Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Oak (yet again)

Comments

• Options
    Full credit for coming on here. Personally I don'y know how anyone can tell the difference between good and bad Fosters, but I guess that's just the beardy real ale fan in me.
  • Options
    last home game I had a couple of JD's and coke and they were excellant, so I'll be back. My friends had that black stuff from Ireland and had no complaints either.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, we now do double up for an extra pound on Vodka, Captin Morgans, Gordons Gin and Bells wiskey. Sorry not on the jack Daniels though but hey its good to have a change. Danielle and Steve.
  • Options
    All very well but why was Pride advertised if it was never on? Why were people told it would be on 'later' when it wasn't?
  • Options
    Hi yes we had it in stock ready to use but the system could not cope with the pressure of using all 4 pumps at once hench all the throth that was coming up. We have since had a 2nd one installed to cope wih this. Sorry it was not on when it said it was but if you
    give us another try im sure you wont be disappointed. Thanks Danielle and Steve.
  • Options
    Old Hooky, Abbots, IPA, spitfire, speckled hen (on draft)
    Proper mans beer. Got to say I dont have a problem with the Oak, I get in early order 4 pints for me and my friend, have a couple more and leave at 2:58.
    Perfect match day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Full credit for coming on here. Personally I don'y know how anyone can tell the difference between good and bad Fosters, but I guess that's just the beardy real ale fan in me.

There's bad Fosters and there's bad Fosters Brentford, it's not you, it's them... ;-)
  • Options
    Pah !
    What do you know ?
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Went to the Royal Oak tonight. The place is an object lesson on how not to run a pub.
    Walked in just over an hour before kick-off. Ordered 4 pints of London Pride. Only to be told "sorry it's run out"
    O/K i say, we'll have 4 pints of I.P.A. Only to be told, "the barrels just gone, can you wait"
    So we wait. Fully 5 minutes later we receive the IPA. One of which i'm pretty sure was made up from the drip trays, judging by the state of it.
    Decide we have time for a second round. Guess what? The IPA is now gone.
    Right we'll have three of the bottled Speckled Hen and one Corona! This costs me twelve quid!!!!!
    Never again. Back to the Bugle for us.

O/K I started this particular thread. It's become quite long and slightly of track. So! how do you answer the complaints i made in the original posting?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Went to the Royal Oak tonight. The place is an object lesson on how not to run a pub.
    Walked in just over an hour before kick-off. Ordered 4 pints of London Pride. Only to be told "sorry it's run out"
    O/K i say, we'll have 4 pints of I.P.A. Only to be told, "the barrels just gone, can you wait"
    So we wait. Fully 5 minutes later we receive the IPA. One of which i'm pretty sure was made up from the drip trays, judging by the state of it.
    Decide we have time for a second round. Guess what? The IPA is now gone.
    Right we'll have three of the bottled Speckled Hen and one Corona! This costs me twelve quid!!!!!
    Never again. Back to the Bugle for us.

O/K I started this particular thread. It's become quite long and slightly of track. So! how do you answer the complaints i made in the original posting?

I thought they did, in quote #28 Daggs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right i've just gone back to #28. I don't see a direct answer to any of my complaints. Just a vague statement 'we don't always stock London Pride'
    At the end of the day, if they don't wish to address my particular complaints, they won't. It's their choice. But as i have said previously. Running a pub in the current climate can't be easy.
    I don't want the Royal Oak to fail, in fact i want it to be a success.
    But matchdays should be their big paydays. My experience has put me off the place, along with others.
    They should take a look at The Bugle on matchdays. It may not be the prettiest pub. But i've never been told 'sorry we're out of Bombadier' and i rarely wait at the bar for more than a few seconds before being served. Even when it's rammed out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]They should take a look at The Bugle on matchdays. It may not be the prettiest pub. But i've never been told 'sorry we're out of Bombadier' and i rarely wait at the bar for more than a few seconds before being served. Even when it's rammed out.

Yeah but have you had to take a beer back with a brown head on it, only to be told 'oooops we forgot to turn the gas on', Carter and I both have, plus the guy who runs the place is a fat knob!!
  • Options
    Sorry to be a pedant Daggs, but "we don't always stock London Pride" is a statement, nothing vague there, they have answered your question.

Four bottles of beer (well three beer and one pose) £3 each - going rate for bottles really isn't it?

The other questions all relate to the speed of service and the quality of the beer. They have stated that this was due to previous mismanagement and the state the place was left in. They have said that they have replaced the previous system that caused the problems, we should take their word on this and give the place another try. If the problems are repeated, then you have every right to return to this forum and slag 'em off to kingdom come. I admire them for making the effort to come on the forum to apologise and explain what they are trying to do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Sorry to be a pedant Daggs, but "we don't always stock London Pride" is a statement, nothing vague there, they have answered your question.

Four bottles of beer (well three beer and one pose) £3 each - going rate for bottles really isn't it?

The other questions all relate to the speed of service and the quality of the beer. They have stated that this was due to previous mismanagement and the state the place was left in. They have said that they have replaced the previous system that caused the problems, we should take their word on this and give the place another try. If the problems are repeated, then you have every right to return to this forum and slag 'em off to kingdom come. I admire them for making the effort to come on the forum to apologise and explain what they are trying to do.

Let's just clear a couple of things up:
    On the day in question they said 'the London Pride has run out' that suggests it was on at some point.
    £3 for a bottle of Speckled (which was my third choice and is less than a pint) seems expensive to me ! You're right about the Corona (that happens with sons in their early twenties) and we didn't even get the Lime wedge!
    It wasn't the first time i had experienced 'difficulties' just the first time i moaned about it on here.
    Every time i've been in there the service has been crap. But it will be better next time !!!!!!
    I genuinely did not wish to, or try to 'slag 'em off' I hoped my criticism was constructive. I keep saying i want them to succeed.
    I admire them for openly confronting the problems too. But i think as far as i and my sons/friends are concerned, they've cocked up once too often.
    Maybe i'll try them again next season (if they survive)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well I tried it after they first took over and claimed all would be well.

My daughter wanted to buy her old man a pint and waited 20 minutes without being served. This was shortly after 1:30. We gave up at that point and walked out.

As Daggs points out The Bugle manages to serve almost straight away.

I admire "Royal Oak Pub" for coming on here but sorry once bitten and all that...
  • Options
    Went there after Millwall and before Tranmere. Absolutely fine both times - quick service and good Guinness. Still like the Anchor best, but Oak suits very well when you want to stay close to the ground. I'd have no hesitation going back. Was very busy pre Tranmere too, so hope they are doing OK.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Sorry to be a pedant Daggs, but "we don't always stock London Pride" is a statement, nothing vague there, they have answered your question.

Let's just clear a couple of things up:
    On the day in question they said 'the London Pride has run out' that suggests it was on at some point.
    £3 for a bottle of Speckled (which was my third choice and is less than a pint) seems expensive to me ! You're right about the Corona (that happens with sons in their early twenties) and we didn't even get the Lime wedge!
    It wasn't the first time i had experienced 'difficulties' just the first time i moaned about it on here.
    Every time i've been in there the service has been crap. But it will be better next time !!!!!!
    I genuinely did not wish to, or try to 'slag 'em off' I hoped my criticism was constructive. I keep saying i want them to succeed.
    I admire them for openly confronting the problems too. But i think as far as i and my sons/friends are concerned, they've cocked up once too often.
    Maybe i'll try them again next season (if they survive)

Thats fair enough Daggs, can't say I blame you.
  • Options
    Went to the Oak for the first three home games but no London Pride or other drinkable stuff and no sign of any improvement. Now go to the Lib, despite the poor service, lousy beer and surly customers, because it's CL free.

Went again today and it was a whole lot better. Choice of real ales and served straightaway every time. Now worth going to, so I'm going again on Tuesday.
  • Options
    On a positive and relatively unrelated topic I had an excellent pint of Tribute in the Black Horse in Bexley Village on the way back from the game!
  • Options
    I know the real ale was on and fresh for the Yeovil match today because there was none early Friday evening "because we've just put new barrels on to settle for the football fans."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Atleast when Dick Turpin held you up he wore a mask, pint of fosters and a pint of bitter £6.70 ? It's a traditional pub in charlton in which used to have a great atmosphere in which has resorted to one charging west end prices and is half empty
  • Options
    WhenIwasLittleboy - I thought you had this wrong about the prices until this evening. They have decided to put the beer prices up 25p per pint for Charlton fans! Sorry, but that does it for me as a matter of principle. I'll find somewhere else on matchdays.
  • Options
    Prices up by 10p a pint from saturday. I paid £2.50 for a pint of Pride on the opening game of the season. I was charged £3.10 for the same last night.

And guess what? No draught ale AGAIN from about 7pm onwards.
  • Options
    Was alright in there last night . Mad russian bloke at the bar was a laugh
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Prices up by 10p a pint from saturday. I paid £2.50 for a pint of Pride on the opening game of the season. I was charged £3.10 for the same last night.

And guess what? No draught ale AGAIN from about 7pm onwards.

Bought 3 pints of pride at 20 past 7.
  • Options
    It was ok on Saturday after the game, pricey tho I was on the wife beater and the old man was on the bells, he asked for a whiskey mack as we walked in to warm him up but got asked what it was then they had no ginger wine.... the little guy and his brother who we had a thread on few months back was in there too, some very old familar faces in the on sat too.
  • Options
    Coming up with a few mates tommorrow gonna give it another go from about 12.30 see how goes
  • Options
    Go there almost every matchday, never have a problem. Think they have employed a few more stuff since complaints on here as well
  • Options
    What brings the change bourne?

Are your friends Jills?

shall be in the oak after for definite not sure where beforehand.
  • Options
    I cant take to the lib its drab!! I know the service is better but i'm just hoping the oak will get its act together!!

Yeah a couple are half interested in the gills and a couple are neutrals but were just having a lads day out so it should be good fun. We may head to the lib but unsure yet