulation.

Thanks for posting that.

This is a film I liked the look of when I saw the trailer.
  • Options
    Apologies if this isn't the correct thread but baby sitting tonight & watched a film from SKY Premiere recommended by our daughter.

Bad Times at the El Royale .

Described on Wikipedia as " Feeling like a Tarantino film with jarring bursts of graphic violence & a retro soundtrack" -  mainly Motown & Soul which we love- it certainly hit the spot for us tonight. 

Based in 1969 it also features a Manson like figure entering the already chaotic scenario in its latter stages c/o the hunky Chris Hemsworth. 

Absolutely worth watching and interested to learn the views of others on here.

9/10 from the Fanackapan jury.

Fanny, you never have to offer an apology.
  • Options
    DARK WATERS

I think I'd get too annoyed at DuPont to enjoy watching it.
  • Options
    Watched The Invisible Man today . Loved the first half hour but as soon as the invisible thing came in I couldn’t take it seriously - The longer it went on the sillier it got . 
    Never not Entertaining Though and Elizabeth Moss is great . 
    7 out of 10 

• Options
    ONWARD

Latest film from Pixar. A fantasy film about magic and bereavement - works well for both adults and children. Has a strong message about family.

8/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen The Invisible Man. Utterly ridiculous and some huge plot holes, but pretty good fun and certainly watchable. As Jimmy said, take it for what it is. 7/10.
  • Options
    Watched Uncut Gems on Netflix just now - excellent film, Adam Sandler is a very good “serious” actor (I hate his comedy). 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Watched Uncut Gems on Netflix just now - excellent film, Adam Sandler is a very good “serious” actor (I hate his comedy). 
    I remember being told by someone, it may even have been something I read online on here.

Studios will let Adam Sandler or pay for him to make a serious film on the proviso he then does grown ups 56 to make them some money. 

I'm a fan of Adam Sandler films, the wedding singer is a brilliant romantic comedy, happy Gilmore and little Nicky are also up there. They are shamelessly daft and allow him to be the type of stupid that can either be funny or really annoying depending on your outlook 

Funny people was a great film and he's done some serious ones that surprise me with how good his performance was but the film as a whole hadn't impressed me 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Just got back from seeing ‘the true history of the kelly gang’ 
    enjoyed it but questionable at times. Not read the book although husband has and I’ve been told off for critiquing a film I know nothing about. Currently sulking. My verdict, good, but jumped around a bit and the end seemed rushed. For a ‘legend’ he only seemed to go rogue for a short time for a failed mission so surprising it would have gone down in history? 
  • Options

Uncut Gems - 7/10, watched it last week so not that fresh in the memory. Not really that memorable, its ok and worth a watch but I doubt I'd watch it again. One thing I didn't really like it seemed all too a bit OTT, seemed constant shouting and a bit extra for my liking.

Once upon a time in London- 6/10, Gangster flick, its ok a bit peaky blinders but not amazing. Kind of regretted watching it really 2 hours long and expected better with a cast to football factory/ others

The joker- 8/10, I did really enjoy it. very mixed emotions and its a very clever putting another dimension on how the joker is so crazy. It wasn't quite action packed but well worth a watch and I will probably rewatch it again at some point. links well with the most recent batman movies but would have liked a bit more action.

• Options

Uncut Gems - 7/10, watched it last week so not that fresh in the memory. Not really that memorable, its ok and worth a watch but I doubt I'd watch it again. One thing I didn't really like it seemed all too a bit OTT, seemed constant shouting and a bit extra for my liking.

Once upon a time in London- 6/10, Gangster flick, its ok a bit peaky blinders but not amazing. Kind of regretted watching it really 2 hours long and expected better with a cast to football factory/ others

The joker- 8/10, I did really enjoy it. very mixed emotions and its a very clever putting another dimension on how the joker is so crazy. It wasn't quite action packed but well worth a watch and I will probably rewatch it again at some point. links well with the most recent batman movies but would have liked a bit more action.

I tend to agree with you JB87, but... I have to say this... Once Upon A Time In London is in my top three all time worst films. Not just cos I didn't like it, but because it's technically atrocious. The storytelling is abysmal. The pacing is hilarious. It's so, so badly made. I can't think of a single redeeming feature. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I tend to agree with you JB87, but... I have to say this... Once Upon A Time In London is in my top three all time worst films. Not just cos I didn't like it, but because it's technically atrocious. The storytelling is abysmal. The pacing is hilarious. It's so, so badly made. I can't think of a single redeeming feature. 
    Yes, great pity because it has a good cast. 
  • Options
    GREED 
    Comedy about a 'self made' fashion tycoon largely based on Sir Philip Green. The characters are grotesque and there plenty of funny bits but it is all a bit one dimensional. When you watch the film you wonder how on earth he got away with it.

6.5 /10
  • Options
    Watched The Lighthouse . One of the most intense films I’ve seen in a very long time . 
    It looks and sounds amazing . It’s more than weird but in a good way . 
    Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe really go through the ringer with their performances
    I don’t think this will be everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoyed it .

8 out of 10 
    Couldn't get past Defoe's comically awful accent, right down there with Dick van Dyke, Downey jr in Doolittle or Don Cheadle in the Ocean's franchise.
    Ruined the whole thing as it's impossible to take any of it seriously, it would have been less distracting if he'd had 3 eyes.

It is alleged that Dick van Dyke had no idea he sounded preposterous in Mary Poppins cos nobody told him - but how can so many yank males sound so effing awful when attempting British accents - notable exception for the cast of Spinal Tap
  • Options
    Watched The Lighthouse . One of the most intense films I’ve seen in a very long time . 
    It looks and sounds amazing . It’s more than weird but in a good way . 
    Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe really go through the ringer with their performances
    I don’t think this will be everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoyed it .

8 out of 10 
    Couldn't get past Defoe's comically awful accent, right down there with Dick van Dyke, Downey jr in Doolittle or Don Cheadle in the Ocean's franchise.
    Ruined the whole thing as it's impossible to take any of it seriously, it would have been less distracting if he'd had 3 eyes.

It is alleged that Dick van Dyke had no idea he sounded preposterous in Mary Poppins cos nobody told him - but how can so many yank males sound so effing awful when attempting British accents - notable exception for the cast of Spinal Tap
    You do know he wasn’t trying to do an British accent  ? It’s set in New England and they are both Americans. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not Mary poppins. Gor blimey guvnor, striiike a light. 
  • Options
    Just back from long plane trips. Caught up on a few films - absolutely loved Joker and Parasite. Also enjoyed the Glasgow grit of Wild Rose.

Been to Glasgow Film Festival tonight for UK premiere of Les Miserables. Nothing to do with the musical. More The Wire meets Lion King, but in French. Powerful stuff. 
  • Options
    Just back from long plane trips. Caught up on a few films - absolutely loved Joker and Parasite. Also enjoyed the Glasgow grit of Wild Rose.

Been to Glasgow Film Festival tonight for UK premiere of Les Miserables. Nothing to do with the musical. More The Wire meets Lion King, but in French. Powerful stuff. 
    I've got nothing in the festival this year.  Les Miserables is pretty decent though!
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I've got nothing in the festival this year.  Les Miserables is pretty decent though!
    supaclive said:

Just think, you could have had PARTNERS.
  • Options
    Another UK premiere tonight - Promising Young Woman. Another good one, if difficult subject matter. Killing Eve meets the #MeToo movement.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Ah that's a shame! Did you go to Sundance this year?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Went to see Dark Waters with Mark Ruffalo - 8 out of 10.

Heres a bit of background on what its on about, I knew a bit about the plot before I went, but had not heard about the case about DuPont who make Teflon, worth a watch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/magazine/the-lawyer-who-became-duponts-worst-nightmare.html

Heres the IMDb link , if you want to check out the actors/ watch a trailer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/
  • Options
    Riz Ahmed new short (12 minutes) - movie ‘The Long Goodbye’ released on YouTube today. 

It’s well worth a watch. Remarkable piece of filmmaking. 

Should warn that it’s hard hitting and scenes will be difficult to watch for some. 

• Options
    Riz Ahmed new short (12 minutes) - movie ‘The Long Goodbye’ released on YouTube today. 

It’s well worth a watch. Remarkable piece of filmmaking. 

Should warn that it’s hard hitting and scenes will be difficult to watch for some. 

Great actor 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Stopped watching it after about half an hour, just seemed to be a film about SHOUTING!