Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

lloyd sam

Comments

• Options
    lol
  • Options
    Genuinely cannot believe the stick that is dished out on this forum to Lloyd Sam. He is a long way down my list of players I would like to replace. Scoham gets it spot on about LS.
  • Options
    heart the size of a lion
  • Options
    Bailey has been in excellent form over the last few matches and was maybe due a bad game, overall he's in credit for the season.
  • Options
    I'm putting Lloyd Sam to bed now & am therefore leaving the mass debating skills to you lot - goodnight
  • Options
    can't be bothered to read this entire thread but was amazed at the amount of stick sam got at the game last night, people straight on his back as soon as anything went slightly wrong, pretty much all our threatening moments come from down his side, thought him and richardson consistently caused problems, yet when wagstaff came on he was mediocre lost the ball several times and ran about largely like a headless chicken yet he got loads of encouragement. sam is so hard done by and i do not understand it personally.
  • Options
    Just had another look in the ratings thread, Sam's range from 3 up to 8, so from very poor to very good...
  • Options
    Lloyd was terrible 1st half, offering no support for Richardson. He looked exhausted after about 20 minutes. His shot in the 1st half was embarrasing. I very rarely slag off any Charlton players but at the moment he is not playing anywhere near the standard that he can. When he was the leagues player of the month back in August or September he wasn't even our best player let alone the leagues. He only really played with any drive at the start of the 2nd half until all the subs had come on.Once that had happened he produced nothing again.
    He seems unable to actually go round a defender and was shown on a couple of occasions by Richardson in the 1st half how to attack with drive and pace. When we broke in the 1st half he constantly drifted into the middle of the park and reduced the space for the central midfielders to play in. Bailey kept telling him to go wide but he just seemed drawn to the ball like an under 11's match. Is he scared to get any white paint on his bright yellow boots.

Yes he did put a couple of half decent crosses in in the 2nd half. but how many times did he get in behind them only to drag the ball back and try to beat his man again.

As I said earlier I generally support ALL the players but Lloyd recently has been well below par. And before anyone says so have others, yes but this thread is about Lloyd SAm
  • Options
    drives me insane has ability dont use it sort of hides in his shell and i hate those silly f-----g boots he wears needs to believe in himself a bit more all in all he is frustrating.
  • Options
    Why does he have to try and beat defenders with pace? He's not a Rommedahl type winger who had more pace than skill, he can create space to cross using his dribbling ability, something he does most games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam is not actually that quick. I'm not saying he is slow and he is quicker than many at this level but there are full backs as quick as him. I reckon Youga and maybe even Richardson would beat Sam in a race over the length of a pitch although Sam has the priceless gift of acceleration over a short distance of 5-10 yards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sam is not actually that quick. I'm not saying he is slow and he is quicker than many at this level but there are full backs as quick as him. I reckon Youga and maybe even Richardson would beat Sam in a race over the length of a pitch although Sam has the priceless gift of acceleration over a short distance of 5-10 yards.

Actually he holds the West African Schools record for the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1,500m, the 4x100m relay and the long jump
  • Options
    but he was born in yorkshire
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]but he was born in yorkshire

Leeds in fact! He must be a spy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]but he was born in yorkshire

Leeds in fact! He must be a spy!

You're right he was born in Leeds but his family moved to London two months later.

His family later moved to Senegal which curtailed his involvement in Charlton's youth set up & it was at the Dakar Academy where he was to nuture his footballing talent as well as track & field plus volleyball.
  • Options
    your related to him i reckon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sam is not actually that quick. I'm not saying he is slow and he is quicker than many at this level but there are full backs as quick as him. I reckon Youga and maybe even Richardson would beat Sam in a race over the length of a pitch although Sam has the priceless gift of acceleration over a short distance of 5-10 yards.

could he sprint that far without blowing out of his a*se ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sam is not actually that quick. I'm not saying he is slow and he is quicker than many at this level but there are full backs as quick as him. I reckon Youga and maybe even Richardson would beat Sam ina race over the length of a pitchalthough Sam has the priceless gift of acceleration over a short distance of 5-10 yards.

could he sprint that far without blowing out of his a*se ?

OK then - he was also the Dakar Academy record holder at 60m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, broad jump, long jump & triple jump
  • Options
    Many will always find a way to slag him off, Sam ..... I should leave them to get on with another night of mass debating.

;o)
  • Options
    To be quite honest Oggy - I couldn't give a toss ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm actually defending him!

Somebody commented that he should use his pace more rather than dribble like he does. I'm trying to explain that he doesn't because his pace is explosive over 5 -10 yards rather than a sustained distance which in football is often enough. Stanley Matthews at the age of 50 was still reckoned to be quicker than most over 5 yards which enabled him to beat a man but he no longer had the stamina to keep doing it.

*cue "Len says Lloyd Sam is better than Stanley Matthews" *

:-)
  • Options
    Never had the pleasure of seeing the boy play but almost every Charlton fan i have spoken to says he is second best if not best player.
  • Options
    Amazed at this thread really. How on earth is he lazy? He's one of our best players and often has 2 players doubling up on him as so much of our play goes down our right.
    If there is any criticism of him, it's that he should get his cross in quicker on occasions instead of trying to beat his man again.
  • Options
    Whatever Sam Lloyd says, I agree with her.

;o)
  • Options
    Because we have no left wing threat AT ALL, most of the play (predictably) goes down the right AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

It's so obvious that any opposition manager (doing their homework) will inform their players to double/treble-up on him, which they are doing every time, SURPRESSING our only threat.

Have a quick look in the box the next time Lloyd checks back. Is there anyone in the danger area to play the ball to? Most of the time (not all) NO there is not, which is why he is checking back.

4-3-3 anyone?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That last point is often true, especially was when we played 451.

Seems it's really his style of play people don't like, get the feeling many would be happier if he simply sprinted past the full back and whip crosses in quickly assuming someone will attack them. The good thing is we have Wagstaff who is more direct and can play like that. When we're trying to break down defensive teams I'd much prefer Sam though as he's more likely to keep possession and be patient, which is what you need to do when teams have 11 men sitting back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]That last point is often true, especially was when we played 451.

Seems it's really his style of play people don't like, get the feeling many would be happier if he simply sprinted past the full back and whip crosses in quickly assuming someone will attack them. The good thing is we have Wagstaff who is more direct and can play like that. When we're trying to break down defensive teams I'd much prefer Sam though as he's more likely to keep possession and be patient, which is what you need to do when teams have 11 men sitting back.

I have underlined what I would like him to do.
  • Options
    Which will probably give away possession as none of our team have caught up with him yet, so there's no-one in the box.
  • Options
    Lloyd needs to up his game by 50% on Saturday for me to change my mind, he needs to stop looking tired after 10-15 mins and get past the fullback atleast 10 times in the 1st half and 10 in the 2nd time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Lloyd needs to up his game by 50% on Saturday for me to change my mind, he needs to stop looking tired after 10-15 mins and get past the fullback atleast 10 times in the 1st half and 10 in the 2nd time
    So basically he needs to play like a top Premier League winger dropped into League One? Why go past a full back when he can get a cross in?

It's like saying you expect Bailey to win 10 tackles in each half and never give away the ball not even once.