Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Just seen Jojo Rabbit for the second time (Mrs JS had a rare day off and wanted to see it). 
    Oddly I found it more moving this time. Loved it first time, but it didn’t quite reach me, whereas this time I was in bits. 
    Hadn’t picked up that Captain K (Sam Rockwell) was gay, it took the Mrs to point that out. 
    Terrific film, and if I knew any nazis would love to take them to see it. 
  • Options
    I enjoyed Richard Jewell - a film based on true events of the aftermath of the Atlanta bombing in 96 and the trial by media that Richard faced.
    Directed by Clint Eastwood.
    One to watch if you like those sort of films.

Kathy Bates as his mother is very deserving of her award nominations for the role.
  • Options
    Saw The Gentlemen the other day.  Much more entertaining than I thought it would be.  The dialogue reminded me a bit of Deadwood, strangely Victorian and old-fashioned yet liberally peppered with f-bombs and c-bombs (probably too many c-bombs actually , which diminished their effect).

I'm still not sure if parts of the film were actually racist, or calling out racism, or having a dig a people who call everything racist...  

• Options
    Missed It said:
    Saw The Gentlemen the other day.  Much more entertaining than I thought it would be.  The dialogue reminded me a bit of Deadwood, strangely Victorian and old-fashioned yet liberally peppered with f-bombs and c-bombs (probably too many c-bombs actually , which diminished their effect).

I'm still not sure if parts of the film were actually racist, or calling out racism, or having a dig a people who call everything racist...  

The second one

I don't think it was to be taken as a microcosm of society or anything just one of those exchanges that actually happens 
  • Options
    Just in from David Copperfield. Absolutely loved it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Just seen Jojo Rabbit for the second time (Mrs JS had a rare day off and wanted to see it). 
    Oddly I found it more moving this time. Loved it first time, but it didn’t quite reach me, whereas this time I was in bits. 
    Hadn’t picked up that Captain K (Sam Rockwell) was gay, it took the Mrs to point that out. 
    Terrific film, and if I knew any nazis would love to take them to see it
    I kind of get what you're saying but it's a very weird sentiment.  If I knew any Nazis I'd unknow them asap and never have anything more to do with them.
  • Options
    Colour Out Of Space

I have to write a review for this film later today and I am absolutely, completely stumped. I think it was awful. I think it was really awful. But... it's so fucking strange. If anyone is a Lovecraft expert then please, do feel free to give me a steer on this. 

Plot summary: Family live in remote house in the forest. Something lands in their back garden. Shit gets weird. 

Nic Cage is typically offbeat, and elicited plenty of laughs from the audience (intentionally or otherwise) - there are some quotes in here that are up with his best. The first act, maybe even the first half is pretty solid. Then it goes batshit crazy. Which would be fine if it makes any sense by the end, or if there's any redemption of any kind. But nope. It gets weirder and weirder until you can't take it anymore. 

2/7
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Terrific film, and if I knew any nazis would love to take them to see it
    I kind of get what you're saying but it's a very weird sentiment.  If I knew any Nazis I'd unknow them asap and never have anything more to do with them.
    True. What I meant was I’d hope anyone with those inclinations might be changed by watching this movie. If I knew any nazis I’d probably resort to violence. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Colour Out Of Space

I have to write a review for this film later today and I am absolutely, completely stumped. I think it was awful. I think it was really awful. But... it's so fucking strange. If anyone is a Lovecraft expert then please, do feel free to give me a steer on this. 

Plot summary: Family live in remote house in the forest. Something lands in their back garden. Shit gets weird. 

Nic Cage is typically offbeat, and elicited plenty of laughs from the audience (intentionally or otherwise) - there are some quotes in here that are up with his best. The first act, maybe even the first half is pretty solid. Then it goes batshit crazy. Which would be fine if it makes any sense by the end, or if there's any redemption of any kind. But nope. It gets weirder and weirder until you can't take it anymore. 

2/7
    As soon as I read Nic Cage I zoned out . He must knock out half a dozen substandard films a year now . He’s become the straight to DVD god . 

*ive just checked . He has actually released 6 movies a year for the last 5 years . - Good guess ! 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Colour Out Of Space

2/7
    As soon as I read Nic Cage I zoned out . He must knock out half a dozen substandard films a year now . He’s become the straight to DVD god . 

*ive just checked . He has actually released 6 movies a year for the last 5 years . - Good guess ! 
    I find it frustrating as he can be a good actor, just doesn’t bother trying too hard. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This one is one of his more high profile efforts (rather than his DVD bargain bucket fare) and I was expecting a lot more! 
  • Options
    Is there a cheddar goblin in this one?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Is there a cheddar goblin in this one?
    I have no idea what this means

and don’t want to find out. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Finally caught up with 1917 tonight. Probably expected a little too much but we were a little disappointed. Really liked the one shot malarkey and thought that visually the film was a triumph. Just found the plot all a little unlikely. The plane landing right next to them for example just stretched credibility a bit too far for me. Some very poignant and moving scenes which was to be expected given the subject matter but If it didn’t have me captivated all the way through. Enjoyed it but won’t rush to watch it again. 6.5/10 for me. 
  • Options
    Saw Bomshell yesterday.  Very much a MeToo film but enjoyable nonetheless.  All attention has been on the female leads but the guy John Lithgow who played the lecherous Robert Ailes was great too.

My wife went to sleep soon after the start but woke up half way through.
  • Options
    To be fair though how would you expect characters to develop in a WW1 film? 
    I'm just commenting on finding the characters a bit one dimensional - I was more engaged by the WW1 film Journey's End. Just my opinion.
    Is that the one starring Paul Bettany and Sam Claflin?

I watched a film 'Their Finest' the other day and recognised the lead actor from the very cliche chick flick 'Me Before You' I'd watched a few years ago. Then I looked him up, saw Journey's End in his filmography and remembered your post. I then watched it with low expectations as it wasn't highly rated on movie review sites but was very surprised how great it was. It probably isn't the kind of war film that everyone would like. My mum watched it with me but fell asleep 30 minutes in, only to wake up to catch the ending, while it kept me engaged the whole time and I had tears rolling down my face several times. Before this I thought Sam Claflin was just one of those handsome young actors who could only play rom-com roles but he did a great job in this film and is probably one of the best actors in recent years with good looks that can actually act, and very well. :D

8.5/10. One memorable film. (Totally different kind of film to 1917 though. And I would give 1917 a 9.5 out of 10 ;) )
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    To be fair though how would you expect characters to develop in a WW1 film? 
    I'm just commenting on finding the characters a bit one dimensional - I was more engaged by the WW1 film Journey's End. Just my opinion.
    Is that the one starring Paul Bettany and Sam Claflin?

I watched a film 'Their Finest' the other day and recognised the lead actor from the very cliche chick flick 'Me Before You' I'd watched a few years ago. Then I looked him up, saw Journey's End in his filmography and remembered your post. I then watched it with low expectations as it wasn't highly rated on movie review sites but was very surprised how great it was. It probably isn't the kind of war film that everyone would like. My mum watched it with me but fell asleep 30 minutes in, only to wake up to catch the ending, while it kept me engaged the whole time and I had tears rolling down my face several times. Before this I thought Sam Claflin was just one of those handsome young actors who could only play rom-com roles but he did a great job in this film and is probably one of the best actors in recent years with good looks that can actually act, and very well. :D

8.5/10. One memorable film. (Totally different kind of film to 1917 though. And I would give 1917 a 9.5 out of 10 ;) )
    Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was a really good film and very underrated - only seemed to get a limited release. The acting was excellent and like you I found it very moving.
  • Options
    Watched The Two Popes last night. As an atheist I found it fascinating. Well acted and written too. 
  • Options
    Watched The Two Popes last night. As an atheist I found it fascinating. Well acted and written too. 
    Great film and two excellent actors 
  • Options
    Queen and Slim 
    Enjoyable thriller about a black couple on the run after the shooting of a racist cop. Very atmospheric and the two lead actors work well together. Some good dialogue and echoes of Bonnie and Clyde.
    8/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Colour Out Of Space

2/7
    I worked with the director once - it doesn't surprise me that the film is batshit crazy!
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Colour Out Of Space

2/7
    I worked with the director once - it doesn't surprise me that the film is batshit crazy!
    Wow! Tell me you were in Dr Moreau... 
  • Options
    Just in from Jojo Rabbit, we loved it, made you thunk and the kids are awesome 👍🏻
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Nadou said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Colour Out Of Space

2/7
    No, he was, for a while, the director on a film project that I'd co-written. All was going well and then he suddenly disappeared - literally. No one could contact him, not the famous Oscar-winning producer, not us, nobody. Friends of his hinted that he'd gone to ground for paranoid reasons - he thought mobsters (or aliens for all I know) were after him. He stayed lost so long that the project was finally shelved. Thanks a lot, R, for killing the film. Did you know he turned up on the set of Dr Moreau in one of the bizarre animal costumes before being discovered and kicked off the set?
  • Options
    Just seen 1917 for the third time. Still like it.
  • Options
    Watched Harry's Game over the weekend with someone who was in service during the filming. She thought that it was accurate and definitely couldn't have watched it at the time it was made. 

We all thought that the story line was gripping and was an interesting insight to the troubles for the younger ones in our group in particular. No wonder the people of Northern Ireland don't want a return to those times.

I thought that it tried to walk a fairly neutral line and didn't try and explain the reasons for the troubles, just one particular story that could have been inspired by the Airey Neave(sp?) murder. 

I recommend this. 
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Nadou said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Colour Out Of Space

2/7
    No, he was, for a while, the director on a film project that I'd co-written. All was going well and then he suddenly disappeared - literally. No one could contact him, not the famous Oscar-winning producer, not us, nobody. Friends of his hinted that he'd gone to ground for paranoid reasons - he thought mobsters (or aliens for all I know) were after him. He stayed lost so long that the project was finally shelved. Thanks a lot, R, for killing the film. Did you know he turned up on the set of Dr Moreau in one of the bizarre animal costumes before being discovered and kicked off the set?
    Yeah I read about that in Empire years ago, amazing article about the colossal mess that movie became. He sounds like a lunatic. I think Colour Out Of Space is intentionally weird which doesn’t help it. 
  • Options
    Uncut Gems

9 out of 10 

Brilliant film, Excellently directed, acted and scripted. Adam Sandler is top of his game as is the actress who plays his mistress with a vigour I really admired. 

I had no idea who Howard Ratner is or what his story was nor did I know who Kevin Garnet is so the tension absolutely had me and I did not see the ending coming. 

My missus said it drove her made how chaotic the dialogue was but I thought that made the whole thing more authentic. Thoroughly recommend this film 
  • Options
    Little Miss Idle (24) has just whatsapped to say 'Parasite is fab. Go see it as soon as you can. Solid 9'

• Options
    Saw 1917 today, can’t add anything to what has been said. 

Deserves all its awards, go see it.