Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops you no longer see

Comments

• Options
    Harry Fentons
  • Options
    tower records, daddy kool records and those awful angus aberdeen steakhouse places
  • Options
    Dales
    Ravels
  • Options
    Anyone old enuf to remember the Snooker Club above Fosters in the old Bexleyheath Broadway? It was opposite the Clock, where 'Game' is now. You walked up a side staircase to it and was buzzed in. I remember Andy Townsend was a member there. Good old Fred the owner, sadly now gone. Moved to Sidcup High street. Initally in a portakabin behind the high street then above the shops opposite where the old cinema was. His son Steve took over running the business................ahh, memories.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Just read the whole thread, I would like to contribute Dales Menswear shops and Catford Dogtrack.

First mention I've seen on t'internet for Dales menswear. My first post-school job was at Dales - worked in Woolwich, Sidcup, Lewisham and New Cross branches. They basically made cheap copies of trends of the day. I remember their farahs copies - with a d (for dales) instead of an f label!
  • Options
    Blockbuster
  • Options
    The bakers across the road from where I lived.

We moved....
  • Options
    Kiddie City (Lewisham Centre) - the birthplace of my very nerdy and very many hundred piece Star Wars collection. A small store, but they refreshed stock quickly and did good deals.
  • Options
    Index, the catalogue shop, basically Argos mark 2.

Do It All, diy chain, can still remember the jingle from their tv ads.
  • Options
    Pavo said:

Kiddie City (Lewisham Centre) - the birthplace of my very nerdy and very many hundred piece Star Wars collection. A small store, but they refreshed stock quickly and did good deals.

My mum was the manageress.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pavo said:

Kiddie City (Lewisham Centre) ...

Closed as part of Operation Yewtree? ;-)
  • Options
    Anyone remember Regal Sports along Eltham High Street opposite the church?
  • Options
    Marriots toy shop on Stanstead Rd And Dartmouth Rd in Forest Hill
  • Options
    Cecil Gee - now gone I think?
  • Options
    WH Cullen anybody?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Marriots toy shop on Stanstead Rd And Dartmouth Rd in Forest Hill

Marrotts was a sports shop in Dartmouth Road. Bought my first Adidas/ Puma trainers in there around 1972. Also sold subbuteo teams and remember buying a black and white continental leather football from there, when most other sports shops were still selling lace-up leather footballs.
  • Options
    Club Sports Wellington Street, Woolwich, also Sams Surplus Store & Faith Bros
  • Options
    record shops generally i used to spend a lot of time in TW in Erith when I was at school. There was also one in Sidcup High St that sold cheap European imports of regular Lps, so my copy of Dare by the Human League had Greek on the label!
  • Options
    ads said:

tower records, daddy kool records and those awful angus aberdeen steakhouse places

The steak house places still exist, there's at least 2 within 5 minutes of Leicester Square
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Blockbuster

just read through 19 pages... all the time ready to post a triumphant BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO at the end, only to be beaten to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mickc said:

Club Sports Wellington Street, Woolwich, also Sams Surplus Store & Faith Bros

Sams was where i bought a pair of cherry red cappers.......that i think were bigger than me at the time.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Soon to be Toys R Us and Maplin, maybe New Look and House of Fraser in the not too distant future!

Karma in some ways for Toys R Us as they killed the independent toy stores and now Amazon has killed them..
  • Options

dizzee said:

Blockbuster

just read through 19 pages... all the time ready to post a triumphant BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO at the end, only to be beaten to it
    Never liked that place ever since I asked if I could borrow 'Batman Forever' and the bloke said 'No, it's got to be back by Tuesday.'

Or should that be on the 'jokes you never see any more' thread?
  • Options
    Me and the missus used to love a stroll round Toys R Us.
  • Options
    showell toys
  • Options

showell toys

The big one on the corner of the Oval?
  • Options
    meant the one in eltham used to go there with my nan and grandad, didnt know if it was still about.

gameraiders in crayford?
  • Options

Anyone remember Regal Sports along Eltham High Street opposite the church?

Always used to go swimming in Eltham baths around 84/85 on a Saturday morning then come out and head over to Regal and look longingly at the trainers until finally my Dad bought me a pair of Nike vandals.
  • Options
    Was there a shop down the end of Bexleyheath Broadway called Woodruffs or something similar. I used to buy all my Subbutteo teams there?
  • Options

Was there a shop down the end of Bexleyheath Broadway called Woodruffs or something similar. I used to buy all my Subbutteo teams there?

It was just past the Danson lights going towards Welling. Used to sell guns I think!