Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Men in hats

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Now then, back in the day fellas used to think nothing about donning the old titfer at every opportunity. You only have to look back at the pictures of packed terraces from the 30's/50's/whenever to see that some sort of headgear was definitely the norm. Trilbys, bowlers, flat caps, pork pies - doesn't matter what it was a man was not properly dressed without his trusty barnet topper.

However these days, for reasons unbeknown to me (but hopefully for the purposes of good taste) it seems that hats for men are most definitely the exception rather than the rule - probably because most people look absolutely bloody stupid in one.

So, what I want to know is, when is it "acceptable" for a grown man to wear a hat?

All I can think of is,

1/ Because your job dictates and you have no choice (e.g. copper, fireman, builder/hardhat, etc).
2/ Because you are as bald as a coot and the weather is so cold outside you will die if you don't.
3/ Because you are the co-founder/administrator/torpedo loader at a well known Charlton Athletic Football Club fans internet forum and if anyone takes the piss they will be banned.

Grown men in hats = tits. FACT.

Comments

• Options
    Off_It, do you have any pictures as examples of your three rules?
  • Options
    It's very true. Sad though, I like a good hat! But agree that 99% of the time blokes under about 60 look daft in them.

Fancy Dress is a good excuse, I'm going as a musketeer to my birthday at the end of the month - wig and sword to play with as well as a hat!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]It's very true. Sad though, I like a good hat! But agree that 99% of the time blokes under about 60 look daft in them.

Fancy Dress is a good excuse, I'm going as a musketeer to my birthday at the end of the month - wig and sword to play with as well as a hat!

Think you miss the point.

Hats are great, but not everyone can look good in one
  • Options
    Neil, I was thinking about adding "for a laugh/comedy value", but I thought that would be too easy a cop out.

For example:
    "F*ck me. What the f*ck you wearing on your head Dan?"
    "Oh, it's just to win a bet mate"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Off_It, do you have any pictures as examples of your three rules?

1 & 2 are easy - just have a look on Google images.
    3 is a different beast altogether. I would've taken a picture but, a) I was with someone from work so couldn't go into normal pish-taking mode, and b) was chuckling so much I'd never have held the camera still long enough.

Altogether now - my old man's a dustman, I've gawn and nicked ee's 'at, I'm wearing stripey trousers and I look a proper prat!
  • Options
    Gutted I missed this!
  • Options
    i thought flat caps were the sort of thing 'trendy' kids who support millwall wore .... or someone suffering a mid-life crisis who felt the desperate need to look younger and more 'trendier'
  • Options
    plaayer falls into the latter.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The world was a better place when men wore hats and drank Ale. FACT. ;)
  • Options
    I love to wear a hat... but i'm also going grey which might play a part in why i love wearing one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to love having a Hat sitting on my head.... Hattie Jones she was called from college... those were the days...
  • Options
    Lol, very good.

Just me grateful I was wearing it the right way round and not in reverse as some form of Boyzone tribute !

Add cricket umpires to your list
  • Options
    A good mate called the Hat wears one,not a surprise really the clue being in his name.
    which is george.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]A good mate called the Hat wears one,not a surprise really the clue being in his name.
    which is george.

i thought his name was Jack
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]A good mate called the Hat wears one,not a surprise really the clue being in his name.
    which is george.
    Class name, 6 kings of Britain have been called George, but I don't get the connection to hats!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]plaayer falls into the latter.

I think you'll find I'm allot further away from mid-life crisis age than you are mate!
  • Options
    My side-parting takes me 45 minutes to get perfect, the last thing im going to do is mess it up with a hat.
  • Options
    I have been sort of lost with most of this post, but i wear a red charlton beanie hat cos its cold! so what category do i fall under?
  • Options
    When you see old films, newsreels etc of some of the great actors/entertainers of the 1940's and 50's like Frank Sinatra, James Stewart, Robert Mitchum regularly wearing hats they just look so cool and very natural. See someone like that annoying little twat peter docherty wearing one he just looks what he is, a total tosser.
    If my memory isn't deceiving me, our very own Soundas used to sport a very natty pork pie hat back in the early/mid sixties.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]I have been sort of lost with most of this post, but i wear a red charlton beanie hat cos its cold! so what category do i fall under?

helmet

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]I have been sort of lost with most of this post, but i wear a red charlton beanie hat cos its cold! so what category do i fall under?

helmet

;-)

Oi that was uncalled for!!! misery guts
    ;-)
  • Options
    sorry johnnybev ..... i just need a new poker touney to give me a lift !!
  • Options
    I am just about to buy myself a very nice newsboy hat, very good vintage 50's look (Algarve would appreciate it anyway)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]sorry johnnybev ..... i just need a new poker touney to give me a lift !!

haha fair enough, i did post the other day but no-one eg. Wss & TK got back to me :-(
  • Options
    FoD

George means hat in Kidbrooke.
  • Options
    The new bloke who started in my office today is 24 years old & wore a trilby to work this morning!
  • Options
    i bet his name is George.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The new bloke who started in my office today is 24 years old & wore a trilby to work this morning!

That is proper busy. I bet he listens to the Raconteurs and drinks in Camden.
  • Options
    That is proper busy???????
  • Options
    Hatless Jack Kennedy, lazy journo's and tv historians like to credit him with the hat revolution. But it's just a series of generations rebelling against their fathers, seen all the way throught the 20th century.

Wear a hat anytime, as long as you're not a nob doing it indoors.