Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mooney

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Northern_Monkey[/cite]So Ferguson's rubbish because Rooney couldn't score against Leeds?

I could be persuaded to agree with this :-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Mooney had a very poor game last night (the worst I've seen from him by some distance) but he's been quite a good addition to the squad.....take no notice of DFT.....he's never happy unless he's singling out someone to blame and has posted other insulting stuff about Mooney recently.[/quote]

"Singling out someone to blame"?

They were all fucking shit!
  • Options
    bloody irish ...lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Mooney had a very poor game last night (the worst I've seen from him by some distance) but he's been quite a good addition to the squad.....take no notice of DFT.....he's never happy unless he's singling out someone to blame and has posted other insulting stuff about Mooney recently.

"Singling out someone to blame"?

They were all fucking shit!

Never would have happened if Curbs had have been at the helm though DFT....egh??
  • Options
    Here until the end of the season now:

Mooney deal extended
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Here until the end of the season now:

Mooney deal extended
    I'm quite pleased about this...he's a decent enough player with a good all round game....though it's gonna take me a while to forgive him for 'that miss' on Monday evening!
  • Options
    Agreed, I've seen far worse strikers in a Charlton shirt - he at least looks like he has an idea how a striker is supposed to play (movement, positioning etc). He's not likely to bag 15 goals between now and May because he doesn't look to be a clinical enough finisher, but he gets lots of chances and makes them for others so you never know, he might hit a hot streak.

Most of all though, we've got the security of knowing he's ours for the rest of the season and not just on a month by month basis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]but he gets lots of chances and makes them for others so you never know

This is so important to remember.

Players who miss lots of chances ........ only miss them because their reading of the game, anticipation and movement get them into a goalscoring position in the first place.

Don't forget, if you're not actually in the right place at the right time, it doesn't matter how clinical a finisher you are, you won't score many.

It's a numbers game. A decent striker always reckons to convert 1 in 3 chances.
    That means he misses 2 of them.

If you expect strikers to average a better return than that, you have to go and watch Real Madrid.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Players who miss lots of chances ........ only miss them because their reading of the game, anticipation and movement get them into a goalscoring position in the first place.

Or because they can't shoot straight.

If Mooney has a weakness it's that he needs to develop a much harder shot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Players who miss lots of chances ........ only miss them because their reading of the game, anticipation and movement get them into a goalscoring position in the first place.

Or because they can't shoot straight.

Okay, that's a given ....... but if a Mooney was a clinical finisher, he'd be £30mill striker for bleedin' Man Yoo, right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As would McLeod and Carlo would be talked about in the same breath as Pele.
  • Options
    Oggy i've been saying that for zonks and regularly get ripped for it.

Darren Bent, and higher up Fernando Torres miss LOADS of chances, because they are always there to miss them. If they didn't have the instinct/positional sense then their conversion rate would be far higher.

Top man, finally someone who agrees!
  • Options
    yippee, I'd rather Mooney than Dickson any day of the week. Saying that I still feel we need another one but hopefully not Sodje, I really don't think he is the answer
  • Options
    Mooney was bloody awful the other night, how anyone could say he looked good on tv must have either have been on drugs or watching ROONEY.

Jeez a loo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Oggy i've been saying that for zonks and regularly get ripped for it.

Darren Bent, and higher up Fernando Torres miss LOADS of chances, because they are always there to miss them. If they didn't have the instinct/positional sense then their conversion rate would be far higher.

Yay! I'll buy you a drink next time we're in Walkies, in Plymouth!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Mooney was bloody awful the other night, how anyone could say he looked good on tv must have either have been on drugs or watching ROONEY.

Jeez a loo.

On the other hand he got on the end of a sam cross and headed over 1st half had 1 tipped over the bar and 1 fluffed effort 2nd half.

It was off night for all but I wouldnt mind betting that he would be our top scorer this season if he had been with us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Mooney was bloody awful the other night, how anyone could say he looked good on tv must have either have been on drugs or watching ROONEY.

Jeez a loo.

On the other hand he got on the end of a sam cross and headed over 1st half had 1 tipped over the bar and 1 fluffed effort 2nd half.

It was off night for all but I wouldnt mind betting that he would be our top scorer this season if he had been with us

I Second that, if he had played all season would defo be our top scorer. Yes he is not a natural goalscorer, but neither is Burton but he's doing ok, im basing he would score more then burton as he gets more chances and is more out and out striker then him. be nice if we could have this arguement next season who will score more Mooney or Burton, I think they are both capable at championship if we go up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]

Jeez a loo.

I Second that, if he had played all season would defo be our top scorer. Yes he is not a natural goalscorer, but neither is Burton but he's doing ok, im basing he would score more then burton as he gets more chances and is more out and out striker then him. be nice if we could have this arguement next season who will score more Mooney or Burton, I think they are both capable at championship if we go up

Mooney would be far to lightweight for the Championship. Hence why Reading have loaned him out. He doesnt poses good enough other qualities to get away with it.
  • Options
    Know what you mean, so far Mooney has done ok, looks a decent League One player but nothing more. Bit like Waghorn to me, decent all round and overall better than McLeod or Dickson, but doesn't really stand out in any area.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Oggy i've been saying that for zonks and regularly get ripped for it.

It was the old argument with Lisbie wasn't it ISaw? Half the reason he copped the stick he got was because he kept getting chances to miss. Someone like JJ got off more lightly at the time because he was never getting anywhere near the goal so never got the chance to miss.

Doesn't change the fact he missed them and we didn't score a goal so the end result is much the same, but at least we had a chance of scoring so by law of averages did once in a while.
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

Burton's record shows the goals would dry up again for him next year - I still think he'd be an excellent player to have linking up the play, but we'd really need to find a striker to partner him who would get well into double figures over the season and ideally 20 plus.

Mooney is still developing, don't forget he's not that long come over from the Irish leagues. I think the raw materials are there and he could be come a decent Champs striker if he works hard at his weaknesses (he would need to get physically stronger for a start) but I'd go into next season (if in the Championship) with a fair amount of trepedation if Burton and Mooney were likely to be our first choice front 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burton and Mooney are both intelligent, hardworking players with a decent touch - and they could score enough goals between them, given enough chances.

But what bothers me is the lack of pace .........one of them needs to be nippier, with a burst of acceleration to take him past the defender. And at 33, I'm not expecting it to be Burton.

Burton is the key man, no doubt - so he needs a speedy, pacy-er partner than Mooney.
    Somebody in the style of a 3rd Division Darrent Bent would be perfect - shame Dicko or McLeod couldn't step up to the plate.

As it stands the combination has that fatal flaw of lack of pace.
  • Options
    Has Burton ever started a game alongside either Dicko or Mcleod though? Dicko has hardly ever started so it seems unlikely - it was him and Sodje at Brentford. Mcloed tended to replace Burton as a sub, rather than join him, earlier in the season. Not suggesting it would make a huge difference to how Dicko or Mcleod would perform, but they'd surely fair better than being played on their own or with another pacy, off the shoulders striker.

Mckenzie is of course the other option (if fit enough) and I don't think it's fair to judge him until we've seen him statt a few times. Some more pace coming from the wide areas might help too.
  • Options
    McKenzie has certainly got the experience, it depends a lot on whether he is fit.

A fully fit McKenzie would be a viable option.
  • Options
    I don't think anybody can defend Mooney after that performance, not even his "love child"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I don't think anybody can defend Mooney after that performance, not even his "love child"

absolutely shocking...even the way he started to run off when the subs were being made was funny, he couldn't believe himself that he stayed on...one of the worst 'centre forward' performances I've witnessed.
  • Options
    unless we get another striker in I can see us scraping into the play-offs and then it's down to luck. Mooney was awful, but then again I've thought that from the off so it's no surprise to me.
  • Options
    If i read anyone comment on here that we shouldnt be so harsh on Mooney because he works his socks off, i think ill rip my eyes out. The man (i use that term loosely) is supposed to be a striker. When he plays the full 90 minutes then it highlights how poorly equiped we are up front. I dont think he would stand out playing in Kent League football!!!!

16000 people there today and im pretty sure all are faster and stronger than David Mooney. I might take my boots to Swindon next week on the of chance....
  • Options
    We desperately need a pacey striker who knows where the goal is and Dickson is not the answer, I know things are tighter than a duck's arse at the moment but somehow, someway, I am praying we manage to get someone in.
  • Options
    When we went changed from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 at the beginning of the season who played up top with Burton?