Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops you no longer see

Comments

• Options
    Just had a flashback, remember Bejams in Eltham which is now Iceland & Booers the stationers up by the fire station - wasn't there a pub next to the fire station which is now part of the station??
  • Options
    Kennedys (used to be one in The Market Place in Bromley and another down near Bromley South Station)......the cold meats and savoury shops.....their sausage rolls were fantastic.
    Used to be dotted around all over SE London at one time.
  • Options
    Just had a flashback, remember Bejams in Eltham which is now Iceland & Booers the stationers up by the fire station - wasn't there a pub next to the fire station which is now part of the station??
    Man of Kent. It was a good old Courage pub.
  • Options
    Kennedys (used to be one in The Market Place in Bromley and another down near Bromley South Station)......the cold meats and savoury shops.....their sausage rolls were fantastic.
    yes a great kennedys fan ...branches in peckham,deptford,camberwell my nan would never get her sausages/sausagemeat/mince (for mincepies) anywhere else ...fantastic green and beige livery /decor aswell

i remember getting a nice bit of veal and ham pie from the camberwell shop one lunchtime and some libertarian ,behind me in queue, tutted at me !
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    yes a great kennedys fan ...branches in peckham,deptford,camberwell my nan would never get her sausages/sausagemeat/mince (for mincepies) anywhere else ...fantastic green and beige livery /decor aswell

i remember getting a nice bit of veal and ham pie from the camberwell shop one lunchtime and some libertarian ,behind me in queue, tutted at me !
    As a kid I remember the one in Catford lolwray.......that went yonks ago of course.

There were two Kennedys chains....the original one was started in Peckham/Camberwell....near the art college, where the kitchens/bakery were.
    The other chain was started by the daughter of the original Kennedys family and branched out to the outer suburbs........ Croydon & Bromley for example.
    She carried on for quite a lot longer and it wasn't so long ago that they dissapeared altogether.....such as the two Bromley shops....Penge....South Norwood etc.....a real shame.
    Those wonderful interiors were fantastic and took you back pre war....tiled walls, white marble countertops, gold and green paintwork and huge mirrors. I can even remember sawdust on the floors.
    An iconic SE London chain of shops..........sorely missed by many who remember them.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Sweetins toy shop in powis street Woolwich (Back in 77 my grandad bought me over £100 of Star Wars figurs and everything else that the shop had to do with the film. I sold it all in about 88 for £25!!!!!! It would now be worth without boxes over £4000!!!)

GUTTED!
  • Options

As a kid I remember the one in Catford lolwray.......that went yonks ago of course.

There were two Kennedys chains....the original one was started in Peckham/Camberwell....near the art college, where the kitchens/bakery were.
    The other chain was started by the daughter of the original Kennedys family and branched out to the outer suburbs........ Croydon & Bromley for example.
    She carried on for quite a lot longer and it wasn't so long ago that they dissapeared altogether.....such as the two Bromley shops....Penge....South Norwood etc.....a real shame.
    Those wonderful interiors were fantastic and took you back pre war....tiled walls, white marble countertops, gold and green paintwork and huge mirrors. I can even remember sawdust on the floors.
    An iconic SE London chain of shops..........sorely missed by many who remember them.
    youd probably remember the old "criterion" coffee bar on the same parade as kennedys in Catford ...just to keep yr nostalgia juices flowing !

• Options
    edited March 2012
    It was called Marcantonios (might also have been known as Criterion Ice Creams).........me and mum would be in there every week during the 1950's and early 60's.
    The same family also had a coffee bar/cafe at Blackheath Standard, in the parade of shops opposite where Marks & Sparks now is.
  • Options
    I don't live near most of you, but netto!
  • Options
    Victor Values in Plumstead and Zodiac toys in Woolwich
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nuxley Toys in Welling is closing soon, if it hasn't already.
  • Options
    Lams Models in Plumstead High Street - He was the only one who did all the Tamiya range.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Edit: Nuxley Toys in Welling has now definitely gone.
  • Options
    Harry Fenton

(sorry if it's already been mentioned)
  • Options
    http://www.retailresearch.org/whosegonebust.php

Interesting read on recent shops getting into trouble or going bust.
  • Options

Nuxley Toys in Welling is closing soon, if it hasn't already.

Yeah shame to see them go, used to spend a lot of my childhood in the Bexleyheath branch. Believe they still have a shop in Gravesend.

• Options
    Don't know if these are there, Cuffs, and Garrets in Powis Street Woolwich,Stones,(electrical/radios)
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Don't know if these are there, Cuffs, and Garrets in Powis Street Woolwich,Stones,(electrical/radios)

Worked in Garrets one summer as a delivery assistant, delivering furniture to flats without lifts if I remember.
    I appreciate that department stores have had there day, but the two stores above, along with the co-op gave a real heart to the shopping centre of Woolwich.
    Along with the covered market, and market, you had a wide and diverse group of shops. My favourite was sams the ex-army surplus stores. They had all sorts of stuff in there, god knows who bought it. I bought a RAF great coat, and got it dyed black, along with a couple of bags for my school stuff. The shop had a distinct smell of army material, it greeted you as you walked in. I remember Alpat which I used to buy stuff one month to sell back at the end of term, mainly records and the like. Excel bike shop was an excellent shop as well, always going down for brake parts. For some bizzare reason I used to ride a fixed wheel bike with one brake. After about three times of coming off, going over Woolwich common I thought bugger this being 'flash' and sold the bike.
  • Options
    C & A, John Menzies
  • Options
    jackjf said:

Danish firm .. English stores have all been bought by ASDA/Walmart
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

jackjf said:

Correct, hence why there is 2 asdas in Bexleyheath!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

jackjf said:

and in Grimsby along with 3 Tesco and 5 Sainsbury of various sizes from 'corner shop' to 'megastore' ... and 2 Aldi
  • Options

jackjf said:

and in Grimsby along with 3 Tesco and 5 Sainsbury of various sizes from 'corner shop' to 'megastore' ... and 2 Aldi
    Really? Thats crazy.

Tesco's are everywhere down south now. 2 in Welling (soon to be 3), 1 Blackfen, 2 Sidcup.

Also in a weird turn of events, people of Sidcup have sent a petition to the Mayor of London's office in protest of Waitrose NOT opening a store in the town centre.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Mind you, when I say in Grimsby/Cleethorpes that is the whole town which would be the size of (say) Lewisham, Catford Bellingham and Downham as well as the suburbs. Also, Grimsby as a shopping centre serves a lot of villages and small towns 'inland'. And that's not to mention a lot of SPARs, a Morrisons and local general stores, Ramsdens for example which is a bit like Gamages, if you remember them or Bodgers in Ilford ... oh M&S foodstore is always packed, but no Waitrose much to the dismay of my 'posh' friends
  • Options

I was in Woolwich today and the huge Woolwich Equitable building is now empty apart from a doctor's surgery taking up a tiny part.

Milletts, well no longer see it in Eltham High St.

How about C&A?

Used to work for the Woolwich Equitable in Woolwich around 1973/4.
    Remember my daily commute on the 51 bus from Welling.

Plenty of Milletts still around, some going under it's other name of Blacks.
    Same company.

Many C & A stores in Europe - big one in Marseille, for example.

• Options
    That furniture shop in Croydon....
  • Options
    Woodruffs Sports Shop in Bexleyheath.......................and Gentry's Gun Shop in Welling
  • Options
    TK Records Bexleyheath

Co-Op Bexleyheath (massive store where Primark and others there are sited)
  • Options
    Our Price records
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Woodruffs Sports Shop in Bexleyheath.......................and Gentry's Gun Shop in Welling

Gentry's is now John Forsey Guns/John Forsey Bowls.