Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Depends if you use the phrase "failed narratively" again I suppose! I can't let that slide. 
    If I put 'for me' on the end then you'll have to live with it. 
  • Options
    It's a redundant addition on a forum designed for opinions, but you knock yourself out! 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    It's a redundant addition on a forum designed for opinions, but you knock yourself out! 
    Just so you don't accuse me of making a definitive statement....

• Options
    The Personal History of David Copperfield

An interpretation of the life of David Copperfield directed by Armando Iannucci. I think it helps to be a fan of Dickens to really be fully absorbed by this - its an interesting take on Dickens but does become very pantomine at times. Dev Patel is very good in the title role and it has an excellent cast.

The casting ignores race and its unusual to see this from a story of that time. There will be plenty of debate over this.

7/10

I agree. I thought it was a decent film and amusing in parts, but nothing special. 
  • Options
    I saw Jojo Rabbit on Saturday. I expected it to be better. To be frank I couldn't quite make my mind up about the tone of the movie. In some ways I felt there was an undertone of anti-semitism even though it purported to be the opposite. A strange movie in my eyes. I understand at the end it all turns out well, Hitler ends up with a bullet in his head and the Americans roll heroically into town. But, to get to that point I found some of the humour uncomfortable on a very delicate subject. It missed the mark for me. Maybe I'm missing something but that's just how I felt.
    Very cleverly made though and original but I wasn't comfortable on a subject which I feel is too important to be portrayed with silly humour. Maybe that's my issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Jessie said:
    Jojo Rabbit . As one critic brilliantly put it , “ it’s like a Wes Anderson film set in the third reich “ .

It did little for me . I probably laughed about three times .  7 out out of 10 - Just 

So true. I watched till the Jewish girl appeared and gave up. The imaginary Hitler aside, it was so unbelievably unrealistic. I didn't get the funny parts and felt the 'child's perspective' thing was simply not my cup of tea. It is exactly why I'm never interested in Wes Anderson films.

I think it's a shame, as I think the film starts coming together from the point you left it. I agree that the comedic points at the beginning don't hit the highs of his usual comedic stuff, so I can understand why you left it, but once the film comes together I think it works as a character-based young adult war tale, with some strong satire.
    It reminded me a bit of the German film The Tin Drum which again seemed to divide opinion massively - another film based on a child during the Nazi regime.
    I watched the The Tim Drum last week for the first time . I really liked it although i can see why people wouldn’t as it had it’s weird bits but It’s a far far better film than Jojo Rabbit. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jojo Rabbit . As one critic brilliantly put it , “ it’s like a Wes Anderson film set in the third reich “ .

It did little for me . I probably laughed about three times .  7 out out of 10 - Just 

So true. I watched till the Jewish girl appeared and gave up. The imaginary Hitler aside, it was so unbelievably unrealistic. I didn't get the funny parts and felt the 'child's perspective' thing was simply not my cup of tea. It is exactly why I'm never interested in Wes Anderson films.

I think it's a shame, as I think the film starts coming together from the point you left it. I agree that the comedic points at the beginning don't hit the highs of his usual comedic stuff, so I can understand why you left it, but once the film comes together I think it works as a character-based young adult war tale, with some strong satire.
    It reminded me a bit of the German film The Tin Drum which again seemed to divide opinion massively - another film based on a child during the Nazi regime.
    I watched the The Tim Drum last week for the first time . I really liked it although i can see why people wouldn’t as it had it’s weird bits but It’s a far far better film than Jojo Rabbit. 
    The Tin Drum is a pretty shocking film and I agree it's better than Jojo Rabbit. 
  • Options
     Just seen David Copperfield. I really enjoyed it as a lively interpretation of the Dickens classic. Some great performances by Dev Patel, Peter Capaldi, Tilda Swinton, Hugh Laurie etc
  • Options
    I watched Parasite on demand last night. Can see why everyone has been going nuts over it. Was highly entertaining and thought-provoking. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Which brings me back to the Lego point - it being an opinion doesn't make it right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Which brings me back to the Lego point - it being an opinion doesn't make it right. 

Hope you remember that.
  • Options
    I always do - it's why I'm happy to have an opinion challenged. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    All you need to do now is recognise the difference between a definitive statement and an opinion. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    All you need to do now is recognise the difference between a definitive statement and an opinion. 
    I think we've clarified that - maybe you can get to terms with the idea that "everyone is entitled to an opinion" isn't a defence for a stupid opinion. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I think we've clarified that - maybe you can get to terms with the idea that "everyone is entitled to an opinion" isn't a defence for a stupid opinion. 
    Maybe you should learn to have more respect for others - maybe your opinion isn't always right and there can be two different opinions on the same thing that both have validity. 

If you want to be right that's fine.
  • Options
    Saw David Copperfield last night. Was along the lines of what I'd been expecting, an amusing interpretation of Dickens, a very accessible and colourful story with some very enjoyable performances from a varied cast who all seemed to have had a lot of fun making it. 

I think it would be a great introduction to Dickens for 12 and 13 year olds - although it may not be wholly faithful to the book, it brings it alive and you emerge feeling a bit happier than went you went in.

Expect to see this is on TV regularly in future years, very good family entertainment.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Maybe you should learn to have more respect for others - maybe your opinion isn't always right and there can be two different opinions on the same thing that both have validity. 

Come on Jimmy step up... you cant let hoof get the right word :)

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Please let it finish - I know I'm wrong...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Is that fact or just your opinion ? 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1917 gets a 9/10 from me... Fantastic film which is incredible when you consider how its shot

Mendes' version of No Man's Land is just amazing, the whole from that point at the beginning to the very end just leaves you on edge the whole time

Whilst everyone has their opinion (I respect that) I feel it was a film that wasnt about the characters hence why development wasnt required

Certainly didnt really care about the individuals and their backgrounds as wasnt a story about them specifically - they were just another two people in what we know was a brutal conflict

In terms of the cast I've been made to eat my words; when I saw the casting of Schofield and Blake my first reactions were: "Seriously, they look far too soft" but seeing them in the film I was extremely impressed - If anything my sole nit pick would be around Firth | Strong | Cumberbatch | Marsden - Felt the film was poweful enough not to require any big names and their brief cameos turned the scenes into: "Oh my god its X" when I think lesser actors like those who played Blake (Yes I know he was in GoT) and Schofield would have put more emphasis on the scene itself

My biggest critiscm was shortly after Blake died... Unless Schofield was sat there for an age I found it strange that Strong and his men suddenly appeared on the scene with no warning i.e. in cars / trucks couldnt be heard whilst a handful of soldiers were round the corner having a piss yet themselves were oblivious to the fight? - Of course I may just be missing something in that passage of the film and was a sign of how Schofield had completely zoned out and was oblivious to everyone around him in the aftermath of Blake's death

excellent cameo by Andrew Scott though ...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

If I keep relying this will never end. But I do need to say that I’m happy to be wrong, which is why I’d never say anything as inane as “it’s my opinion, don’t challenge it”. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

lol not sure how I put right word, should have been last. On a keyboard so I cannot even blame predictive text. Sigh
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

If I keep relying this will never end. But I do need to say that I’m happy to be wrong, which is why I’d never say anything as inane as “it’s my opinion, don’t challenge it”. 
    Don't think anyone ever said that - you seem to resort to making things up to back up your argument. You're a funny little chap.
  • Options
    Polite request: can you please both just bugger off to the argument thread? 

Not that polite, actually.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Just Mercy - absolutely superb.
    Thought it was very good - a powerful story that shows the inequalities of the US legal system and the dangers of the death penalty. 
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited January 2020
    A beautiful day in the Neighbourhood.

Probably only means something to those in the States who grew up with Mr Rogers. I found it predictable, slow and a bit creepy. 4/10
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Watched Little Women. A decent film and kept me interested. But compared to the other nominated Best Pictures of this year's Oscars, I felt this one had nothing special about it. It reminded me of Pride and Prejudice and a lot other similar novels/films. I've always liked Saoirse Ronan and she was the main reason that I watched this film. Her performance was okay but I think she was much better in say, Brooklyn, and even Mary Queen of Scots. 7.5/10

(I didn't recognise Chris Cooper until almost the end of the film. :D )

• Options
    Saw The Gentleman on Monday.  No analysis but thoroughly enjoyed it. 
  • Options

Watched Marriage Story last night on Netflix .

Brilliant performances from Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson . Very thought provoking and enough to put anyone off anyone getting divorced . Have to admit it had me watery eyed at times.

One scene in a bar twenty minutes from the end is ridiculous and totally unnecessary . Anyone who's seen it will know what I mean. 

A really good film apart from that.

9 out of 10