Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mooney

124»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I wouldn't mind if he was signed full-time in the summer and then we could work on the one or two defects in his game. He gets in good positions and reads the game well, but needs to be stronger and definitely to find a bit more acceleration over the first couple of yards. In the box that makes the difference between carving out a few chances and not quite getting there. When the chances he creates are better, so will his conversion rate improve.

On the whole I see more plusses than minuses.
    Does he have that sort of room for improvement though? I don't see him getting significantly stronger or quicker at his age. If he was 18/19 then maybe, but he's not.

My understanding is that he is "an Irish Chris Dickson" in that he got spotted playing League of Ireland stuff which equates to our non-league roughly.

If that is correct he may not have previously had the opportunity or advice to put the hours in with the weights to build up a bit of muscle and strength.

He'll never be a Premiership player but he is decent at this level and, if he can improve his physical attributes, has the footballing inteligence and movement to do a job in the Championship. As I've said before Reading are struggling so I'm surprised they released him since I'm not aware they are under any financial pressures. That said some would say Moo2 is good enough to play at our level or better yet is left out.

I guess different managers fancy (in a footballing sense!) different players.
  • Options
    Assuming Mckenzie is too crocked to start then he's easily our best partner for Deon.

He isn't a world beater but that's why he has been sent on loan by a struggling Championship club. Idealy we would want someone with pace to play off Deon but the only two players in that mould were Dickson and McLeod and they clearly were not good enough to contribue anything else to the team.

He isn't strong or quick but at least knows how to play his position.

As for Akpo, I missed the Swindon and Yeovil games and have been distincly underwhelmed in the games I have seen him in.
  • Options
    "I love it here, absolutely love it. When I walked in here it felt like home, so hopefully we can get promoted and push on."

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=35665
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice to read but he's hardly likely to say I'm using my time here to gwt myself a move to another club, so I think I'll take it we the proverbial pinch of salt. If you read the whole interview he doesnt really commit to wanting to move here. Reading will probably want a fee so a perm deal is unlikely anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah screw him the money grabbing b*stard!
  • Options
    Mooney - Actim Stats for League 1 to date:

Games Played: 12
    Goals: 4
    Assists: 2
    Shots on Target: 16
    Shots off Target: 11
    Hit Woodwork: 2

For 12 games, Mooney has had a hand in 6 goals. Hes getting shots on target and hes coming close to increasing his score tally with 2 post shots! If you ask me, based off his stats, Mooney has definitely helped with his loan move this campaign thus far!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    He has two assists according to that but against Milwall he was instrumental in the first three goals as well as a vital role in the third goal against Bristol Rovers at Home and Waggys winner at Stockport. Thats five assists imho added to his 4 goals.
  • Options
    I think he's been a handy little player for us, he was fantastic on sat, although porb should have tested their keeper more with the other chances he had.

Would deff approve on him signing perm in the summer, what ever league we're in, think he'll still score in championship aswel aslong as gets the service
  • Options
    The stats surprise me, maybe he is putting in more than it looks like.

I am always willing to give a player a chance and love to be proved wrong by any player (in a Charlton shirt!) who I have slagged off.

Prove me wrong Mooney and get us promoted!
  • Options
    Results with Mooney starting:

S'hampton 2-1 Charlton
    Charlton 5-1 MK Dons
    Yeovil 1-1 Charlton
    Charlton 4-2 Bristol R
    Brighton 0-2 Charlton
    Charlton 1-0 Southend
    Stockport 1-2 Charlton
    Charlton 4-4 Millwall
    Wycombe 1-2 Charlton
    Charlton 2-1 Hartlepool
    Charlton 0-1 Leyton Orient
    Charlton 1-1 Tranmere
    Charlton 2-0 Yeovil

Played: 13
    Won: 8
    Drawn: 3
    Lost: 2
    Goals (Mooney): 4
    Goals (CAFC): 27

Results with Akpodje starting:

Charlton 2-2 Swindon
    Brentford 1-1 Charlton
    Walsall 1-1 Charlton
    Swindon 1-1 Charlton
    Bristol R 2-1 Charlton

Played: 5
    Won: 0
    Drawn: 4
    Lost: 1
    Goals (Akpodje): 0
    Goals (CAFC): 6

Results with Jonjo starting as a second striker:

Charlton 3-2 Wycombe
    Hartlepool 0-2 Charlton
    Orient 1-2 Charlton
    Charlton 2-0 Walsall
    Tranmere 0-4 Charlton
    Charlton 2-0 Brentford
    Charlton 1-1 Southampton
    Norwich 2-2 Charlton
    Charlton 2-1 Exeter
    Colchester 3-0 Charlton
    Leeds 0-0 Charlton
    Charlton 0-0 Oldham
    Northwich 1-0 Charlton
    S'hampton 2-1 Charlton
    Swindon 1-1 Charlton

Played: 15
    Won: 7
    Drawn: 5
    Lost: 3
    Goals (Shelvey): 2
    Goals (CAFC): 22

Not sure if that actually tells us anything, but I was bored and it took me ages so thought I might as well post it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even though you can argue most things with statistics, those do seem to favour Mooney especially when you consider that one of the losses he has played in (Saints in JP), Mooney played as lone striker, a role he clearly is not suited to. Also the games Mooney has started imho include some of our best performances going forward especially against MK Dons.
  • Options
    Akpo is pony
  • Options
    Saying he's better than Akpo is not saying an awful lot really is it?
  • Options
    not happening for akpo is it really.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All this Mooney bashing is really starting to frustrate me. I wasn't at Southend, but from reading Henry's post on the post-match ratings, apparently our own fans were chanting "off, off, off!". What's that all about?!

No matter how bad one of our own players play, it's completely unacceptable.

It's most definitely on another level from boo'ing the team as a whole at the full time whistle (which I've never done). Directing abuse at one player only must be soul-destroying for the guy and is that really what we want for one of our more intelligent strikers? No, it isn't.

Admittedly, it's clear he's going through a bad run so let's get behind him next Saturday with a few chants of "Moooney, Moooney!" early on in the game, because all he needs is a bit of confidence and I am sure he will come good and play a major part in our promotion push.
  • Options
    He's starting to put me in mind of Martin Pringle.