Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Saw 1917 today, can’t add anything to what has been said. 

Deserves all its awards, go see it. 
    Yes I saw 1917 yesterday and really enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Watched The Lighthouse . One of the most intense films I’ve seen in a very long time . 
    It looks and sounds amazing . It’s more than weird but in a good way . 
    Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe really go through the ringer with their performances
    I don’t think this will be everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoyed it .

8 out of 10 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Uncut Gems

9 out of 10 

Brilliant film, Excellently directed, acted and scripted. Adam Sandler is top of his game as is the actress who plays his mistress with a vigour I really admired. 

I had no idea who Howard Ratner is or what his story was nor did I know who Kevin Garnet is so the tension absolutely had me and I did not see the ending coming. 

My missus said it drove her made how chaotic the dialogue was but I thought that made the whole thing more authentic. Thoroughly recommend this film 
    Anxiety and suspense from start to finish. Certainly not a relaxing film to watch. Very few quiet moments in the film.

Adam Sandler is excellent in the title role and you are kept gripped by the plot.

8.5/10
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Uncut Gems

9 out of 10 

Brilliant film, Excellently directed, acted and scripted. Adam Sandler is top of his game as is the actress who plays his mistress with a vigour I really admired. 

I had no idea who Howard Ratner is or what his story was nor did I know who Kevin Garnet is so the tension absolutely had me and I did not see the ending coming. 

My missus said it drove her made how chaotic the dialogue was but I thought that made the whole thing more authentic. Thoroughly recommend this film 
    Anxiety and suspense from start to finish. Certainly not a relaxing film to watch. Very few quiet moments in the film.

Adam Sandler is excellent in the title role and you are kept gripped by the plot.

8.5/10
    Got round to looking the film up, I thought Adam Sandler was playing an actual person who actually was a diamond dealer. 

This is the best straight to Netflix film I've seen so far 
  • Options
    Parasite
    Worth all the praise it's been getting.  Excellent performances, good story.  Not as out there as Okja but a worthy entry into the director's body of work.

Marriage Story
    The performances in this are excellent, too, although I think Laura Dern doesn't necessarily deserve the accolades she's been getting, her lines are better than she is.  The storyline, however, left both Ms AA and I feeling a bit "Meh". And Adam Driver still looks weird.
  • Options
    Hell, yes! Parasite! Elated for its upset win.
  • Options
    Parasite
    Worth all the praise it's been getting.  Excellent performances, good story.  Not as out there as Okja but a worthy entry into the director's body of work.

Marriage Story
    The performances in this are excellent, too, although I think Laura Dern doesn't necessarily deserve the accolades she's been getting, her lines are better than she is.  The storyline, however, left both Ms AA and I feeling a bit "Meh". And Adam Driver still looks weird.
    I love a performance where you can't see the actor who is playing it. For Marriage Story, Laura Dern just dials up her smugness and has to walk around comfortable rooms being a bit OTT Dern. I have no idea why she got a major award for that. And I really like Marriage Story. Johansson and Driver were very, very good. 

Toy Story 4 winning an Oscar was a joke too. At least Parasite turned it around. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Parasite

Marriage Story
    I love a performance where you can't see the actor who is playing it. For Marriage Story, Laura Dern just dials up her smugness and has to walk around comfortable rooms being a bit OTT Dern. I have no idea why she got a major award for that. And I really like Marriage Story. Johansson and Driver were very, very good. 

Toy Story 4 winning an Oscar was a joke too. At least Parasite turned it around. 
    Definitely agree regarding Dern, she's a good actress, but it wasn't an oscar winning performance. Marriage Story was a good film, especially enjoyed the scene with Driver when he's been observed, so awkward, but in a tragic-funny kind of way. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Parasite

Marriage Story

Definitely agree regarding Dern, she's a good actress, but it wasn't an oscar winning performance. Marriage Story was a good film, especially enjoyed the scene with Driver when he's been observed, so awkward, but in a tragic-funny kind of way. 
    Absolutely.  The best scene in the film.  The woman playing the observer was so good at being socially awful.
  • Options
    I liked marriage story more than Parasite but my favourite, Once upon a time in Hollywood never stood a chance . Films like that and The Irishman will never win best picture again sadly as it doesn’t tick the right politically correct boxes . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw 'La belle epoque' last week.
    If you don't mind subtitles, go and watch it.
    Crowd-pleasing. So good!
  • Options
    Watched The Lighthouse . One of the most intense films I’ve seen in a very long time . 
    Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe really go through the ringer with their performances

8 out of 10 
    I really enjoyed this. Great tone and photography. However, I don't think it's a film that everyone will enjoy. It felt very Lynch inspired, dark and slow. The complete breakdown of the human mind. Also it only has two people in the entire film (plus the mermaid).

If you haven't seen Robert Eggers other film The Witch then I throughly recommend that. Again it has forbidding presence, but tells a very different story.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Carter said:
    Uncut Gems

9 out of 10 

We tried to watch this on Friday night.  Despite the excellence of Sandler's performance, we are very much in your missus's camp, so much so we gave up just after he has his clothes taken off him.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

8 out of 10 
    I really enjoyed this. Great tone and photography. However, I don't think it's a film that everyone will enjoy. It felt very Lynch inspired, dark and slow. The complete breakdown of the human mind. Also it only has two people in the entire film (plus the mermaid).

If you haven't seen Robert Eggers other film The Witch then I throughly recommend that. Again it has forbidding presence, but tells a very different story.
    Spoil it for everybody, why don't you?

I can't say we enjoyed it, it's too intense for that and you feel liberated when it ends, but we certainly appreciated it.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Doolittle
    As part of their ongoing process to poison the cinema for me, my family dragged me along to see Dr Doolittle on sunday. I'd read terrible reviews about it, but one of the major grinds they all complained about (Doolittle's poor Welsh accent, and the modern American language all the animals used) was neatly cut out by watching it in Spanish. To be honest it was more entertaining than the dreadfull Little Women I endured at christmas, but really it wasn't very good. There is an amusing squirrel that keeps it, well, amusing, and I speculated afterwards that if they'd centred the plot around the Squirrel, it would probably have made for a better film. But it wasn't worth the money I paid - my ten year old daughter loved it though, so anyone with children might well take one for the team and go and see it.

4/10
  • Options
    Doolittle
    As part of their ongoing process to poison the cinema for me, my family dragged me along to see Dr Doolittle on sunday. I'd read terrible reviews about it, but one of the major grinds they all complained about (Doolittle's poor Welsh accent, and the modern American language all the animals used) was neatly cut out by watching it in Spanish. To be honest it was more entertaining than the dreadfull Little Women I endured at christmas, but really it wasn't very good. There is an amusing squirrel that keeps it, well, amusing, and I speculated afterwards that if they'd centred the plot around the Squirrel, it would probably have made for a better film. But it wasn't worth the money I paid - my ten year old daughter loved it though, so anyone with children might well take one for the team and go and see it.

4/10
    Thought it was very poor.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

8 out of 10 

Spoil it for everybody, why don't you?

I can't say we enjoyed it, it's too intense for that and you feel liberated when it ends, but we certainly appreciated it.
    There were parts in the middle when the repetition dragged, I'm fairly sure this was done just to add to the pain of the viewer.

I think a lot of people will find it boring.

Watch Uncut Gems for intensity and liberation.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Bait

This is about the gentrification of a small fishing village in Cornwall and the resulting friction with locals, who are struggling to maintain their way of life. It's a highly original film and, in part, experimental, in the sense that grainy 16mm black and white film stock has been scratched and made to look old, whilst the entire film was shot entirely without sound, effectively creating a silent movie, to which dialogue, music and sound effects were added later. The editing is also choppy and quickfire, juxtaposing contrasting images and close ups. The effect of all this is a little disorientating and weird and I am sure that some people will find it a difficult and unrewarding experience - in short, it's a probably a bit of a marmite film.

I personally found it very interesting and thought that it tackled the issues involved pretty well, if a little melodramatically in parts. The middle class 'toffs' were also a little caricatured, although those are minor quibbles in the context of what I thought was a good film. It was made on a very small budget, utilising staff and students from the film school at Falmouth University, and has now taken over £500,00 at the UK and Irish box office. It is still being screened at a number of venues, including the Prince Charles Cinema where I saw it  - 8/10
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Uncut Gems

9 out of 10 

We tried to watch this on Friday night.  Despite the excellence of Sandler's performance, we are very much in your missus's camp, so much so we gave up just after he has his clothes taken off him.
    Same. Had to turn it off, gave me a headache.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Carter said:
    Uncut Gems

9 out of 10 

Same. Had to turn it off, gave me a headache.
    It did nothing for me . Way too hectic 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I have to watch this tomorrow. I kinda wish I hadn't watched the trailer. Even if I get paid to watch it, I don't know if I can. 

https://youtu.be/GLeK-8eehhY
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I have to watch this tomorrow. I kinda wish I hadn't watched the trailer. Even if I get paid to watch it, I don't know if I can. 

That looks horrendous
  • Options
    Saw 1917 last night.

Surprised the BBC or Netflix didn't get hold of it and turn it into a mini drama.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Looks so bad I want to see it...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:

Well I’ve watched the trailer and I’ve no idea what it’s about. SFX look like they’re from 2003.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Well I’ve watched the trailer and I’ve no idea what it’s about. SFX look like they’re from 2003.
    I reckon if we got together for a lunch hour which a bunch of Commodore 64s and maybe an Amiga running Deluxe Paint, we could do better than that. 
  • Options
    Apologies if this isn't the correct thread but baby sitting tonight & watched a film from SKY Premiere recommended by our daughter.

Bad Times at the El Royale .

Described on Wikipedia as " Feeling like a Tarantino film with jarring bursts of graphic violence & a retro soundtrack" -  mainly Motown & Soul which we love- it certainly hit the spot for us tonight. 

Based in 1969 it also features a Manson like figure entering the already chaotic scenario in its latter stages c/o the hunky Chris Hemsworth. 

Absolutely worth watching and interested to learn the views of others on here.

9/10 from the Fanackapan jury.

• Options
    Apologies if this isn't the correct thread but baby sitting tonight & watched a film from SKY Premiere recommended by our daughter.

Bad Times at the El Royale .

Described on Wikipedia as " Feeling like a Tarantino film with jarring bursts of graphic violence & a retro soundtrack" -  mainly Motown & Soul which we love- it certainly hit the spot for us tonight. 

Based in 1969 it also features a Manson like figure entering the already chaotic scenario in its latter stages c/o the hunky Chris Hemsworth. 

Absolutely worth watching and interested to learn the views of others on here.

9/10 from the Fanackapan jury.

I liked it . I gave it an 8 out of 10 
  • Options
    I watched it just two weeks ago with my parents! I thought it was interesting. My mum loved it. A bit like a Tarantino film indeed.

I was very surprised that Jon Hamm's character died so early on. :D