Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

our strikers..

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
too similar or just plain cr*p ?

Monney & Burton can't play together as they both want to play with their backs to goal, laying the ball off - neither an turn and run at defenders.

Leon Mackenzie doesn't look like he can do it either and Dickson is becoming a cult hero ala Leaburn..........can't score.

unless we sign someone with a eye for goal then we will stuck in the division for a god few years to come.......which is something I can't bear thinking about.

I think its time we sold Shelvey and used the cash ( £1m ? ) on a decent striker, either we face next season without Bailey, Sam , Semedo and Racon too !!!

Comments

• Options
    I agree we need someone in up front... I've heard about this little black guy scored a few goals for colchester?
  • Options
    wot strikers do av any.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I agree we need someone in up front... I've heard about this little black guy scored a few goals for colchester?[/quote]

Heard Millwall wanted him but his wages were the stumbling block.
  • Options
    our strikers.....Are on Strike!
  • Options
    Well Burton is still in the top 6 of goalscorers in the league so he can't be that bad.

Yes though, we need somebody prolific to push on until the rest of the season. Will we get someone? No.

We need that left side added to with a touch of creativitiy to simply create MORE chances for the strikers we have got because at the moment we are relying on them taking the FEW chances they get.
  • Options
    Burton has got the experience and although I am not a big fan of his, he is the best we've got.

The rest are pretty poor, Mooney is too weedy and lightweight, maybe Dickson or Mckenzie need a run in the team but have we got time for that?

Lisbie would be good but his wages would be a problem for us too.

We aint got no money to buy.

Oh dear....looks like we're doomed!
  • Options
    Dickson is not and never will be the answer. He ball watches and never seems to react until it is too late, he is lazy and dangles a leg out when trying to control a ball. Yet he obviously has something I cannot see as he has scored goals for BR this season. Yet I do not rate him at all
  • Options
    Dickson looked like a Dulwich Hamlet player during his cameo last night - very disappointing and this is from someone who has been clamouring for him to be given a chance.

I think Burton and McKenzie is the way to go for Saturday. McKenzie looks like he is raring to go and we'd better give him a chance before he gets injured in training and we don't see him again for a while.
  • Options
    If last night Dickson was the answer, what was the question???!!!!

Burton is by far our best striker and PP took him off after 65 minutes! Terrible decision. Mooney was jank all night. If we are gonna play this long ball game then we have to start burton and McKenzie on sat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If last night Dickson was the answer, what was the question???!!!!

Burton is by far our best striker and PP took him off after 65 minutes! Terrible decision. Mooney was jank all night. If we are gonna play this long ball game then we have to start burton and McKenzie on sat.

Burton may have been suffering who knows?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]If last night Dickson was the answer, what was the question???!!!!

I know I was
  • Options

I know I was

Lol, he looked pretty comfortable though, and was really starting to look dangerous.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Dickson is not and never will be the answer. He ball watches and never seems to react until it is too late, he is lazy and dangles a leg out when trying to control a ball. Yet he obviously has something I cannot see as he has scored goals for BR this season. Yet I do not rate him at all

He's a goal poacher, dangles a leg out and pokes it in, that's all he's good for.
  • Options
    Unless we bring in a pacy striker who looks to get behind, then we better hope to god that Leon Mc gets a run, and him and Deon gel and make it work.

I'm not sure i can see another combination there that can work to be honest
  • Options
    Should never have let Scott McLeish go 15 years ago....was obvious it was going to haunt us.
  • Options
    For all the issues with the midfield not dominating like they were at the start of the season, we really need to find a system or pairing that will work.

Looking back, Mooney is the only forward to score from open play (Hartlepool at home) since the start of the year - and the one before that was Burton on 5 December!

Can't really be too critical of them as individuals - we're not exactly in the market for born goalscorers - but we just don't seem to be posing much of a threat at all.
  • Options
    They are,without doubt ,the biggest problem we have.
    When we signed Burton i thought,fair enough.Not a natural goal scorer but Good squad player.Will probably come on now and again for ten minutes.He is now our number one striker.
    Mooney.Weak,Weak,weak.
    Sodje.Never heard of him before we signed him and now i know why.
    Mckenzie.?????????
    There is no way we will get out of this league with the forwards we have.
  • Options
    We haven't got any strikers, they're all forwards that's the problem.
  • Options
    We played our best football this season when Shelvey played in the hole. Not sure we have a striker to take advantage of him there now Sodje, Burton and Mooney have lost whatever they started with.

I think we play better football when Jonjo is in the side, because he's technically a bit better than most. Plays good passes quickly. Bound to be in and out of form at 17 but I think it's important we keep him and play football out of this division. We're not going to win the battling game.

As the wise man Beavis said, "Change it, Butthead!"
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Should never have let Scott McLeish go 15 years ago....was obvious it was going to haunt us.[/quote]

Nor Charlie McDonald.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just why is McKenzie still with us? Parky presumably thought that he would do a job for us and yet in almost 6 months with us he hasn't started a single match in any competition.

Yes he's been injured but not for the duration and as stated above the likes of Mooney, Burton and Sodje aren't doing it.
  • Options
    We have not been a real threat up top all season. Take Burton's penalties away (pens could be scored by a player from any part of the pitch) and see how many our front players have contributed all season. It is evident as Carly Burn says, that it is without doubt our biggest problem. Some of the front players we have may look good in other areas of the pitch, but in front of the onion bag, they are well below what is required. Not a natural goalscorer between them in our squad, but there are a fair few spread around this division who will get their share. Ours "strikers" unfortunately do not and we therefore rely on other areas of the team (particularly Bailey) to provide the majority of our goals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

unless we sign someone with a eye for goal then we will stuck in the division for a god few years to come.......which is something I can't bear thinking about.

Tuna Tamer???
  • Options
    Its all shit
  • Options
    We aren't creating many chaces at the moment though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: robinson crusoe[/cite]We aren't creating many chances at the moment though.
    depends how you define creating ? a few clear examples of decent balls into the box and the strikers being nowhere to be seen tonight. Or do you mean waiting for them to get into goalscoring positions and putting it on a plate for them ?
  • Options
    Is harsh on Burton - remember he creates a lot of chances. If we had a real goalscorer instead of Mooney, and a better targetman instead of Akpo (who isn't great in the air), Burton would look a better player as he'd have partners playing off his strengths.
  • Options
    Agree on Burton, 13 goals and 8 assists show how important he is.

And don't give me the penalities rubbish. He needs someone good playing off him.
  • Options
    strikers midfielders defenders .... the players not playing always seem a better bet than some who are..... until they are then playing !
  • Options
    depends how you define creating ? a few clear examples of decent balls into the box and the strikers being nowhere to be seen tonight. Or do you mean waiting for them to get into goalscoring positions and putting it on a plate for them ? 1 to 27 of 27

Think the key word here is many. A couple of decent crosses from Sam tonight I agree but over the last few games we haven't created alot. I sgree with you that our forwards seem to wait for chances rather than make something happen.