Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops you no longer see

Comments

• Options
    High and Mighty?
    Asking for a friend.....
  • Options
    Governors.way out west le peal regal sports.
  • Options
    Now called John Forseys in Park View Road

Gentry Sports by Welling corner.

Although not sure if the fishing and gun shop versions are still by Danson Park?

• Options
    There is still a Woolworths in Berlin!
  • Options
    Snowdons the tailors as was John Collier
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

bellz2002 said:

Posting without reading all 20 pages but I remember going into Poppins on Orpington high street with my nan over 25 years ago. That was a treat. I don't see them around anymore.

Theres still one down here in Worthing. I also noticed one in Bognor Regis at the weekend
    Is Gamley's still going?
    Nope I think Gamleys went early 2000s. Used to always go in the one in Worthing.
    The Gamleys in Brighton Town Centre used to be spread over three floors it was so big. Was the highlight of any shopping trip with my Mum and Dad.
  • Options
    I suspect all these long gone shops are now fast food outlets or charity shops.
  • Options
    At the risk of repeating myself: (Can't be bothered to scroll through 606 comments)

When I were a lad (got to be diverse and inclusive for @Leeds_Addick ) Herbert Road SE18 was where our local shops were and a trip to Woolwich was a 'treat.' Strange but true.

Anyway opposite the Lord Herbert was Burns the Barbers owned by 'Deadly' Dudley Burns. He won't be there now. If he was he'd be over a hundred. There was also a supermarket type shop called Delroys, a Fishmonger the name of which escapes me at the moment and a red fronted stationer cum bookshop called Dingles.

On the Barnfield Gardens side there was a petrol station and my grandad used to fill his van up there. 'Good morning Sir what would you like?' 'Four gallons and four shots please' Grandad would reply. No idea now what 'shots' were although I would have asked the question at the time. All I can say is that I don't mean the little glasses of alcoholic drinks my daughters used to drink! There was also a butcher called Eatwells.

I've been nowhere near Herbert Road in 40 years and some of those had gone then. I'll be amazed if any of them are still going.
  • Options
    DA7 said:

There is still a Woolworths in Berlin!

And Munich
  • Options
    C&A...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

At the risk of repeating myself: (Can't be bothered to scroll through 606 comments)

When I were a lad (got to be diverse and inclusive for @Leeds_Addick ) Herbert Road SE18 was where our local shops were and a trip to Woolwich was a 'treat.' Strange but true.

Anyway opposite the Lord Herbert was Burns the Barbers owned by 'Deadly' Dudley Burns. He won't be there now. If he was he'd be over a hundred. There was also a supermarket type shop called Delroys, a Fishmonger the name of which escapes me at the moment and a red fronted stationer cum bookshop called Dingles.

On the Barnfield Gardens side there was a petrol station and my grandad used to fill his van up there. 'Good morning Sir what would you like?' 'Four gallons and four shots please' Grandad would reply. No idea now what 'shots' were although I would have asked the question at the time. All I can say is that I don't mean the little glasses of alcoholic drinks my daughters used to drink! There was also a butcher called Eatwells.

I've been nowhere near Herbert Road in 40 years and some of those had gone then. I'll be amazed if any of them are still going.

Had to Google that Len.

Dating back to 1922, Redex has been a part of driving history for decades. Many drivers remember getting a shot of Redex at petrol stations, as a quick and easy addition to the fuel tank to improve engine performance. Redex even had its own club, which gave loyal Redex users special benefits.

https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/story/
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The shots were Redex, which cleaned the upper part of the engine (the cylinder head) and keep carbon deposits down.

• Options
    Riviera said:

C&A...

There is one in Amsterdam.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Burn's a few years back still a barbers, my Grandmother worked in Delroys and lived in Barnfield and both Grandparents drank in the Oak? in Barnfield. We used to visit them on Sundays 09.30 until they went to church (the Oak) at 11.45. Dingles I believe was at the top of the steps in Herbert rd opposite the Fishmongers which is now a chippy I believe.
  • Options

Riviera said:

C&A...

Whoooosh!
  • Options
    Willies world of football/sport on plumstead corner? Mid/late nineties.
  • Options
    Gamages
    Bourne and Hollingworth
    Monte Cristo at Blackfriars
    Hector Powell
  • Options
    Our Price Records.
  • Options
    Dewhursts
    Radio Rentals
  • Options
    DER
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unwins and Victoria Wine
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Unwins and Victoria Wine

Or basically any chain of Off-Licences, been killed off by the supermarkets and licensing of convenience stores.
  • Options
    I don't know if it has been mentioned but once nearly everyone went to Rumbelows, in my case where I rented a TV, because I could not afford to buy one and many others did the same
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    LenGlover said:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    ross1 said:

I don't know if it has been mentioned but once nearly everyone went to Rumbelows, in my case where I rented a TV, because I could not afford to buy one and many others did the same

And now TV's are 10 a penny! Burglars don't even bother taking them. We were a D/E/R family. I remember going with my Mum to pay the rent in their shop in Plumstead, had green carpet tiles.
  • Options
    Saw a new (I think) Madhouse shop in Maidstone today (chequers centre). Reminded me of Cromwell's Madhouse - used to love that place as a kid.Joe bloggs jeans etc that my brother always bought.
  • Options

Riviera said:

C&A...

there is a huge C&A in Innsbruck
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

Riviera said:

C&A...

there is a huge C&A in Innsbruck
    Double WHOOOOOSSSSHHHHHH!!!!